PDA

View Full Version : Time for a Shop Tour

Dick Parr
09-14-2004, 6:14 PM
Since the shop is half way clean, :eek: I thought it was time for a shop tour. I was waiting for the shop tours section to be added to the Creek but since it is clean, now’s as good a time as any. :D It is 24’ x 24’ with a 10’ ceiling. There is a 3’ entry door and a 9’ overhead door. It has a window air conditioner which keeps the shop at 70 degrees in the summer when I’m out there and a direct vent natural gas heater that is set to 60 degrees in the winter. Lots of lighting, and 110 plugs everywhere, every 4’ on the wall and 5 extra ones in the ceiling with 220 outlets in the walls and ceiling to reach anything I need.

The First picture is looking into the North East corner of the shop which just shows the gas heater next to the clamp rack. It is behind the rack of wood blanks that need to be used before winter so I can get to the heater. Also shown on the north wall is my dust collection piping to the CMS and RAS. There is a hose run to the table saw and band saw along the floor. To the right on the East wall is the window air conditioner and a work bench with storage below. Also shown is my main work table which for now has my grinder and wolverine jig and 1” belt sander on it.

The Second picture is looking into the North West corner of the shop. In this picture you can see the Grizzly table saw, old 12” lathe, 15” Grizzly planner, 6” Jet jointer and a can of clamps. Also a small router table and the Grizzly 1029 dust collector and the air cleaner on the ceiling. My small workbench and vice are there also. The wood rack is also in this picture with a portable sheet good cart below. Since I am really not building large stuff anymore, this cart is going away this week to make room for the planner, jointer, shaper and sander to fit. If I do anything big, it will be cut up and used and not stored as before. It just takes up allot of space I need (2-1/2’ x 8’).

The Third picture is looking into the South East corner showing the wash tub and metal storage cabinet and my shelving. The shop vac, drill press and oscillating sander is also shown. In this corner is a plug for a sewer hookup which I added for resale at a later date.

The Forth and last picture is looking South West, showing the 18” band saw and Jet Mini lathe. Against the overhead door are the Delta shaper and Grizzly combination sander. You can see the high speed grinder and Wolverine jig and the 1” belt sander. That little (1/3 hp) motor is the one off the old lathe.

Thanks for looking. :D

Tyler Howell
09-14-2004, 6:19 PM
Great work space! Now we know where some of your great creations are born.:cool:

Thanks for sharing.;)

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-14-2004, 6:28 PM
Looks great Dick. You have a very nice setup there, for sure! :)

The cleanliness rivals that of another creeker..................I'm sure everyone knows who that is! :rolleyes: Looks great...........it sure is nice to walk into a nice, clean shop, huh? I love a clean and organized shop.........the REAL challenge is keeping it that way! :D

Chad Pater
09-14-2004, 6:43 PM
Very nice and well organized too. Thx for letting us all take a look.

ps I was just over at shoptour.org not long ago and was going to try and get John M to update his tour on there and this reminded me to do that. Sorry for the hijack.

Chad (from 1 -0 Viking land)

Michael Stafford
09-14-2004, 6:46 PM
Nice looking shop, clean, well lit and bright and pleasant to work in. I'm envious.

Boyd Gathwright
09-14-2004, 7:05 PM
.... Got that clean but “worked in” look.<O:p</O:p

Looking smart.

Boyd ;)

Thanks for looking. :D

Lloyd Frisbee
09-14-2004, 7:22 PM
I like your high tech clamp holder. Where can I get me one of them? :D

Bruce Page
09-14-2004, 7:25 PM
Great looking shop Dick! It's nicely laid out & organized.
Your shop is about the same size as mine so why does it look sooo much bigger? It must be that beautiful high ceiling. Thanks for posting

Mark Singer
09-14-2004, 7:57 PM
Dick,
It is a great shop! Well planned! Well executed! Well done!

Chris Padilla
09-14-2004, 8:02 PM
Sigh, permanent spots for equipment...how I long for such things.... :)

Very nice, Dick.

Rich Konopka
09-14-2004, 8:07 PM
Nice Pics !!! Your shop looks so big for 24 square. Do you find yourself cramped?

BTW, When is trash pickup at your house? I can use some clamps !! :eek:

Wes Bischel
09-14-2004, 8:22 PM
Wow - look at all that headroom! I bet I could fill that with all sorts of junk!! :D Really nice shop Dick. You're either really lucky, or have worked really hard to get where you are.

Wes

Steve Stube
09-14-2004, 8:34 PM
A real nice shop there Dick. Clean, bright and well equipped. You have a lot packed in it but all organized so it doesn't have a cluttered look at all. Thanks for the tour.

Jim Becker
09-14-2004, 8:48 PM
Excellent and bright shop, Dick!! Thaks for the tour!!

