PDA

View Full Version : how to checkout used dewalt scroll saw

tom coleman
09-11-2009, 11:17 PM
I have located 2 dewalt 788 sales on craigs list for under $300. I know zip about scroll saws. If it runs smooth w minimal vibration, cuts smoothly, sound good, easy to change blades, and looks like new with all manuals.............can I go wrong?

David DeCristoforo
09-11-2009, 11:26 PM
MSRP is $872 "Street price" can go as low as $450 but you almost always get stuck for an extra bill for the stand. So if the saws you are considering meet all of the criteria you mentioned (you pretty much covered it) and include the stand, three hundred would be a decent (although not really "gloat worthy") price for a used one.

John Terefenko
09-11-2009, 11:47 PM
I have located 2 dewalt 788 sales on craigs list for under $300. I know zip about scroll saws. If it runs smooth w minimal vibration, cuts smoothly, sound good, easy to change blades, and looks like new with all manuals.............can I go wrong?

Tom

You can get a brand new one for about $450 with stand and light. If you are going to look at them a few things to look for beside making sure it does run. Look at the motor name plate, if it has type #1 on it it was one of the originals that were made in Canada and they were top shelf. If it has a Type #2 it was made in Tawain and they have since gotten their act together so they still are a great saw. But there were some early problems.

Things to look for.

Put a blade in and run it through its speeds and place your hand on the table and check for too much vibration. Make sure the saw is sitting on level ground though.

Watch blade travel from the front. Should not see any wobble in the blade. ( yes that is fixable but just be aware of it or make the person aware that you are aware)

Listen for a knocking sound. This too is fixable but was one of the early complaints when they moved.

Make sure you can easily place a blade in the clamps and there is enough blade at the top to easily tighten the thumb screw. Some of the newer saws had a problem with this until the new company finally corrected it. But alot of saws hit the market before then. There is a fix for this also.

Make sure the speed control works and the blade tension works well.

If the person used the saw I am sure that all things were working and if it is a type #! it is a bonus. Good luck. They are a very very good saw to do scrollsaw work with. As for price I told you what a new one goes for so work from there. Hope this helps.

Dave Lehnert
09-12-2009, 3:54 PM
Just make sure it runs OK. There has been some issues with sawdust getting under the big red power switch and muck things up.
Also some issues with the upper arm knocking but it is just a matter of adjusting. No big deal.
My guess the guy knows what the saws sell for new but you may want to try and get him down on price. Lowe's 5 or 6 years ago??? had the DeWalt saw with stand on clearance for $199. May be all he has invested in it. Never know.

May want to read this so you have some idea what to look for.

http://www.scrollsaws.com/SawReviews/DewltTuneUp.htm