PDA

View Full Version : Is this tree worth sawing up

Robert Reece
09-11-2009, 10:39 AM
It's an oak (red I believe), dead from digging a sewer line by it a while back. It is 7.5' circumference at chest height. The trunk is clear for around 30' and is probably 5-6' circumference where it divides into three big branches. It's in my front yard so may have metal in it, who knows. Just have to take a chance there.
Anybody know how to determine what board feet yield I get from this log.
I'm not a big fan of red oak, so I'm thinking about just using it for firewood.

Rob Russell
09-11-2009, 10:54 AM
That's a good sized tree. 7.5' = 90" circumference =~ 28" diameter. That's some wide boards. You could quarter saw that and have some 12" wide, quartersawn oak. That's wide.

Metal in the tree is likely. When it's down, look for blue stain at the base - that's from metal rusting as the sap goes past it.

Frank Drew
09-11-2009, 11:06 AM
Robert,

I'm not a big fan of red oak, either, but lots of folks are (at least judging by the number of red oak kitchen cabinets made every year.) Rob is right that you might have some nice wide boards in that tree -- although quartered red oak isn't as interesting as quartered white oak -- but against that you have to consider the effort you'll have to put in to have the tree converted to lumber, and the not-inconsiderable requirements for careful drying.

Rob Russell
09-11-2009, 12:11 PM
... although quartered red oak isn't as interesting as quartered white oak ...

Quartered red oak has the same ray fleck that white oak does. I sawed a whole bunch of it with a sawyer - nice stuff.

Alex Leslie
09-11-2009, 12:19 PM
I'd buck it into 8'-10' saw logs and try to get someone with a portable mill to come cut it for you. I have done this with a guy and given him a share of the wood for pay. Just be sure it is stacked level with "stickers" to allow air circulation and paint the ends with any old oil-based paint to minimize checking. If you really don't like red oak, you can then sell or trade it for the wood you want.

harry strasil
09-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Hmmm, me thinks a nice Work Bench is HIDING, in that tree! From one who made his from a Pin Oak salvaged log.

Cody Colston
09-11-2009, 3:13 PM
I'd say that tree is definitely worth having it sawn into lumber. Do like Alex said and buck it into 8' lengths, then saw up the limbs for firewood. With a tree that big, you should get enough firewood to last a NC winter just from the limbs alone.

I would also consider having it quartersawn. It will cost a bit more but the wood will be more attractive and much more stable.

harry strasil
09-11-2009, 3:31 PM
. Do like Alex said and buck it into 8' lengths, then saw up the limbs for firewood. With a tree that big, you should get enough firewood to last a NC winter just from the limbs alone.

Just save some of the larger crotches, when you saw the centers out after drying, the grain of the crotches make excellent handles for planes, etc.You can tell easily by looking at the crotches which to save by their configuration.

Lots of old user made planes from times past used one whole side of a limb as a handle with the other side sawn off for a flat mounting place.

Something a 100 yrs old or more is considered an Antique, but craftsman made tools and furniture are called primitives no matter the age for some reason.

Walt Caza
09-11-2009, 4:04 PM
Quartered red oak has the same ray fleck that white oak does. I sawed a whole bunch of it with a sawyer - nice stuff.

Hi Rob,
Careful now...
yes QS red will show some ray fleck, but let's not do anyone a disservice
and try to call the 'same'.
Red oak tends to show less medullary rays, and the rays themself tend
to be much skinnier than white oak.
Yes, still very handsome, and the best way to play with red oak...
but not really accurate to claim they are the same.
that's my 2 cents,
see you in the sawdust,
Walt

ps I like QS red oak quite a bit, it seems better without all those
wild and distracting cathedrals in the grain!

David DeCristoforo
09-11-2009, 4:24 PM
"...QS red oak...seems better without all those wild and distracting cathedrals in the grain..."

Ditto that! FWIW, I have seen some pretty good figure in QS red oak. But the flake is typically much more intense in white oak. Just make sure you don't have a "black" oak there. Probably not too much chance as it is not too common in NC but here of the central valley of Ca it's like a weed and can yield some butt ugly wood...

Rob Russell
09-11-2009, 6:08 PM
Here's a pic of some red oak with the ray fleck ...

Mike Cruz
09-11-2009, 8:49 PM
Contact you local mill. They may be interested in buying from you. If so, they can tell you the lengths they want them cut. You may have to cut it and take it to them, or they might come to you and do it. They may even mill it on your property. I have sold a few red oaks to a local mill. The guy needed specific lengths, so there were some 8 foot legnths, 10 foot lengths, and 12 foot lengths.

That tree sounds too good for firewood (I burn 4 cords, give or take depending on the winter), so I know firewood. Yes it'll split nice, and burn nice, but it has grown many wonderful years and deserves to "live on" past its living years...not become ashes...that's what locust is for! :D