PDA

View Full Version : Hello, My Name is Jim & I am a Rustoholic

Jim Koepke
09-10-2009, 12:50 AM
While driving through town today we decided to take a look at the local pawn shop. Saw a few things and then saw a few planes on a shelf. One of them was this piece of rust. It was marked at $19.95. I asked if she could come down at all on the price. She said $15. At the register, I asked, "$15 even?" She said, "OK." So a ten and a five came out of the wallet.

Now there is another project in progress, actually now, it is in a tub in the kitchen sink soaking in citric acid.

The rust is a little thick, but it doesn't look like it is too settled in. We will see.

More later,

jim

Brian Kent
09-10-2009, 1:10 AM
Hi Jim.

It looks like it could have "Short Blade Syndrome." It may try to over-compensate by making extra long shavings.

Jim Koepke
09-10-2009, 1:31 AM
Spare blades are easy. The broken tote shouldn't be too hard. The front knob may be a problem. May have to chuck one of my replacements up in the lathe and modify it to fit.

jim

Brian Kent
09-10-2009, 1:33 AM
Is it a 4-1/2?

John Keeton
09-10-2009, 6:08 AM
Ahhhhh....the sweet smell and texture of rust:D Not much can beat it, 'cept maybe fresh apple pie! I am betting it cleans up well. I have a knob or two left over - let me know if you need one.

Dominic Greco
09-10-2009, 8:18 AM
While driving through town today we decided to take a look at the local pawn shop. Saw a few things and then saw a few planes on a shelf. One of them was this piece of rust. It was marked at $19.95. I asked if she could come down at all on the price. She said $15. At the register, I asked, "$15 even?" She said, "OK." So a ten and a five came out of the wallet.

Now there is another project in progress, actually now, it is in a tub in the kitchen sink soaking in citric acid.

The rust is a little thick, but it doesn't look like it is too settled in. We will see.

More later,

jim

Jim,
Is that a Bedrock 604?! :eek: And you got it for $15?!!

Oh,.....you suck.

I can't wait to see how it turns out! My 604 is my favorite "small" smoother (I prefer a 4 1/2 to smooth).

Prashun Patel
09-10-2009, 8:46 AM
Please post your progress, Jim. I'm rehabbing for the 1st time, have read most of yr posts b4, and would really benefit from a play-by-play on this one (if you have the time and the pride ;))

Jim Koepke
09-10-2009, 12:21 PM
Oops, I forgot to mention it is a #604.

John, thanks for the offer. I have a few knobs, one will have to be trimmed a little to fit as I do not have any that fit in to the ring at the base.

Please post your progress, Jim. I'm rehabbing for the 1st time, have read most of yr posts b4, and would really benefit from a play-by-play on this one (if you have the time and the pride ;))

Shawn,
What are you rehabbing or planning to rehab?

Pride, there is plenty of, time is another thing. I do not plan on much other than some lapping and putting it back together. I will post some pictures. It likely will not need any paint, but that could take a few more days.

Not sure if I will do anything different than what was done for the #7 in my thread on Fettling old metal planes in the Neanderthal Wisdom/FAQs under group 7 Rehabbing Old Tools.

Well, it was put in a citric acid bath last night and needs to come out in a little while. That is different, but rust removal has been covered in many threads and can be found by doing a search.

jim

Prashun Patel
09-10-2009, 1:21 PM
I'm rehabbing this one:

Sargent 418.

It's actually in really decent shape. More dirt than rust. Needed a new tote.

Almost done.

Matt Hankins
09-10-2009, 2:12 PM
Oops, I forgot to mention it is a #604.Oh, you "forgot", huh.

Nice get, Jim.

Matt

Oh, and I forgot to mention: "You Suck!"

Ken Werner
09-10-2009, 3:01 PM
Hmmm let me do the math.

604 + $15 =

one lucky rustaholic

All the best,
Ken

william scott
09-10-2009, 8:41 PM
I'm new, and I'm a Rustaholic as well. I just cleaned the rust off two planes, a Seargent #3 and what seems to be a Stanley, with I02 on it and a sweetheart blade. I didn't take 'before' pictures, so I'll just throw this picture in of the next rusty project. It's a hand grinder to grind those plane blades on. The grinder seems to be intact and hopefully the rust will clean off with no lasting damage.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y213/loneviking/Rustyhandgrinder.jpg

Jim Koepke
09-10-2009, 11:14 PM
William,

Welcome to the Creek. One of my future projects is to get my human powered grinder working. It will involve building a stand for it as it is a big wheel and is foot powered.

As far as the Bedrock rehab goes, it is up and running.

There really wasn't anything special, educational or out of the ordinary involved in cleaning and getting the plane to work. Of course, if you compare these to the original pictures, it looks like the patron saint of planes came in and performed a miracle.

It was given a bath over night in citric acid. Today it was rinsed, dried, wire brushed or sanded as needed. I left the patina on the sides.

Getting a good picture of the sole is difficult, this one almost shows some of the light pitting still on the sole.

It works well, but I really can not say it is any better than one of my Bailey #4 smoothers. The only thing really noticeable is there seems to be less feedback (vibration) coming from the wood.

jim

Matt Ranum
09-10-2009, 11:30 PM
Hi everyone I'm Matt and I am a rustoholic.

In my recovery process I surprised myself today. At an auction looking at a table saw(...gasp...) there was a box that had 2 Craftsman screwdrivers, a 3/4" pipe clamp, a Superior Warranted panel saw, a Stanley 60 1/2, and a grease gun. And...I didn't buy it (...gasp..gasp...) actually I was on the phone and missed it, for $5!!!

I got weak and had to sit down for a second or two.:p

Re hab looks great Jim!

John Keeton
09-11-2009, 7:17 AM
Jim, spectacular save on the Bedrock! And, the knob replacement worked out great. Interesting comment on whether it is better than the #4s you have. From my very limited exposure to the oldies (Thanks, Jim!) it does seem that some planes are "sweeter" than others of the same make/size. Not sure why that is, as my untrained eye cannot tell the difference. Could be minute differences in the flatness of the frog, or alignment issues that can't be perceived with the eye. In any event, looks like you at least have a keeper - and at a heck of a price, too!!

Jim Koepke
09-11-2009, 11:59 AM
Jim, spectacular save on the Bedrock! And, the knob replacement worked out great. Interesting comment on whether it is better than the #4s you have. From my very limited exposure to the oldies (Thanks, Jim!) it does seem that some planes are "sweeter" than others of the same make/size. Not sure why that is, as my untrained eye cannot tell the difference. Could be minute differences in the flatness of the frog, or alignment issues that can't be perceived with the eye. In any event, looks like you at least have a keeper - and at a heck of a price, too!!

Whether or not to keep this plane is to be decided. The sweetness or lack of it for me is a tactile thing. The Bedrock seems to dampen the feel from the wood. I have not used it enough to really give a thorough evaluation.

It seems with a very sharp blade and a minimal cut, it can tame the changing grain in soft woods like pine and cedar. The same can be said of a Bailey style plane. Time will tell. It is getting a little crowded with #4 size planes in my shop though. There are 2 type 6s, 1 type 9 and the Bedrock #604.

jim