PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite HF Vase

Richard Madison
09-10-2009, 1:55 PM
Decided to try a non-segmented one of these, just to see if I could. A nice chunk of Robert McGowan's mesquite. Thanks again Robert. About 5" x 7" with fairly uniform 3/16" wall thickness. Not totally satisfied with it, but maybe not too bad. C. & C. welcome. BTW the glare spots are ordinary 4ft. shop fluorescents.

Mike Svoma
09-10-2009, 1:57 PM
We need some pictures.........then we can comment. :)

Sorry Richard it didn't download right away. Very nice piece. I like the form and finish.

Mike

Steve Schlumpf
09-10-2009, 2:01 PM
Very nice Richard! Beautiful wood, rich color and the reflections are a testament to your gloss finish! Thanks for sharing!

alex carey
09-10-2009, 2:50 PM
looks like you still got it, great job.

Harvey Crouch
09-10-2009, 3:02 PM
Nice job Richard. Shows that segmented turners are not restricted to little pieces.

Robert McGowen
09-10-2009, 3:47 PM
I am sure that he refers to it as a segmented piece made with just one large segment...... :eek:

Very nice finish. Looks like you sprayed it with several coats of lacquer?

Bill Bolen
09-10-2009, 4:10 PM
Beautiful piece Robert. I love the deep rich color of the Mesquite too. Excellent finish as the shop lights will testify to...Bill..

charlie knighton
09-10-2009, 5:35 PM
very nice....

Richard Madison
09-10-2009, 5:46 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind replies.

Yeah, that's it, one sorta large segment. Will wait another day or two in this humidity (finally got some rain) and buff it out. Finish is a wipe on coat of lacquer sanding sealer, two coats of brushing lacquer, wet sand level w/ 320, and a couple spray coats. The brushing lacquer helps build the finish for less $$ than all spray, but then usually needs to be wet sanded level. A quart of brushing costs about the same as a 12 ounce spray, and seems to have a much higher solid content.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your comments.

George Morris
09-10-2009, 8:58 PM
Great form and finish!

Bernie Weishapl
09-10-2009, 9:33 PM
That is a beauty. Really nice form, great looking wood and finish.

Ken Glass
09-11-2009, 9:37 AM
Richard,
Very nice HF. Good form and that great finish really looks like glass. Did you do the wet sanding and finishing on the lathe?

Richard Madison
09-11-2009, 10:18 AM
Thanks again everyone. Appreciate it, especially comments on the form, which I tried hard to get somewhere near right. Should have rounded the very bottom edge with a slightly larger radius to give the piece just a little more "lift".

Ken, Brushing lacquer applied with lathe off and then slow roll it for about 10 minutes and still had some sags. Light wet sand with lathe turning and then "manually" level the bad spots with lathe off. Final spray coats with lathe running (50-75 rpm). Spray coats only on very bottom area, off lathe, on a little "lazy susan" platform which I spin by hand. Always tricky to get a "full wet coat" but with no runs or sags. Hope this is helpful. Am surely no expert on the subject.