View Full Version : Workbenches

Chris Padilla
09-14-2004, 10:42 AM
Now I am finally seeing some space get defined in my shop. I've a semi-tight spot that I think will work nicely for a workbench. And by a workbench, I'm talking a traditional woodworker's bench like those made by Ulmia or Sjöberg or the one I think I'm going to get made by Veritas:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=31152&category=1,41637&ccurrency=2&SID

The price is right and the size is a tad tight, but I think it'll work with some slight wall massaging in my garage.

What do y'all have? I know I should probably make my own (and I have but not a traditional bench) but it is always a fine-line balance between building a shop for 2 years or getting the shop done ASAP to get the honey-do list done. :)

Dennis Peacock
09-14-2004, 10:53 AM
4 concrete blocks and two 2 by 12's held together with some construction adhesive!.... :p :D

Seriously....I don't have a bench. The only "bench" I have is some 2 by 6's that came in a bench kit from the borg several years ago that the LOML go me for my b-day. I really need a nice bench.....but I guess I'll have to build me one out of pine first to see if I like the arrangement and then spend some serious material dollars on a "real bench".

Keep me posted and post pics when you get that nice bench.

Scott Coffelt
09-14-2004, 10:53 AM
Why not custom build one to suit. You can buy the components. My current space does not allow for one, but my new shop will have one somewhere.

Chris Padilla
09-14-2004, 10:59 AM
I should mention that this bench will have access to only 2½ sides out of 4 since it will be (I think) placed more or less in a corner. The ½ comes from the short side near the left vise being several inches beyond the wall.

Scott, I'd love to build one but I just don't think I have the time and I can feel my wife's anxiety on getting the TV room finished even though she says she is fine.

Frank Pellow
09-14-2004, 11:04 AM
Right now, I have 5 workbenches.

Three of them I made myself and they are very sturdy and basic (e.g. no built in vices or bench stops). At least two of these will find a home in my new shop.

Two of them are smaller maple benches with built in vices and stops but I bought them a long long time ago and they are not nearly as good as the Veritas bench you have shown. One of them I will give away; the other will probably find a temporary home in my new shop.

I will probably eventually get a Veritas bench, but before doing so, I am going to use my shop for a while. I need to see how much use I get out of the Festool Multifunction table that I plan to purchase (and, maybe, an EZ smart table as well). Maybe that (those) plus the old maple bench mentioned above will do the job.

Tyler Howell
09-14-2004, 11:12 AM
Try this book CA Dude. :cool:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=42625&category=1,46096,46124&abspage=1&ccurrency=2&SID (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.asp?page=42625&category=1,46096,46124&abspage=1&ccurrency=2&SID)=

After the tool box the bench was supposed to be the right of passage for WWs. A good test for those new fancy machines. Also see my pix on the Phoenix work bench! Going to shoot for the real home made some day soon.;)

Scroll way down!!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=9049 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=9049)

Joe Mioux
09-14-2004, 11:16 AM
Hi Chris:

Here is what I am building. The work bench is SYP clear. The background shows cabinets made from birch plywood and hardboard top. The workbench will have one or two front vises and the cabinet is going to ket a Kreg clamp.

Joe

Dan Mages
09-14-2004, 11:18 AM
My workbench works just fine. Its a 30 inch flat panel door, door knob still attached, screwed to an old kitchen sink cabinet. It works just fine for my basic needs.

Dan

Chris Padilla
09-14-2004, 11:19 AM
Oh boy, Dan...we neeed PICS of that baby. I wanna see how you use the doorknob! :D

Donnie Raines
09-14-2004, 11:35 AM
Chris.....if you can spare 2 hours(tops) you can have a nice flat bench..the size that your space needs..for less then 100 bucks. Some 2X4"s and some mdf...a vise..and you are set.

but only if you have the time...and you like to save the green.... :cool:

Mark Mazzo
09-14-2004, 11:37 AM
Hi Chris,

The bench I made is based on the veritas plans. I posted about it here quite a while ago. Look here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=986) for the thread. I also posted a picture of it below. Let me know if you have any questions.

