PDA

View Full Version : James Krenov

Mike Wilkins
09-10-2009, 4:31 PM
Just found out James Krenov passed on to that great woodshop in the sky. If you never read any of his books, you are missing a treat. He first introduced me to the concept of finding a special purpose in each piece of wood, just like Nakashima.

John Harden
09-10-2009, 5:45 PM
Very sorry to hear it. He was an inspiration and teacher to a great many people and will be sorely missed. :(

Regards,

John

Mike Henderson
09-10-2009, 6:18 PM
He will be missed. He was an inspirational woodworker.

Mike

Greg Hines, MD
09-10-2009, 6:48 PM
R.I.P.

This probably needs to be a sticky, with Sam Maloof.

Doc

Russ Massery
09-10-2009, 7:49 PM
Ditto on Greg's reply

Dan Forman
09-10-2009, 8:00 PM
"The Fine Art of Cabinet Making" is one of my favorite books on woodworking. He had a way with the written word, to look inside the heart and soul of the craft, as well as the mechanics. I bet it was great to take classes from him.

Dan

Chris Ricker
09-10-2009, 8:03 PM
Wow, two of the best gone for ever. Maloof and Krenov.
Jim will live on in his work and inspiration, his name will be synonymous with fine craftsmanship forever.

Keith Christopher
09-10-2009, 8:04 PM
I have not only agreed with this ideals with woodworking but I strive to one day develop them to his standards. It is a great loss to the woodworking community. While I never got a chance to meet him in person, I wish i had. This is truly sad news.

*tips his glass* You will be missed but your legacy will live on forever James.

Andrew Joiner
09-10-2009, 9:15 PM
Krenov was an interesting guy. I love his work.

He seems like quite an eccentric. He's very candid in this interview. He says many surprising things like "I’ve never made furniture professionally".

http://www.aaa.si.edu/collections/oralhistories/transcripts/krenov04.htm

The interview is fascinating. I expected him to be a sweet old guy. I was surprised . He seems a bit cynical.

Joe Zerafa
09-10-2009, 10:07 PM
I am speechless, RIP James Krenov :(

Ben Franz
09-10-2009, 10:14 PM
I have all his books and they're due for a reread. His work and attitude were an inspiration to many over the years. I'll probably never make anything as elegant as his work but I can still dream. Thanks Mr. Krenov!

David DeCristoforo
09-10-2009, 10:17 PM
It's always sad to loose one of "the great ones". JK was not my "favorite" woodworker but I always admired his commitment to his ideals and his refusal to "cut corners" or to "sell out". In this he was a lot like Sam. He certainly was an inspiration to many aspiring craftsmen.

Bill ThompsonNM
09-10-2009, 11:46 PM
I'm probably never going to build a "Krenov cabinet", but his work and books really have inspired me to work with wood. His belief that we should all aspire to have less furniture but to have truly inspiring exciting furniture can only benefit woodworkers and their patrons everywhere.

His books have made me think about my environment and make me want to surround myself with work by others and myself that provides sustenance in it's very presence every day.

Scott Zarecor
09-11-2009, 12:55 AM
Not surprised by the news, but still saddened.

Frank Drew
09-11-2009, 11:33 AM
His work was entirely legitimate but wasn't exactly my style, nor have I ever been moved to make a Krenov-style plane; I certainly acknowledge his dedication, though, and greatly admire his respect and thoughtfulness for the material, which Mike notes in his original post.

Cody Colston
09-11-2009, 3:21 PM
I read "Notebook" and came away impressed with his skill, dedication and reverence for the wood itself. He was an original in every sense of the word.

Reading that interview that Andrew linked to, Krenov was also just a bit crusty, at least in his later years. Right or wrong, I respect someone who speaks his thoughts and opinions without regard to being PC or offending someone. ("Artsy" Carpenter, LOL).

I DO plan on building a Krenov influenced cabinet-on-stand someday and you can bet I'll take a moment to thank him for the inspiration.

doug faist
09-11-2009, 3:23 PM
I regret that I never had the chance to meet Krenov is person. Most of my other favorites, I have. They turn out to be just regular people; I would assume from the interviews I've read that he was too.

Looking at his cabinets and reading his books, I am continually amazed at how he could make wood "talk." His cabinet doors are very quite, but his drawers whisper when they're opened and closed.

Like Sam, he will be missed.

Doug

John Stevens
09-12-2009, 1:05 AM
My condolences go to his loved ones and friends, who seem to be many. But as for his legacy, his portfolio was as limited as it was beautiful, his books (I own them all) taught very little practical, concrete info about design or construction, and they were tainted by intermittent strains of 1970's-style psycho-babble. I hope he was able to impart some concrete design info to his students at the College of the Redwoods, but every time I see photos of their works, they look like just so many clones from the teacher's limited repertoire. Mr. Krenov's popularity seemed to depend on a "cult of personality," and I think his true legacy won't become clear until that fades away.

Regards,

John

Stephen Edwards
11-19-2009, 12:33 PM
Krenov was an interesting guy. I love his work.

He seems like quite an eccentric. He's very candid in this interview. He says many surprising things like "I’ve never made furniture professionally".

http://www.aaa.si.edu/collections/oralhistories/transcripts/krenov04.htm

The interview is fascinating. I expected him to be a sweet old guy. I was surprised . He seems a bit cynical.

Thanks very much for sharing this link. It's an excellent read! I found it to be very inspirational and motivating. I've already sent this to several friends, many who are not even woodworkers. What a great approach he had to his work. Thanks again for sharing. It made my day!