View Full Version : Thinking about turning a pen from aluminum rod.

Scott Coffelt
09-14-2004, 5:09 PM
Questions:

Who has done it?
How easy to turn?
Did you use the brass tubes or just drill the rod for a size smaller?
Sanding techniques?

Wes Bischel
09-14-2004, 5:26 PM
Scott,
There is a Yahoo group devoted to this subject called "aluminumpen". It's on offshoot of "penturners", another Yahoo group. I have not done this, so I'll leave the rest to those in the "know".

Wes

Chris Padilla
09-14-2004, 5:36 PM
Scott,

I've turned aluminum and brass...on a metal lathe with appropriate metal working tools. Obviously this worked beautifully and really does nothing to answer you question. :)

Obviously, you are hoping to use your existing wood lathe tools. I guess if you look at how its done on a metal lathe, you might be able to do that on a wood lathe....

Wes Bischel
09-14-2004, 9:38 PM
Scott,
Imagine that - I picked up the fall issue of Woodturning Design at B&N and when I went to look through it this evening what happened to be the first article - "Hand Turned Aluminum Pen". It's a four page spread and the final result is a cigar pen. Haven't read it yet, but it looks informative with lots of pictures - thought I would pass it along.

Wes

Bruce Page
09-14-2004, 10:45 PM
Scott, it should be doable with sharp turning tools. I would recommend good quality aluminum like 2024 or 6061 in either T4 or T6 condition. Anything softer than T4 might be subject to galling and loading up on the tool.
If you find that you need a lubricant, WD40 works great on aluminum.

Scott Coffelt
09-14-2004, 11:44 PM
I see that Hut actually sells aluminum pen blanks. i get me thinking. I have some alumiinum that I bought from a local metal supplier. Not sure the rating on it, but it is much better then anything I have seen at the borg.