-- Mark

Chris Padilla
09-14-2004, 11:55 AM
Nice, Mark! Thanks for posting...it does provide some inspiration! :)

Mark Singer
09-14-2004, 12:06 PM
Chris the Veritas is a nice bench....it is designed for panel work as a traditional bench is designed for hand work on smaller parts. I have the Difenbach and it is big but I ehttp://www.workbenches.com/images/BenchColor/AmericanOpenDrawers.jpgnjoy using it.

Frank Pellow
09-14-2004, 12:12 PM
[QUOTE=Mark Singer] I have the Difenbach and it is big ... QUOTE]

WOW, I have never seen one of those. Just how big is it?

Frank Pellow
09-14-2004, 12:14 PM
When talking about the workbenches that I plan to have in my shop, I forgot one very important bench. I hope to make and install a child's bench (if possible, for this Christmas.)

Mark Singer
09-14-2004, 12:19 PM
Frank,

It is 90"....but they have many. I don't think I could have saved much money with the cost of the wood and the hardware. They have many different styles including the Frid German Style.Many different sizes. Here is the link:

http://www.workbenches.com/UltimateAmerican.htm

[QUOTE=Mark Singer] I have the Difenbach and it is big ... QUOTE]

WOW, I have never seen one of those. Just how big is it?

Ken Waag
09-14-2004, 12:24 PM
Hey Chris,

Yes, there is always that decision whether to build or to buy. Either one can have great quality. I guess the strengths are customizing in the former and speed (time) in the latter. I joke to my friends that I have spent 10X more time building my shop than building things in it, but the truth is I like it that way. The choices you've listed are all excellent. Costly, but that's always part of the decision. My concern, for what it's worth, in reading your post was "a semi-tight spot", "a tad tight", "slight wall massaging", access to 2 1/2 sides" and "in the corner".

I bring it up because I have an economical (read "cheap") bench that is along one wall between an adjacent perpendicular counter (over drawered cabinets) and my bandsaw. It is "a tad tight" which translates into some difficulty getting into the drawers, some restrictions at my band saw, and limited acces to the end vise. I find myself shoving it back and forth a bit. It will soon be moved and I'll be making a shorter, deeper bench for that spot. The lesson I learned is that a workbench is not the kind of thing that is well suited to cramped quarters. Better to have a small bench with lots of space around it than a large bench you have to squeeze around. Whenever I read or see pictures of shop layout, the bench is in open quarters with access from all sides. Granted that is in the ideal setting, but on the other hand just because something fits on the floor plan doesn't mean it's going to work in the practical sense.

Back to your situation, I'd just hate to see you have the same trouble with that beautiful Veritas bench that I had with my cheapy. It might be worth you're while to mock up something of the same size (plywood, cardboard, whatever) to see what it is really going to be like to work around. If it suits you great, if not, look at something smaller or......building your own. You probably know, but there are lots of parts available to make it pretty easy and even inexpensive. You can get nice maple tops, vices and even leg sets and customize for less then store bought. I plan to complete mine in a couple of days which, of course, means about a week, but hey that's not too bad. Good luck to you Chris either way and post some pix so we can see what you did!

Jerry Olexa
09-14-2004, 12:38 PM
There are 2 excellent books on Workbenches that I bought and used as a guide. FWW (Taunton) has "The Workbench Book" and another by Sam Allen. Both have good advice. I ended up w a Syborg (Sp?) top only(felt that was pretty challenging to build) and built my own (STURDY) undersides. Of course the top came w 2 wood vises, etc For me this worked, My main advice, get a good, solid , sturdy one that fits your needs. I also have 2 other real plain working workbenches.

Jamie Buxton
09-14-2004, 12:49 PM
Chris --

As I understand it, the argument for the "traditional cabinetmaker" bench is that it is especially suited for hand work, like hand-planing boards. Also, the design presumes that you can easily stand on three, if not four, of the sides. If you're not of the Neanderthal persuasion, and if you're going to have limited access to all sides of the bench, the argument for these expensive benches comes down to esthetics: they sure are pretty.

However, for lots less money you can buy or build a bench that will solidly support stuff while you work on it. The saved money can go into functionality -- like a tool you don't have, or higher-quality tool. Me, I like pretty, but in a workshop I put my money on functionality.

