PDA

View Full Version : Problem Solved

harry strasil
09-11-2009, 12:52 PM
I found a simple solution to a difficult problem of clamping a thin divider holder in a fairly deep drawer while the glue dries. I used my shop made radius marker made from an old bandsaw blade, as a push spring clamp.

David DeCristoforo
09-11-2009, 1:00 PM
What you have "discovered" is a variation on a well known "device" called a "go stick" or "go bar". Typically, it's a thin piece of wood slightly longer than the I.D., that is "sprung" in a manner similar to your steel band. I have used these to do things like clamp down a patch (or an inlay) in the middle of a wide panel (i.e. a table top) with the panel laying flat on the bench and the "go sticks" sprung between the panel and the ceiling. There are many applications, the most common of which is clamping inside an enclosed box like your drawer where there is really no other good way to apply clamping pressure.

harry strasil
09-11-2009, 1:03 PM
As usual, I am a day late and a dollar short, again. Thanks for informing me what I discovered tho.

In the blacksmith shop I often used a piece of pipe with a cap on it and a stiff spring inserted inside and a rod cut to length inserted in the pipe with the spring to compress something to hold it while I tacked it in place.

David DeCristoforo
09-11-2009, 1:08 PM
Harry, if you are only one day late and one dollar short, you are doing just fine, my friend!