PDA

View Full Version : Belt slipping

Chris Daigh
09-11-2009, 9:55 AM
I have an older General and the twist belt started slipping. I am looking to replace it somehow. I have no idea where to start. If I can use just a normal belt, what do I have to do or take out to put a new one on. Thanks.

David Christopher
09-11-2009, 10:03 AM
Chris, if the belt is not worn, try cleaning it and the pulleys with lacquer thinner, if it is worn to bad, you can get one from any auto parts store

Steve Schlumpf
09-11-2009, 10:09 AM
I agree with David - try cleaning the pulleys and the belt. These belts tend to glaze over with time.

Chris Daigh
09-11-2009, 10:15 AM
Ok I will try that. But in the future how would I replace a belt. Does anything have to be removed from the headstock or around the motor.

Steve Schlumpf
09-11-2009, 10:20 AM
Chris - which model lathe do you have? Maybe we can find some info for you.

Chris Daigh
09-11-2009, 10:23 AM
I have a General 260 with the riser block. Of course I can't find my manual right now.

Dennis Ford
09-11-2009, 12:32 PM
A couple of friends have older General lathes, the spindle has to be removed to replace the belt (unless you install a link belt). You mentioned "twist belt", the belt should not be twisted. If it is actually twisted, it needs to be replaced. I would seriously consider a link belt (much easier to install).

David Christopher
09-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Dennis, a " V belt, automotive type belt is also refered to as a twist belt

Chris Daigh
09-11-2009, 2:12 PM
Thanks for the help, will try to clean it tonight.

robert hainstock
09-11-2009, 4:34 PM
Is the varible speed potion a reeves drive,(adjustable pulley)?
Bob

curtis rosche
09-11-2009, 4:37 PM
i have an old v-belt on mine. it was lookin a little rough. i put some (little bit) of oil on it and then let it run to wrok it in. just enough oilmade the belt actually become sticky instead of glazed over or slippery

Denis Puland
09-13-2009, 5:52 AM
I have an older General and the twist belt started slipping. I am looking to replace it somehow. I have no idea where to start. If I can use just a normal belt, what do I have to do or take out to put a new one on. Thanks.

I have a newer type General lathe and when the original belt streched I replaced the belt with a link belt, works great and is easy to install and to shorten if and when it stretches.

Denis

Chris Daigh
09-14-2009, 5:36 PM
After looking more at the link belt, it is hard as a rock and not very flexible. Is this normal or I just need to buy a new one.

Denis Puland
09-14-2009, 7:59 PM
After looking more at the link belt, it is hard as a rock and not very flexible. Is this normal or I just need to buy a new one.

If it is literally hard as real rock then it is not normal.
But it is quite hard and I also doubted it's ability to have the friction needed to drive and not slip, but no problems after a couple of years of use.

Denis