Jamie

Chris Padilla
09-14-2004, 1:03 PM
Lee Valley has been great answering some questions for me...they even sent over 5 additional pics....

Thanks for everyone's thoughts thus far. Jamie's and Ken's hit what I was wondering and that is limited access. I have what I thought might be a nice spot in my garage for a nice bench but I'm not so sure now.

It might work but only if I have the ability to slide it out if necessary or the space might be suited for a cheaper style of workbench. I'm starting to lean towards the latter. OR, Veritas basically sells all the parts for thier workbench so I could custom-size it for my spot. This would force me to mill up my own top...that sounds like fun! :)

Jon Olson
09-14-2004, 1:34 PM
Chris,

I went through the same thought process a few months ago. I wanted a really nice bench with all the dodads (tail vise, dog holes, etc.) but the need for making saw dust was far greater. I decided to make a nice/ sturdy/ but cheap bench for now, so I could work on the honey-do list and then really look at the other bench options later for when time/money allowes.
The base is from a New Yankee show, where Norm made mobile work tables and then I supplimented a solid core door for the tortion box top Norm used. I got a solid core door from my office building (extra). It is strong, level and moves around the garage great. Allows for the wheel to be pulled up for a sturdy plant on ground. $28 buck for 3/4" Popler ply, lots of screws and adhesive, free door.

Its one option that allowed me to get things done now and will be used to make the "perfect" bench later. (though, as things go, I may never get to the "perfect" bench ;)

I'm at work today can't post any pics of mine but here is norms version. (sorry pic patrol)
http://www.newyankee.com/getalbum3.cgi?001assemblytableandbackbench.jpg
Jon

Jon Olson
09-14-2004, 1:35 PM
Oh by the way, thanks for the extra pics of Veritas' table. Those will be filled for later use.

Jon

Chris Padilla
09-14-2004, 1:43 PM
Sent ya an email, Jon...you are too close for us to not meet. :)

nic obie
09-14-2004, 1:44 PM
Chris,

Grizzly sells laminated bench tops for less than I can buy the wood. They have all different sizes. This might work for your 'tight spot'. Then you can get or build a proper island bench. I think is very important that you can get to all 4 sides.

BTW, you can mount the top on a cheap HD kitchen cab for a instant bench with drawers and doors. I have a friend who used a bath lav. and it worked out fine.

Ken Waag
09-14-2004, 2:45 PM
Chris,

After I had posted some comments on your workbench decision, I saw that you were one of the many kind folks who had posted a welcome in response to my "intoduction" post. Thanks. Also I saw the thread and pix on your shop progress. You've been workin' hard! Keep the pictures coming.

A couple other thoughts on the bench:

Smaller doesn't mean it has to be lesser quality. You can make or possibly buy a bench equivalent to the Veritas in the perfect size for the space you have. Let me second the gentlman on the Grizzly tops. 1 3/4" thick hard maple. The smallest size (24" x 36") $80 w/ $10 shipping. Thereafter the larger sizes go up to $55 in shipping but are still the best value I've found. ( I've looked around quite a bit planning on my own new small bench). Best of all you save all the glue up and planing, so 90% of the work is done. Drill or mortise some dog holes, add you choice of vise(s), legs or cabinets as one person suggested, and I bet you're done inside of two days.

Maurice Ungaro
09-14-2004, 4:10 PM
Chris,
Here's the plan I used to make my bench: http://www.terraclavis.com/bws/beginners.htm (http://www.terraclavis.com/bws/beginners.htm)

Please do not be offended by the "beginner's" label - it actually is a really cool depiction of how to totally hand craft a carpenter's bench (sized to suit the user), and can be done totally with hand tools. I used it for my very first project. The only variation for mine was the use of round dog holes, as I use the Veritas brass dogs.

Of course, to save you the effort of paning the top flat (I really loved that part), you can purchase a pre-made top, but by all means, have some handwork in your bench.

Maurice

Ian MacDonald
09-14-2004, 4:11 PM
Hi Chris,

Here's another bench option if you're inclined to purchase a partial solution:
http://www.geocities.com/adjustabench/

Here's another link:
http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/ezine/archive/50/toolpreview.cfm

The latest issue of Popular Woodworking (Oct. 2004) has more photos showing the castor wheels installed.

