PDA

View Full Version : another bandsaw ?

Jack Mincey
09-12-2009, 8:14 AM
I do mostly wood turning in my home shop. I've sold enough bowls and game calls lately to put back enough to buy a good band saw for my home shop. Right now I use a 18" jet at the school shop I teach at to cut bowl blanks and slab out lumber out of small logs which I dry for making game calls or stoppers. All I will say about the Jet is that it does cut what I need. It is not a saw I want in my home shop. I'm looking to buy a saw with 12" or more resaw, NO VIBRATION, and one that I don't have to use visegrips to tighten down the knobs that hold the table where you want it. I've been leaning towards a MM16 or Laguna16" classic, not sure about Laguna customer service. Here of late I've been looking at Grizzly too. Does anyone have this saw and if you do what do you think of it. http://grizzly.com/products/17-Ultimate-Bandsaw/G0636X . It would save me enough that I could upgrade my air compressor this spring as well. I want a saw that will last me the rest of my life, hopefully a long time. http://www.forums.woodnet.net/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowbiggrin.gif
Thanks,
Jack

Jeff Willard
09-12-2009, 9:57 AM
I can't speak for the Grizz, but I have a Laguna LT14SUV, and it's everything you desire in a bandsaw, and then some. C/S with Laguna has been a non-issue.

Carroll Courtney
09-12-2009, 11:36 AM
While I don't own either of those bs,but I do have an older PM 141 and I like it.But over the yrs and several tool purchases I have learned the hard way, that you only get what you pay for.I know,we all have heard this before but sometimes we think it don't apply to us.Since you do make some money through sales, you should shoot for something at the top and it will pay for itself over afew yrs and provide life time of enjoyment(used or new).For me IMO giz is not top of the line.(I do own giz products)Better post pics of your purchase or it did not happen----Carroll

Josiah Bartlett
09-13-2009, 3:20 AM
I really like how smooth my 16" Walker Turner runs. It also weighs 700 pounds. An old cast iron machine will get you smooth running. The downside is that it took me a year to find an old iron machine that was in good shape at a price I was willing to pay.

I don't know how well balanced those Jet wheels are, but on some of the cheaper new saws you may have to fettle the balance and tire crown a bit to get them to run smooth.