PDA

View Full Version : Supernova2 chuck problems

Jason Clark2
09-10-2009, 11:08 PM
I tried to swap a pinion between a pair of Supernova2 chucks this evening as one of the chucks had both pinions stripped (my fault, excessive force). I hoped to swap one pinion on each chuck so each chuck had one good pinion and one bad pinion but I found the internal parts incompatible between the 2 chucks.

One of the chucks had a scroll ring with 45 teeth and pinions with 10 teeth while the other has a scroll ring with 39 teeth and pinions wih 9 teeth.
I opened a 3rd chuck and also found a scroll ring with 39 teeth and pinions with 9 teeth. The 2 incompatible chucks were purchased from my local Woodcraft store about 2 1/2 years ago about a week apart, the 3rd chuck was purchased from the same store a couple months ago.

Anyone know of any reason for the change or if Teknatool would still have pinions to fit the 45 tooth scroll ring?

Thanks
Jason
39 tooth ring and 9 tooth pinion on the left, 45 tooth ring and 10 tooth pinion on the right.

neil mackay
09-11-2009, 6:44 AM
Hi Jason,
I have 5 Super Nova 2 chucks, three older ones of the larger diameter type and the rest 4" diameter type. To date I have not had any similar problems.
They were all made in NZ and I have heard of all several tales of woe for the owners of the new Chinese made variety.
Interesting I will be checking my SN2 chucks out in the shop over the weekend in the light of your problem

David Walser
09-11-2009, 6:49 AM
...The 2 incompatible chucks were purchased from my local Woodcraft store about 2 1/2 years ago about a week apart....

Anyone know of any reason for the change ...?

Jason,

IIRC, Teknatool started making its chucks in China about the time you bought your chucks. Perhaps one chuck was made in New Zealand and the other was made in China? That's just a guess.

I've no idea whether Teknatool still stocks parts for you chuck. I'd give their US service center a call.

Good luck.