PDA

View Full Version : Question for Nova DVR owners

Terry Achey
09-11-2009, 12:36 AM
I've had my Nova DVR since July and really like it. Unfortunately, I haven't had much time with it the last several weeks. But, recently I noticed that while turning at 250 rpm the drive speed kind of stutters when a load is applied. For example, at 250 rpm or slower you can grab the handwheel and apply pressure which will cause a stutter like action in the drive. The drive maintains the rpm, but with a chatter-like action. It will happen ever so slightly at 500 rpm and not at all at faster speeds.

Has anyone else experienced this? I really couldn't gain any insight with the owners manual.

Thanks,
Terry

Ron McKinley
09-11-2009, 2:45 AM
I've never had that happen but then I haven't grabbed the wheel to try and induce it........Ron

Mike Lipke
09-11-2009, 8:19 AM
The VFR is applying voltage in pulses to attempt to keep the rpm at whatever setting you have selected.
I don't have a DVR, but my lathe uses the same technology and does the same thing, though I can't sense it at 250rpm, more in the range of less than 100rpm.

Alan Trout
09-11-2009, 9:42 AM
I have never had that happen except I had a very large piece between center's that did that. I finally figured out it sensed it like was a catch because it was not a positive drive. Used a better drive center and worked great.

The next question are you getting any error messaged. If not I would give Tim Geist a call at 304-296-8166 at the US service center. Between 6AM and 2PM Easter standard time. He is a nice guy and has always been willing to answer any questions that I have had.

Good Luck

Alan

Terry Achey
09-11-2009, 8:16 PM
Guys, thanks much for the responses.

Alan,

Actually, I was using a large piece between centers when I first noticed it. No error messages. I'll give Tim a call, too.

Thanks,
Terry

Bernie Weishapl
09-11-2009, 8:58 PM
I have had that happen on mine at around 150 to 200 rpm. I think it is just trying to sense what it needs to do to keep the speed up. This was a big out of round piece. Otherwise have not had a problem with smaller stuff. Never tried to grab the hand wheel. If you are unsure give time a call he is a great guy to deal with.