PDA

View Full Version : Double Cutting Board

Mark Portier
09-10-2009, 9:23 AM
Here is my latest cutting board. Not sure what all of the types of wood are though. I bought a Craft Pack from Woodcraft with various types of wood. This ones for my sister. She always says the boards are too pretty to cut on so I found this idea on line. Had some left-over so I made trivets also

John Thompson
09-10-2009, 9:57 AM
Very nice looking Mark... and I will have to confess I had to pull out the Webster's to find out what a trivet was. Country boy's don't get out much it appears. :) Yeah.. way to nice to cut on as your sister said. But paint on new trucks is way to nice and it was designed to be a truck so... ;)

Well done...

Maik Tobin
09-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Board looks great. One question regarding the trivets, though. How thick are the strips in the middle? Are they veneers? I ask because I would be concerned about trapping the wood in a mitered frame. When the strips expand won't they split the frame?

Mark Portier
09-10-2009, 10:40 AM
They are 3/8" thick. Never thought about the corners blowing out. Only time will tell

Philip Rodriquez
09-10-2009, 4:17 PM
Yes, the miters look like they will blow out. Additionally, what finish did you use? It looks like a film finish, which wouldn't be food safe.

Richard Chan
09-25-2009, 10:29 AM
Hi Mark

Those are nice looking boards, I have a question I would like to ask if you don't mind. The cutting board on the 1st picture, thats not a end grain board?? Would it get chop up faster than end grain??

Jeff Dege
09-25-2009, 11:14 AM
I was talking to a guy who was selling cutting boards at the State Fair who claimed that the primary advantage of end grain was how well it stood up to the chopping action of a butcher's cleaver, and that if you were just cutting, long grain worked better.

As for the first point, that end grain stands up to chopping better, that seems self-evident.

The second point, that there is less of a difference when cutting, seems plausible.

The third point, that long grain is actually better for cutting, I'm not sure I agree with.

The unstated point, though, is that endgrain is a lot more work, and plenty of people have decided that the gain, if any, isn't worth it.

Richard Chan
09-25-2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks Jeff, end grain is a LOT of work, I just finished my 1st cutting board and I made it into a end grain. WOW it it took a long time.

Richard Magbanua
09-25-2009, 11:58 AM
I've made cutting boards as gifts for two years now using face grain for the same reason. A lot of work for end grain for little gain. Besides, face grain has been so easy to repair and looks much better IMO. Just a minute with a sander or smoother/scraper, wipe on some mineral oil, and just like new!

Jeff Mohr
09-25-2009, 7:16 PM
Face grain is easier but you can do those cool designs with end grain.

Darrell Bottoms
09-25-2009, 11:17 PM
Mark,
I really like that. Is the one that slides out the actual "cutting board", and the other a cover, or is this actually two cutting board's in one?

Very nice looking at any rate:cool: