PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys use as a customer database?

Garrett Nors
09-10-2009, 9:53 PM
We're still in the 19th century, using only a paper trail to keep track of our customers. This is difficult because as we grow larger our stack of customers keeps growing.

What do you guys use to keep track of your customers? I need something that would be able to keep a job record, corel file names, etc.

I have Access 2007 and was thinking of using this, but there's not any type of way to keep track of previous jobs.

A calendar would also be very nifty to have...say a customer has an event each year, I could set up notifications maybe a month in advance to call said customer so that we could grab return business.

Any ideas? Thanks :)

Joe Pelonio
09-10-2009, 10:43 PM
I have every invoice back to 2003, using an program that does invoices and statement. I don't know if it's still available, most people use quickbooks now but this one "My Advanced invoices" was pretty good for the time and I saw no reason to change. The only real problem is when tax goes up I can set it to default for all new customers but for old ones have to change it the first time after the increase.

Someone else will know for sure, but I think quickbooks allows you to spin off a mailing label file for special offers and newsletters.

Steve Clardy
09-10-2009, 11:05 PM
Quickbooks Pro. Version 2005

Its has more options than I use.

Invoices. Customer database, etc.

Dave Wagner
09-11-2009, 7:12 AM
Quickbooks is really good. They also have online versions you can use and just pay a monthly fee and cancel anytime.

http://oe.quickbooks.com/finance-accounting-solutions/

Mike Null
09-11-2009, 7:19 AM
Quickbooks is a good program that will keep as much or as little info as you want. It is inexpensive (2009 QB Pro can be bought for $69.00). There is a new issue every year for those who use it to do their taxes but I just stick with one version until I feel it's time to change.

I have all my invoices for 11 years.

Scott Shepherd
09-11-2009, 9:54 AM
ACT by Sage is an excellent customer management tool. Plus it's got some stuff included in the new version that you normally pay for. I think it included Swiftpage with is an email marketing system you normally have to pay monthly fees for.

It will remind you of any special events in the future as well as schedule your day and show you the status of your business.

It's a very nice package from what I have seen. I don't own or use it, but know a guy that sells it and I've seen numerous demos or it and it's very impressive and on my "to do" list myself.

Randy Digby
09-11-2009, 9:57 AM
QuickBooks Pro 2007 used with Quickbooks online backup service (and backups of all engraving setups on a pair of removable hard drives that rotate weekly in the bank safe deposit box).

Garrett Nors
09-11-2009, 5:06 PM
So with quickbooks are you able to keep track of corel files and whatnot? I'm also wanting to keep track of scanned documents.....I hope this isn't too much for one program to handle..

Randy Digby
09-11-2009, 7:39 PM
For scanned documents, I use PaperPort by Nuance along with a Xerox DocuMate 515 document scanner. When an order is complete, we scan all the paperwork associated with the order (invoice, faxes, email copies, etc.) along with a scanned image of their product. We have a lot of recurring customers and we will bring up their PaperPort file as soon as we start a telephone conversation with them. This allows us to see exactly what product they are buying from us and how we engraved it for previous orders. The scanner cost me $500.00 a year and a half ago when I started this. I saw the same scanner in Best Buy last week for $250.00.

I know, we have duplicate copies of the invoice, with one already in QuickBooks, but it is worth the trouble to have all of the data and notes associated with the order in one file we can display while on the phone with a customer.

As far as I know, QuickBooks does not have this capibility.

I also map all of the folders with data files for the laser, rotary engravers, vinyl cutter and Id card printer to one PC that has a removable hard drive (HP Media Drive). I backup all PaperPort, QuickBook and data files nightly on this drive which stays in a 2 hour fire safe. Weekly, this drive is swapped out with it's twin which stays in the bank safe deposit box.

A little trouble, but I sleep good at night.

Mike Null
09-12-2009, 7:06 AM
Garrett

For your Corel files you can use the Corel "save as" feature. You can include scans there as well (along with other files by customer) or include them in a Windows Explorer folder.

Jim Coffee
09-12-2009, 10:21 AM
We use QuickBooks Pro for billing and customer info. Excel for scheduling and forecasting workload. Constant Contact for mailing list.

Phil Garcia
09-13-2009, 5:31 PM
We use Quickbooks also and all scan images, customer custom files, etc... are as mention above using Corel, and all of this is kept in regular customer folders with all their data. Backups are done weekly and kept off site.

Rick Irwin
09-13-2009, 9:22 PM
Filemaker is the best solution. Works on Mac or PC. I have used it for twenty years now.
It has basic templates included to get you started, tweak them as needed or write your own as required. (not that difficult in filemaker)
Use for customer contact via mail or automated email. Calendar and dates intergraded.
The best part is the graphic container fields. Copies of artwork or pictures of products can be attached to the files or invoice copies. Create catalogs or web pages directly out of your database.
No need for multiple programs like quickbooks and access.
Also imports and exports to excel if needed.

www.filemaker.com

Free trial offer:
www.filemakertrial.com/bpk/?homepage=bpk_home_feature&try=bpk_home_feature

Garrett Nors
09-13-2009, 10:51 PM
Filemaker is the best solution. Works on Mac or PC. I have used it for twenty years now.
It has basic templates included to get you started, tweak them as needed or write your own as required. (not that difficult in filemaker)
Use for customer contact via mail or automated email. Calendar and dates intergraded.
The best part is the graphic container fields. Copies of artwork or pictures of products can be attached to the files or invoice copies. Create catalogs or web pages directly out of your database.
No need for multiple programs like quickbooks and access.
Also imports and exports to excel if needed.

www.filemaker.com (http://www.filemaker.com)

Free trial offer:
www.filemakertrial.com/bpk/?homepage=bpk_home_feature&try=bpk_home_feature (http://www.filemakertrial.com/bpk/?homepage=bpk_home_feature&try=bpk_home_feature)

This looks really good...hmm.......