PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Twill

Brian Robison
09-11-2009, 6:12 PM
Anyone out there cutting PSAP from Twill USA?
I've got some questions.

Larry Peterson TX
09-11-2009, 8:00 PM
Brian -

I have cut this, mostly successfully. What do you need help with?

Brian Robison
09-11-2009, 10:05 PM
Today is the first time I've cut it. My issue is applying it.
I thought when I bought the PSAP it was going to be reverse cut and then I could just weed and heat press.
Well, now I know I have to cut it normal and I'm not sure how to keep everything in it's place to apply. Regular transfer tape won't work. Can I use my green laser mask tape as a transfer tape? It there a special tape I should have bought?

Larry Peterson TX
09-12-2009, 11:32 PM
Brian -

Are you planning on stitching the pieces onto a garment, or relying on the heat/pressure adhesive for your bond? For designs with many small pieces we prefer to use a second layer and just have the background piece act as a carrier, even when we stitch them down. Placing many small pieces can be a pain, if not impossible to place correctly individually. If you are stitching your twill, the placement stitches will provide the pattern for your placement.

Brian Robison
09-13-2009, 7:41 AM
Thanks Larry, it was a logo with a lot of words and "stuff". It was a pain. I used just the heat press. weeding was a nightmare. I used a 4" wide laser mask tape for a transfer tape and that part worked great. In the future I need to figure something else out. I may go with a different material and have it cut on a plotter.

Phil Salvati
09-14-2009, 12:17 PM
We also use the second layer as a backer....

If the words don't have to be in an exact place.... we just use a piece of high heat tape for sublimation after the twill is cut to remove, weed and place on the garment. Works like a charm for chest designs and names on jerseys!

Brian Robison
09-14-2009, 2:16 PM
I cut using 20% speed and 12 % power 5000 htz. (I think) and it didn't seem to cut with a nice constant line. Stringy fibers when weeding.