When I manage to clear some space for a new bench this will probably be what I base mine on. I've already got a Record 53 and Veritas Tail Vise for it sitting in their boxes.

Cheers,

-- Ian

Mark Singer
09-14-2004, 4:42 PM
http://lookinside2-images.amazon.com/Qffs+v35leqT4zYAU6XQIsX5PkP4MU+y38BI5hZceyK1e1bPc3 8lXxPWtHlwYTSp (http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0806905352/ref=sib_dp_pt/104-6132981-5190325#reader-page)

This is worth reading!

Tyler Howell
09-14-2004, 6:29 PM
Mark, you have to stop ignoring me!!!! :( You hurt my feelings. I posted that book, web site, and price for our other CA friend.:p

This is worth reading!

Mark Singer
09-14-2004, 8:01 PM
[color=navy][b][i]
Tyler,
You must use pics like I did! You know that...your the Sherrif of the pic police.
It is a good book....I have it. I am not ignoring you....I would like to see a project though....:cool:

Bruce Page
09-14-2004, 8:17 PM
Chris, here’s my monster.

Carcass, all mortise & tenon construction, pegged with ironwood (had the ironwood on hand :rolleyes: ), raised panel (8, rear & 2, ends).
Vitals:
Top, 36”deep X 96”long X 2”thick maple.
Base, 30”deep X 72”long X 40”high, solid red oak.
14ea. 27”deep drawers.
28”deep X 30”wide X 17”high bulk storage area.
Floor to top height, 42”
Weight, HEAVY :eek:

Frank Pellow
09-14-2004, 8:22 PM
Very nice Bruce! But its furniture, not a workbench. At least, its not a workbench for the messy type of work that I do.

Bruce Page
09-14-2004, 8:35 PM
Very nice Bruce! But its furniture, not a workbench. At least, its not a workbench for the messy type of work that I do.Thanks Frank. I was pretty careful with it the first year or two but now I beat on it like it was my old 2X4 bench. :)

Matt Woodworth
09-14-2004, 8:45 PM
Oh cool, somebody wants to see my bench? I normally show co-workers who aren't interested. :)

http://www.just4fun.org/images/woodworking/workbench/full/DCP_1619.jpg

More pictures (http://www.just4fun.org/woodworking/projects/workbench/)

BTW, do you work for Cisco?

JayStPeter
09-14-2004, 10:18 PM
Check out this killer bench. Including the sweet vice I'm preparing to install, I have $12 in it. Unfortunately, the top was damaged by a large metalworking vice that was installed on one of the corners.

Jay

Gene Collison
09-14-2004, 10:47 PM
What do y'all have? I know I should probably make my own (and I have but not a traditional bench) but it is always a fine-line balance between building a shop for 2 years or getting the shop done ASAP to get the honey-do list done. :)

Chris,

I work in my garage too. My workbench is a Sjoberg with the cabinet and drawer setup on the bottom. I mounted mine on a HTC2000 mobile base and move it wherever it's needed. It has really worked well for me, I think you will get a lot more use out of it if it's portable instead of parked against the wall. I built a well on the back side of my bench to catch tools headed for the floor and another full bench length tool cabinet with sliding doors on the back side of the bench big enough to store sandpaper, block sanders, several planes and other stuff. I may even add one more tool box on each end for even more storage. For me, everything is on wheels.

Gene

Dan Mages
09-14-2004, 11:11 PM
Oh boy, Dan...we neeed PICS of that baby. I wanna see how you use the doorknob! :D

Here it is.. Please no bellyaching about the mess. I know I need to work on cleaning up my basement. Its a closet door, so there is only a knob on one side, which is on the bottom. I guess it could be used for clamping.

Dan

Ken Waag
09-15-2004, 12:13 AM
Dan,

Very nice! I couldn't help but notice looking at Mark Singer's bench (post#13), Bruce Page's Bench (post #31) , Matt Woodworth's Bench (post #34) and your recently posted pictures, it is really hard to see much difference (except of course their obvious lack of the door knob feature);) .

