PDA

View Full Version : Choosing finishes for screws

Don Morris
09-10-2009, 11:08 AM
I've sort of been going along willy-nilly using McFeely's standard Black Oxide lube finish for almost all of my applications that don't call for something specific like outdoor exposure, brass or a matching color, or something for pressure treated pine. But recently I've had an occasion to re-think that. Should I be more selective about "Fastener finishes"? That would of course mean I might perhaps have to increase the size of my available stock considerably just to have a variety available, which up to now I've not wanted to do. I guess I'm asking: Is it worth being more selective? Do you guys and gals vary your finishes a lot?

Jim Becker
09-10-2009, 9:51 PM
I just picked the yellow zinc as my "standard screw" a few years ago and stuck with it. They look pleasant to me in wood/ply when used "naked" in utility projects and otherwise, are hopefully hidden anyway. The coating gives at least a little protection when I use them for some utility purpose where moisture may be a factor. I find it easier to just stick with one "color" but frankly, it really doesn't matter much which you pick. Personally, I'd avoid the black oxide, only because they would be too easy to mistake for drywall screws which I avoid very much for woodworking projects...not that the Robertson/Square drive wouldn't give them away. LOL

Brian Gumpper
09-11-2009, 10:11 AM
I'm with Jim on the yellow zinc. Figured the extra protection was worth the small premium and the yellow color can be convenient.

Jamie Buxton
09-11-2009, 10:43 AM
My standard structural wood screws are combi-headed tan deck screws called Deck-Mate. The combi head means you can drive them with a square drive or phillips. The tan color blends with wood better than black or yellow oxide. The coating is more weather-resistant than black or yellow oxide, if you do need to put it in wet locations. And they're available locally (Home Depot), which is much better than finding I'm out of a McFeely-sourced screw just one screw short of completing a project.