PDA

View Full Version : Help! Need some ideas!

Bruce Page
09-14-2004, 3:02 PM
Hello all,
I am drawing a complete blank on this so I’m looking for some ideas. I have been asked to make a hat rack that will hold 4 western style cowboy hats. I’d like to make something out of some Brazilian cherry that I have and maybe incorporate a mirror into it.

Any ideas, pic’s?
Thanks

Keith Christopher
09-14-2004, 3:32 PM
Bruce,

I made on a while back that was 3 sided I'll see if I can find an old BMP. It's not overly fance but I was sitting drawing and my lines looked like a hatrack so I went with it. :)

David Wilson
09-14-2004, 3:57 PM
Bruce
Don't have a pic but a friend of mine makes hat racks with an unusual touch. he glues empty shotgun shells on appropriate sized dowls and glues the dowls into holes drilled at a slight upward angle into the back board.

Chris Padilla
09-14-2004, 4:43 PM
Bruce,

You into steambending wood?? :)

Bruce Page
09-14-2004, 8:27 PM
Keith, I would sure like to see that old BMP, Thanks!

David, that's an interesting idea, I might play with that one!

Chris, I bent the stylus on my Palm Pilot today, does that count? :(

Greg Heppeard
09-14-2004, 9:40 PM
This is a funny thread...I was thinking about making myself a hat rack just this last weekend. I plan on making a large divided light cabinet door and putting in mirrors then hanging it flat on the wall.. The mullions will be about an 1 1/2 inches in width and the frame 2 1/2 to 3 inches, depending on the look I want to end up with. I will install mirrors instead of clear glass and put a small Shaker style peg in the intersection of each mullion. Of course all of this will have to wait a few weeks because next weekend is T's BBQ and I still have a cabinet job to finish first.

Gary Sutherland
09-15-2004, 6:01 AM
Just for fun I did a google search for 'Western Hat Racks'. Wow! Who'd a thunk it but there's a ton of em out there. Metal, wood, special hooks you can buy, etc.

Give em a look and you'll probably get a sense of what 'look' you prefer and maybe you can mix a few ideas together to come up with a design.

Sounds like fun!

Gary

Dennis Peacock
09-15-2004, 11:05 AM
Of course all of this will have to wait a few weeks because next weekend is T's BBQ and I still have a cabinet job to finish first.

Uh Greg.......!!!!! It's THIS WEEKEND!!!! :eek: :D :p Shin-Dig starts Day after Tomorrow....

Dennis Peacock
09-15-2004, 11:14 AM
Hey Bruce,

Why not make the perimeter of the "hat rack"...."look" like the brim of a hat? Just use a 3/8" or 1/2" corebox bit in the router and leave about 1/4" of wood to be the brim and round slightly with sandpaper. Then route about 3" out of the perimeter and leave no lines straight...leave some of the machining to give texture around the perimeter.

To unmuddy the water a little.....it would be (from outside edge to inside)
brim
cove
actual hat rack
mirror over the top of the rack.

Just an idea.

Bruce Page
09-15-2004, 10:54 PM
Thanks guys, I have a couple of ideas that are starting to percolate into the grey matter. I'll keep you posted.