PDA

View Full Version : ShopNotes hardbound back issues...a good deal?

Josh Reet
09-11-2009, 7:48 PM
Being new to the woodworking game, there's plenty of great info in every issue of Wood and ShopNotes. I noticed that ShopNotes offers a collection of their past 8 years for $160 to subscribers. Anyone bought this? Is it a good deal?

I've got to say that I wouldn't ever advise that someone buy 8 years of most photography magazine back issues simply because of too much repetition. After a while, they all get to sound the same and the articles all seem like repeats. But that may just be a function of those magazines not being that good.

Josh Reet
09-11-2009, 10:37 PM
I also notice they have 3 years worth (05-07) for $70. Maybe that's a better deal.

Or maybe not. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

David Freed
09-12-2009, 2:49 AM
I subscribed to Shopnotes when they introduced it and have every issue. The first 2 or 3 years were great. Now it seems like they are always just made-over reruns. I still am receiving it, but have considered not subscribing next time around.

Eddie Darby
09-12-2009, 3:03 AM
If I was just starting out, then it might save some time searching through all the magazines, through all the years.
Otherwise I would be more inclined to be driven by the need to build a specific project that I need done, and just get that specific issue.
I have probably bought about 40% of there issues over the years.
It is a nice resource to have around.

Denny Rice
09-12-2009, 3:48 AM
I also believe ShopNotes is a very good magazine for the beginner or novice woodworker. When you are first trying to learn this hobby there are a lot of basic things you just don't know, (like setting up a shop) and Shop Notes is great with a lot of cool ideas. I also do agree that it seems like every couple of years they seem to "re-run" the same ideas over and over, maybe just changing a little of this or that but the article is basicly the same. I did see about 6 months ago a very cool top for a standing drill press in their magazine, I plan on building soon. On the other hand, if you buy more than 2 issues of the magazine in a yrs time its probably a much better deal to go ahead and buy a yrs subscription at 24.00 a year. I think the last time I went to the bookstore and purchased one copy with tax it was over 7 bucks. I don't think the hardbound copies would work very well in a shop setting. The magazine comes punched out with holes in it for a 3 ring binder, I would go to a office supply store and purchase a 3 ring binder for a yrs work of ShopNotes after I pd. 24.00 for a yr subscripition. JMHO

Denny Rice
09-12-2009, 3:53 AM
I forgot to mention, What I usually do to the magazines I subscribe to and I find something I like or I want to remember what issue of the magazine that article is in. I usually take a mailing label and stick it to the front of the magazine then write on it (example: drill press top) that way I don't have to hunt and search through 20 magazines to find the article.

Prashun Patel
09-12-2009, 5:30 AM
I vote for just building your collection over time. There's no rush, and the articles do overlap.

The best thing I got from Shopnotes was the Small Shop Essentials publication they sent me when I signed up.

Jon Toebbe
09-12-2009, 9:57 AM
When I was just getting started I was able to find pretty much every back issue of ShopNotes and WoodSmith on eBay. I'd also strongly recommend you take a look at Woodworking Magazine. They only publish quarterly, but I've found virtually everything in every issue to be valuable. It's a little more hand-tool oriented, which I dig. Plus, I think it illustrates how much you can do with a relatively small set of tools. That's an encouraging message when you're just starting out. :)

Johnny Pearce
09-12-2009, 11:23 AM
A " wanted-to-buy" here on SMC's classifieds for back issues or entire lots can bring great results sometimes $1-2 +shipping an issue.

Josh Reet
09-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Perhaps I will give the WTB and/or ebay a try.

Thanks everyone.