PDA

View Full Version : "Post-Lateral" no. 6

Matt Radtke
09-10-2009, 12:03 PM
So I had a mishap refurbishing a no. 6 some time ago, and I'm not having luck finding replacement parts, so I thought I'd share the story, let you guys laugh at me, and the maybe help finding some parts :o ?

Got said no. 6 for a song because the lateral adjuster was /incredibly/ loose and the tote was broken. No worries, I partially bought it to practice restoring a plane.

Fast forward a couple weekends and she has a fresh coat of paint, a comfortable, if a bit clunky looking tote, and a more usable lateral adjuster (I tightening it up with a carefully placed brass washer. Worked pretty well and didn't interfere with bedding the iron.)

Putting it together, I managed to drop it upside down right on the lateral adjuster/tote. Broke the frog the lateral adjust attaches and buggered up the tote by the brass nut. The only good parts were A) My repair job on the tote was a touch tall and protected the brass nut perfectly and B) nothing else was damaged.

(Done laughing/wincing?)

So, anyone know where I can find a 2 3/8" type 11 (I think) frog? I've had little luck on ebay. . .

Jim Koepke
09-10-2009, 12:33 PM
Frogs come and go on eBay.
You could also try all the usual sources like BrassCityRecords, Bob Kaune or Patrick Leach.

The only other thing is to look for a junker #6 for parts. I have seen a few with welded bodies or broken bodies. Frogs from other sizes will fit.

Make sure you are thinking of the tight type. Type 11 is easy to find a proper frog, if it was a type 9 or earlier, there could be some problems.

jim

Matt Radtke
09-10-2009, 12:43 PM
Make sure you are thinking of the tight type. Type 11 is easy to find a proper frog, if it was a type 9 or earlier, there could be some problems.

Naw, it's type 10-13, I just can't recall with 100% certainty which one right this second.

-Matt

Jim Koepke
09-10-2009, 12:47 PM
Type 10 is the first with the adjustment screw for the frog. Any thing after type 10 is pretty much interchangeable.

jim