PDA

View Full Version : Next Tool for Shop

Nathan Wittman
09-10-2009, 10:20 AM
Need some help with allocating resources.

I am a novice / hobby woodworker. I mainly build furniture, end tables & book shelves so far. My main tools include:

Delta Contractors TS with 52" fence
Dewalt Router Combo 618PK
Dowelmax
Jig Saw
Dewalt ROS
Makita Skill Saw
12" Miter Saw
80 gal 220v shop mounted compressor with various air tools

So far just enough to make me dangerous. My shop is in a 3 car garage.

So, I am looking at the next tool to purchase to continue to expand my capabilities.

I have been thinking

Planer
Bandsaw
Jointer

then
upgrade table saw.

I have about $500-$1000 to allocate to one of the above.

What are your thoughts as to which tool would offer the most value in terms of use and expanded capabilities.

Thank you for your replies.

Prashun Patel
09-10-2009, 10:30 AM
I think your order is good.

For $1000, you should be able to get both a good lunchbox planer and a 14" bandsaw.

John Coloccia
09-10-2009, 10:32 AM
If I needed to, I could always get the mill to plane and joint my boards. I'd be lost without a bandsaw, however. I'd get the band saw next.

As far as I'm concerned, a jointer and planer go together. I rarely use one without the other. For what it's worth, I really like my 12" Jet combo.

Jerome Hanby
09-10-2009, 10:54 AM
I agree, that looks like a good order. I'd get my cash in a jar so it would be handy and start haunting Craig's List for all the areas you consider to be in driving distance. With some luck you could score all three of your upgrades for under $1000. Might even fall into one of those pseudo-mythical $300 Unisaws:D

Rick Moyer
09-10-2009, 10:54 AM
I think your order is good.

For $1000, you should be able to get both a good lunchbox planer and a 14" bandsaw.

If I needed to, I could always get the mill to plane and joint my boards. I'd be lost without a bandsaw, however. I'd get the band saw next.

As far as I'm concerned, a jointer and planer go together. I rarely use one without the other. For what it's worth, I really like my 12" Jet combo.

Both good points. I bought a used planer for $400, BS for $400, and my jointer was $600. I realize that's over your current budget. A planer CAN be used like a jointer, but you'll eventually want both or a combo machine.
If you think you will eventually get a jointer then I would agree with Shawn. Otherwise I might go with the BS.

Prashun Patel
09-10-2009, 10:59 AM
FWIW, I think HD is having a tool sale now, that'd get you the 6" jointer for about $225.

If yr going lunchbox on the planer, I'd go for the Dewalt 735. Lurk around the HD's; some have them on clearance at under $300!

For a bandsaw, cruise CList. That might even get you a 17 incher for a good price. If you decided like me that 14" is appropriate, then look seriously at the Grizzly G0555 and G0555x. They're both very good buys. I have the G0555.

I'm not saying this is the best array of tools for a pro; but for a hobbyist like you and me, they serve extremely well.

Prashun Patel
09-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Um, if you can get THIS deal, then I'd say jointer is your first next tool. TODAY.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=120005

Dave Mura
09-10-2009, 1:15 PM
Looks good to me!

Mike Cruz
09-10-2009, 1:31 PM
I wholeheartedly agree. With cash in hand, butt at computer, and some patience, you should be able to get a 15" planer ($500), a 6" jointer ($250), and a 14" bandsaw ($250). You may be able to get more (bigger, like 20" planer, 8" jointer, and 16" bandsaw) for the same $1000 if you are patient enough and really looking for the quality stuff at near giveaway prices. Just check out the gloats that Creekers post. You'll see what awesome deals are out there.

Brent Leonard
09-10-2009, 2:21 PM
I agree with those that have stated you can get all three tools for a grand or less.

If you are ONLY going to get one tool now, I would get the bandsaw. I use my bandsaw alot. It is a very useful tool. I rough cut my DT's with it, resaw and make all sorts of handy cuts with it that the table saw can't do and a handheld jig saw doesn't do as well.

The second tool I use (out of the three you mention) is the thickness planer. Very handy for solid wood drawers, cleaning up resawed pieces and of course taking the 1/32" off the thickness of a board that needs it on a project. I flatten boards with a planer sled and can use rough sawn lumber for my projects.

The jointer is the last one. A very valuable tool, but I find I use it less than alot of people do. I use it nearly exclusively for putting a starter, straight edge on rough sawn lumber. That is about it. I find that a good 60 tooth tablesaw blade cuts perfect edges for glue ups, so no need in my shop for the planer for that. I also use it for flattening the faces of boards less than 6" wide.

One thing for sure. There are several ways/tools to achieve the same thing. Everyone has THEIR way, and of course it's the best way. You use what you have, get good at that method and then continue to use it, regardless of the variety of tools you may have down the road.
my 2 cents

Chuck Isaacson
09-10-2009, 11:35 PM
THere are deals all over the place right now. New and used. Craigslist should be your best friend right now. I think for the long haul, the Dewalt 735 is the best bet. I have one and love it. The Ridgid jointer is nice too. My FIL has one. If you can find both used, or if you are lucky and find the planer on clearance like some have, you might still have enough to get a Grizzly G0555 bandsaw. Good luck and let us know what you do.

Chuck

Prashun Patel
09-11-2009, 8:31 AM
You really gotta spend some time driving to HD's this weekend. The DW735 is on clearance at some for $275. The Ridgid jointer is $301. And if you buy the 2, you'd get a $75-125 rebate at the register because of the tool sale they're running.