Frank Pellow
09-14-2004, 9:09 PM
Nice bright shop Dick. I think that having a 10' ceiling everywhere and having white walls and ceiling really helps.

I hope that, once finished, mine will be as bright and look as good.

mike lucas
09-14-2004, 9:10 PM
If you had not given the shop size, I would have guessed it to be the size of mine. 32'x32' For some reason it looks much larger then 24'x24'. And as the others stated, it is well lit, layed out, and clean.
Nice job! Congrats.

Jerry Olexa
09-14-2004, 9:16 PM
Good looking shop Dick!! Clean and well organized not like mine,

JayStPeter
09-14-2004, 10:21 PM
Nice shop. Thanks for the tour.

Jay

Jim Ketron
09-14-2004, 10:45 PM
Nice Shop Dick!

what Grizzly TS is that? Ive been looking into getting one of them How do you like it?
Jim

Joe Mioux
09-14-2004, 11:03 PM
Hi Dick:

Thanks for letting us take a peak. It looks like a shop that gets used alot. One suggestion though, if I were you, I think I would keep all those clamps in the garbage can. They still look like they can be used.;) :D

Thank you for the tour
Joe

Sparky Paessler
09-14-2004, 11:19 PM
Great looking shop Dick! The high ceilings really do make it seem larger. I'm slowly working on mine.

John Miliunas
09-14-2004, 11:57 PM
Very nice and well organized too. Thx for letting us all take a look.

ps I was just over at shoptour.org not long ago and was going to try and get John M to update his tour on there and this reminded me to do that. Sorry for the hijack.

Chad (from 1 -0 Viking land)

Good call, Chad! I first need to take Dick's lead and get mine cleaned before I get the Kodak out! :rolleyes:

John (from 1-0 Packerland!) :D

Dick Parr
09-15-2004, 1:27 AM
Thanks everyone for the nice comments on the shop.

It has taken about 12 years to get to the point it is now. I started out in a two car garage with everything on wheels along with the two vehicles. After about 5 years the wife got tired of the sawdust mixed with the washing, since the washer and dryer are in the garage. So when she said to get it out, I jumped on it. After starting out with cheep tools I learned to save and get the best you could, even if you had to go without it for awhile.

So after a couple of upgrades over the years I think I have everything that I can use. :eek:

Jim, the table saw is a G1023SL and I love it. :D It has been great right out of the crate.

Thanks again everyone.

John Miliunas
09-15-2004, 7:55 AM
Dick, very well done! I think what you have reflects what many of us have gone through, are in the process of or would love to do! Very fine example of shop evolution and quite nicely done, I might add! :) Two points, though: 1) As others have said, as long as you're throwing those clamps into the trash, I'll be happy to take them off your hands! :D 2) It looks like you've put a fair amount of time and effort into your DC system. Might I suggest that you switch out the very first turn to your main run for a pair of 45's or, at least, a long-sweep 90*? Just a bit smoother flow.... :) Otherwise, looks GREAT and I envy your ability to keep so neat and tidy! :cool:

Dick Parr
09-15-2004, 8:22 AM
Thanks John, The can might go! :eek: If I can find enough space along the wall to store them. :confused: I have the one clamp rack in the corner and behind the drill press are some Bessey clamps (10). I all ready have clamps stored around the sides of the large bench/table. But that can is more of pain the a help. If anything I might break down and build one like Norm did in an A-Frame style.

Thanks for the elbow/smoother flow suggestion. That might get fixed today. I want to change the drops to the CMS and RAS to run below the stands (will catch more dust) and finish off the runs accross the ceiling to the drill press and lathes. That will be a good place to start. :D

Thanks

Kelly C. Hanna
09-15-2004, 8:31 AM
Nice shop Dick!

Bob Hovde
09-15-2004, 8:54 AM
Nice shop! Not only that, you have all sorts of nice toyls! We can all dream - someday... :D

Bob

Ken Fitzgerald
09-15-2004, 10:14 AM
Nice, well lighted shop Dick! Someday I hope mine will be similar!

Chris Padilla
09-15-2004, 11:01 AM
After about 5 years the wife got tired of the sawdust mixed with the washing, since the washer and dryer are in the garage. So when she said to get it out, I jumped on it.
You know, I tried to pitch this to the wife (about moving the w/d) but she barely thought about it and said no. So, now I'm losing a piece of the garage and am now sectioning off the w/d area to keep things cleaner. Oh well. :)

Thomas Canfield
09-15-2004, 2:41 PM
Looks GREAT. You have something to br really proud of and hopefully will get lots of use and enjoyment from. What are you plans for dust collection and handling? I saw the unit on the ceiling for airborne dust, but no central system or other dust collection unit.

Dave Right
09-15-2004, 3:02 PM
Thanks for the tour. I am still in the process of setting up my new shop and
appreciate the view. Looks like you have spent a lot of time getting it just right.