I can kid, I worked for a long time on nothing more than a sheet of 3/4" BC plywood supported by my own less than steady saw horses.

Lloyd Robins
09-15-2004, 12:52 AM
I think that a Veritas style top with their vises on a Noden base might be a good bench for those of us with bad backs. I wonder if they would fit together. What do you think? Most of the benches are beautiful, but don't they belong on the Neander side?

Mark Singer
09-15-2004, 1:06 AM
Lloyd,
The bench is an essential part of every workshop....I use power tools as well as hand tools. It is great to sand or rout a furniture part while it is held in the vise or on the bench using the dogs. It is a great place to grab a pencil and sketch a design....opps the pencil keeps going into those holes. I have even shared a little pizza with Ryan there ....use grated cheese sawdust is a poor substitute.

aurelio alarcon
09-15-2004, 2:36 AM
That door knob could be used as a bench dog.

Tom Sontag
09-15-2004, 2:43 AM
One thought for you Chris after reviewing this thread: you need to decide what kind of work you want to do on the bench. Folks here are mixing up what I call assembly benches with planing benches. If you are going to work wood by hand - planes, chisels, rasps, etc. then a planing bench that includes dog holes and other clamping methods is your best choice. And IMO you will need space to both the right and left of the bench for overhanging stock, which means your nook may not be ideal.

The others are quite right in saying that almost any flat surface is useful for assembly work and maybe even chopping a mortise or two. But for hand planing, there is no substitute for a substantial bench with dog holes. I have one of each kind in my two-bay shop; my outfeed doubles as the assembly cart.

John Weber
09-15-2004, 8:21 AM
Chris,

You should shoot Lie-Nielsen an email. When I took the class taught by Tom Lie Nielsen this summer they were just building the first benches. The Marc Adams school ordered 20 or 40 benches to start. I believe Tom said they would run around $2000 and be a traditional style, but more or less made to order in Maine. I know the height is variable, as well as possibly the length and width. I would at least shoot them an email and get some photos. The pictures we saw looked heavily constructed and primarily hand built with excellent joinery.

John

Bob Hovde
09-15-2004, 9:29 AM
Tom has the right idea. We're talking about different workbenches here. If you're going to stick the workbench in a corner, you just want a sturdy table (with storage below) - maybe with a machinist's vise on one corner. (My corner bench has three 2x6 nailed together for legs. I can park a car on it, but can't move it very well. Sometimes I get the top cleaned off so I can even see it. :D ) An assembly table can be most anything, and I usually just put a piece of plywood between saw horses. Norm's assembly table (with a great wheel arrangement) would be wonderful, but I'm not sure where I'd park it. I'd love to have one of those foreign-named "pretty wood" benches for carving panels - but I don't do that very often. Now, the cars will be parked...??

Bob

Chris Padilla
09-15-2004, 10:17 AM
Thanks for all the great responses.

We can get stuck all day on this style of bench vs. that style of bench etc but lets face it, any flat/sturdy surface in a shop or garage will be useful for something. I need a versatile large, steady, flat surface--probably on wheels, too. Maybe I need two of these?

I can easily see myself wanting to start working with hand planes and stuff...it is fun...so I've started thinking about a bench that will allow such things. However, I need a place to take the lawn mower apart on, or restring the trimmer, or hammer some metal on. You know, typical "I own a home" type of stuff that needs to get done. So, yeah, I need a spot for a machinest vise, too.

Lots to think about but I have time. Sigh, what I really need is SPACE!!!! Then all this would be moot...I could make a solid, scrap bench and a pick up a "pretty wood" woodworking bench or whatever. However, I may need a bench that does both, too.

Jim Becker
09-15-2004, 10:48 AM
Chris, I meant to respond to this earlier based on our related email exchange, but have been a little busy this week. The "modern materials" technique I was referencing is something like that illustrated in Woodsmith #133. I don't think they have been the only publication to suggest multiple layers of MDF as a benchtop substrate, but this was the one I was just able to find on my shelf with the help of their online search. It's worth checking out, if not for a primary "work of art" bench , than for other surfaces that you want to be full of mass, yet inexpensive.

