PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the advice Here r the decisions

Ron Taylor
03-24-2003, 3:41 PM
Let me say a big THANKS for all the advice on my quest for the perfect shop, at least perfect within what I can afford. This journey started exactly two years ago next month when I dug the first shovel of dirt. It is nearing completion.

What I started with:
20 year old Craftsman radial arm saw
50 year old Craftsman 6" jointer
15 year old Delta 14" bandsaw
15 year old Campbell Hausfeld 20g air compressor
15 year old Craftsman drill press
15 year old Porter Cable 3/4 h. router
various sanders, drills, hand tools, etc.
1 Yamaha 1100cc motorcycle

The building:

24' X 46' concrete slab, stick built 2X4 construction, clear span 2X4 "W" style trusses, 9' ceiling, 26g multi-rib steel roof. The building is free standing about 50 feet from the house in my back yard. The entire 1100 SqFt floor space is clear except for a 7'X8' corner bath with toilet, shower, and sink, and a 10'X10' corner "shack" for amateur radio related hobbies.

Wired for 100a, 220v, cable TV, phone, computer network.

The building is complete now except for shop layout, benchs, tool placement, etc. I did it all without one cent for labor. My sons helped with the slab and the steel roof. Otherwise, it was a one-man construction crew.

Along the way, I picked up a few things:

Dewalt 12" Compound Miter Saw
Porter Cable framing nailer
Porter Cable finish nailer
Craftsman brad nailer
Porter Cable plate jointer

As I've stated in several of my requests for advice, "..when the motorcycle sells, I'll buy some toys". The bike sold last week, so now my finger is on the "Order" button.

Here are the Decisions:

Delta 22-580 13" planer
Dewalt Midi lathe
Grizzly 1023Z Cabinet saw
Dewalt DW625 plunge router
WoodRat joinery system

Lots of benches, tables, and fixtures to build, but that is the fun stuff. I'll post some pics as soon as I think the place is presentable.

Oh, BTW... Two major features that I've decided to postpone until I am further down the learning curve, dust collection, and sharpening. I want to do them right the first time. I'll get by with Scary Sharp, a high quality respirator (already purchased), and shop vac.

Thanks again for all of the expert advice along the way. Now the REAL woodworking questions will begin.

Von Bickley
03-24-2003, 3:46 PM
Ron,

Congratulations on the new shop. Waiting to see pictures now.

Ted Shrader
03-24-2003, 5:13 PM
Ron -

I'll be right over. ;)

Sounds great! Of the items on the list, I would go for the cabinet saw first the the planer. Then do some research right away on DC. I would move that up my priority list - but that's me. The new planer will generate some prodigious amounts of sawdust.

Have fun,
Ted

Ron Taylor
03-24-2003, 5:31 PM
Thats the beauty of it Ted. Everything on the list is now ON THE WAY!!!!. Ordered!!! Paid for!!! UPS tracking numbers memorized due to checking the web site every five minutes.

I'm already working on the DC. Have a nephew in the metal duct business and he's coming to visit in a couple of weeks to get the dimensions for all the ducts. He can also possibly build the cyclone. A buddy in the used equipment business has some leads on blowers and motors.

Looking at a previous thread, hopefully I'll be able to steal some of the specs from other braver and more knowledgable pioneers in home brew DC systems. I love DIY...

I have a good strong shop vac that'll grab much of the chips and a good broad shovel and broom for the rest. Brand new respirator will protect the innards 'til I can get the DC in.