PDA

View Full Version : Tapering Sled

Darrin Davis
09-10-2009, 2:45 PM
A couple of years ago I posted a few pictures of my tapering sled that I created in my mind while laying in bed one night. Seems like Rockler is reading our posts here at Sawmill Creek! Just wish I had the mindset to manufacture and market my original design. Rockler's is probably better with more thought and time put into it though.

Brian Kerley
09-10-2009, 3:10 PM
A couple of years ago I posted a few pictures of my tapering sled that I created in my mind while laying in bed one night. Seems like Rockler is reading our posts here at Sawmill Creek! Just wish I had the mindset to manufacture and market my original design. Rockler's is probably better with more thought and time put into it though.

Not to rain on your parade, but it's not really a new idea. I've seen plenty of plans for tapering sleds, very similar to what rockler is now selling, for years. Heck, yours looks similar to theirs[the other ones I've seen]

Richard Jones
09-10-2009, 3:37 PM
I actually just finished mine up on Tuesday, design was out of Fine Woodworking. Only one clamping point, but it seems to work fine, and very repeatable.

Rich

Stephen Edwards
09-10-2009, 3:42 PM
Darrin,

I like yours better, even though I'm a Rockler customer. Anytime that we can shopbuild a jig, fixture or accessory that is useful to us in our shop, I prefer doing that rather than buying it.

I haven't seen one like yours, am saving it to file for future reference.

Adam Cavaliere
09-10-2009, 4:42 PM
Richard,

Is the design available on Fine Woodworking's site? If so, can you provide the link? I am a subscriber to the site and I am sure others on here are too - so we could definitely benefit from it.

Thanks!