Stewart Crick
09-15-2004, 10:55 AM
Chris,

I second Mark's recommendations.

Frank,

The top is approx. 92" x 24"

Stu

JayStPeter
09-15-2004, 11:00 AM
Chris,

I don't remember if you have one, but a Festool MFT seems like a good useful (and small) surface. Especially with all the clamps they have. The one thing I don't like about that LV bench is the trough. I suspect that in my shop it would become the permanent home to a bunch of stuff. But, as you say, we could spend days arguing bench designs.

My thoughts are to build 3 flat surface type benches.
1. An assembly table. Already built with folding table legs so I can put it away. It currently (marginally) functions as #2 also.
2. A power tool "bench" (maybe a MFT top for this). To be used for routing/panel sizing/biscuiting etc. Will house my Fein underneath.
3. A more traditional hand tool bench. The beater I show above is being modified to provide that functionality until I can build a nice one.

Jay

Rich Konopka
09-15-2004, 11:08 AM
Thanks for all the great responses.

We can get stuck all day on this style of bench vs. that style of bench etc but lets face it, any flat/sturdy surface in a shop or garage will be useful for something. I need a versatile large, steady, flat surface--probably on wheels, too. Maybe I need two of these?

I can easily see myself wanting to start working with hand planes and stuff...it is fun...so I've started thinking about a bench that will allow such things. However, I need a place to take the lawn mower apart on, or restring the trimmer, or hammer some metal on. You know, typical "I own a home" type of stuff that needs to get done. So, yeah, I need a spot for a machinest vise, too.

Lots to think about but I have time. Sigh, what I really need is SPACE!!!! Then all this would be moot...I could make a solid, scrap bench and a pick up a "pretty wood" woodworking bench or whatever. However, I may need a bench that does both, too.

Dilemma's, Dilemma's

You sound like me. I have outgrown my cheap counter plunked on the cabinet approach.

This Idea will not work for your Neanderthal ambitions

http://www.newyankee.com/getphoto2.cgi?0207.jpg

But this may may

http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?102
click on Arizona Ralph button

The Normie plans are very good and don't bother with a video.

Chris Padilla
09-15-2004, 11:25 AM
Here it is.. Please no bellyaching about the mess. I know I need to work on cleaning up my basement. Its a closet door, so there is only a knob on one side, which is on the bottom. I guess it could be used for clamping.

Dan
Dan,

I love it and I love the fact that you are willing to show us a REAL shop...one that is a mess...like mine! :)

Chris Padilla
09-15-2004, 11:27 AM
Oh cool, somebody wants to see my bench? I normally show co-workers who aren't interested. :)

BTW, do you work for Cisco?
Nice looking bench, Matt, and yes, as a matter of fact, I do work for Cisco. :)

John Weber
09-15-2004, 4:03 PM
Chris,

Wow, there are some great looking benches here. Another "cheaper" idea, my bench has the heart of a bowling alley, sits on surplus cabinets from our local cabinet factory, has a dog row, two vices, and even a tool tray. It's not a dream bench, but works decent for hand work, assembly, and the occasional home improvement (gluing, mower repair, you name it). I guess I have a couple hundred in it total.

John

http://www.weberwoodworking.com/picss04/shoptourbench-p.jpg

Chris Padilla
09-15-2004, 6:25 PM
Nice, clean, and versatile, John. I likes! :) I also likes that tongue 'n groove on your walls! I have a spot that I think I will try that out on! :)

Mark Singer
09-15-2004, 8:17 PM
Chris,
If you have the room, it is best to have the workbench set as an island so you can work all around it. This is very helpful for many operations

Chris Padilla
09-16-2004, 1:24 PM
Mark,

I wish I did but as is true for just about everything in my shop, it will need to be mobile of some sort. An island workbench would be nice and ideal, I agree. Who knows, my BMW may never, EVER make it back into the garage. Now how do design up a carport to match with the house...any one know a decent architect who works for pizza and wood??? ;)

James Carmichael
09-16-2004, 2:30 PM
Chris,

Grizzly sells laminated bench tops for less than I can buy the wood. .

