PDA

View Full Version : Jet 10" TS Arbor lock problem

Charlie Gummer
09-11-2009, 8:18 AM
Hello all,

I've had a Jet 10" TS (Edit: Model JPS10) for several months. For the most part this machine is everything that I'd hoped for in a saw; decent power, the proshop fence is a huge improvement for me and the available work surface is also very nice.

Recently I have noticed that the arbor lock (with the blade fully raised) no longer serves to lock the arbor. If I depress the arbor lock (with the blade somewhat lower then full height) and raise the blade, I can feel something pushing the arbor lock.

Is this by chance a common issue? Am I doing something wrong? Any advice is much appreciated.

This forum is fantastic; I'm very impressed with the community.

Thanks!
Charlie

Prashun Patel
09-11-2009, 8:51 AM
You didn't mention yr model number. Is it the JPS10? I have that saw, the Proshop. I noticed the same thing you are noticing. It happened after about 3 months with my saw. I concluded it was dust getting in between the arbor and the locking mechanism. I never cleaned it out, though.

The blade needs to be completely raised for the lock to engage, and it takes me up to a full revolution of the blade to get it to engage. But it does engage and it does its job.

Bas Pluim
09-11-2009, 10:54 AM
I have the same saw, and the same problem. The button you press has a small pin on the underside that fits into a recess to lock the blade. The problem is that the recess "drifts". I was able to use a paperclip to center the recess in the doohickey again, so that when the blade is fully raised the pin make contact again. I have do this every 6 months or so.

The "horseshoe" that holds the blade travels in an arc, so it's a bit tricky for everything to line up for the blade lock. The doohickey that has the recess for the pin (let me know if I'm getting too technical :)) travels along this arc as well. Sometimes when the lock doesn't engage I can lower/ raise the blade a bit to "wiggle" the lock to engage. I don't think it's dust that's the problem. Most likely, the vibration of the saw (which is minimal) causes the recess to drift. Perhaps a drop of LocTite would do the trick.

It's a bit annoying, but worse case, you can simply use a second wrench to loosen the arbor nut. That's how most saws operate. There may be a simple fix for this, but I haven't found it yet.

Prashun Patel
09-11-2009, 10:57 AM
"doohickey". I'm dyin! :D

Matthew Hills
09-11-2009, 11:06 AM
My JPS-10 too. I haven't bothered fiddling with the thing-a-ma-jig to try and get it working again. Faster to just grab a chunk of scrap wood to hold the blade still when I undo the arbor nut.

Matt

Charlie Gummer
09-11-2009, 2:43 PM
My JPS-10 too. I haven't bothered fiddling with the thing-a-ma-jig to try and get it working again. Faster to just grab a chunk of scrap wood to hold the blade still when I undo the arbor nut.

Matt

Ha! Exactly what I've been doing...