Where are you buying your wood? The griz 60x30x1 3/4" top (about 22 BF) is $208, drive away. 8/4 maple is about $3.50 pbf locally.

Jon Olson
09-16-2004, 2:33 PM
Chris,
I'll trade you my Honda for the BMW and then you wouldn't have to worry about parking in the garage. Frees up space, new options for tools and a bench. ;)

Great work bench i deas all around, everybody!!! John Weber, that is nice clean space.

Jon

Steve Clardy
09-16-2004, 3:52 PM
Two island type benches. 4x8, 4x6.
One 30" solid core door with legs.
Two 2x4 with casters, one used for side table for cabinet saw for end cutting sheet stock.

Chris Padilla
09-16-2004, 4:34 PM
Pics, Steve...sheesh, and you're a veteran! :rolleyes:

Steve Clardy
09-16-2004, 4:46 PM
Pics, Steve...sheesh, and you're a veteran! :rolleyes:
Yea SHEEESH!!! Thought I'd sneak a post in without pics and I got caught!!!
I am packing for Terry's.
WHY AREN'T YOU ON THE PLANE YET???? LOL
Steve

Chris Padilla
09-16-2004, 4:52 PM
4:48 PM departure (Pacific Time)...I'm gettin' there, I'm gettin' there.... :) Just hold your horses....

Steve Clardy
09-16-2004, 5:01 PM
4:48 PM departure (Pacific Time)...I'm gettin' there, I'm gettin' there.... :) Just hold your horses....
DON'T STUB YOUR TOE!!!!!

Chris Padilla
12-20-2004, 5:58 PM
This is a good thread that I thought I'd revive for some folks. I'm still not sure what to do about a bench but I'm leaning towards building it myself...I have too much of a custom area for it me thinks.... :)

Jerry Olexa
12-20-2004, 11:15 PM
Chris, getting in your thread late but it seems to me, you have a unique area for the bench and the only way to maximize the effectiveness is to custom build one to fit the space. If you buy a WW bench right out of a catalog it may not fit properly and you'll have issues working the vices or bench dogs. I'd also consider 2 benches: one functional made to fit the space and do most/all everyday jobs, The 2nd could be mobile and more of a proifessional WW bench for your precision work, planing, sanding etc. Being that you have a time issue, I'd build one "down and dirty" w a flat top that fits your space. The 2nd could be ordered or you could buy a top (like Sjoberg) and custom build your underpinnings . This will save you both time and $. I also like S. Allen's book and Taunton also has a helpful one. Anyway, one man's opinion...

Mark Singer
12-21-2004, 12:13 AM
Making a bench is a great project if your heart is in it and you really make it special...it will not save money though. The best buys are from Gabi at Diffenbaugh , ranging from under $1000 to about $1400 . They are the most massive ones I have seen...with big vises. A great one at under $1000 is her "German" it is a joiners bench, great for planing and hand work...it is the Frid bench basically.
It comes in 3 sizes.
http://www.workbenches.com/images/BenchDrawing/German.gif

Mark Singer
12-21-2004, 12:21 AM
Another nice one, with the big vice , but no tail vise is the modern German...

I perfer a tail vise I am often working at that end shaping or holding a big panel..or a leg held in poppets...The tailvise gives you a linear thrust you don't get from a long vise...it depends what you get used to.. For Tyler...not really a pic though...
http://www.workbenches.com/images/BenchDrawing/ModernGerman.gif

Mark Singer
12-21-2004, 12:24 AM
And of course there is , for all the patriotic woodworkers...."The Ultimate American" I bought it just for the name...oh , yes it has a tail vise:eek:

http://www.workbenches.com/images/BenchDrawing/UltimateAmericanDrawers.gif

Jim Becker
12-21-2004, 9:39 AM
Chris, I think that Jerry speaks with good wisdom for your particular shop. Build a nice flat surface that fits in the intended "permanent" space with a nice face vice and then consider your options relative to any other bench space. You'll want mobility for anything to be used out on the shop floor, and you could use that bench for outfeed support, too, if necessary. And if the "built-in" bench (making some assumptions here...) needs to be the only bench, you can use the same thing I am to substitute for a tail vice..."Wonder Pups" from Lee Valley.