PDA

View Full Version : Saw Marks on Bandsaw Box

Dennis McDonaugh
02-15-2003, 9:13 PM
I made my first bandsaw box this week and sawed the top off last night. There were some blade marks on the cut line so I tried to sand them off. All I ended up doing was make the joint between the box and the lid off kilter. What's the best way to get rid of the marks without messing up the fit between the lid and box?

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-16-2003, 8:27 AM
When you say 'bandsaw box' I think of a curvy shaped box. Is the cut where you took the top off curvy? If so, I reckon you'll need some patience. If it's flat and you're just having problems keeping it that way, stick a sheet of sandpaper down on a flat surface (tablesaw top?) and 'grind' the surfaces. By controlling the workpiece instead of the sander/sandpaper you can get things very flat.

KC

Tom Sweeney
02-16-2003, 10:09 AM
<p align"center"><font size="2" color="red"><b>Where were you yesterday Kirk?</b> :rolleyes: </p>
I have some small peices of curly maple I was sanding with a belt sander clamped to my bench. I couldn't easily get them flat. :o
Your idea would have probably worked fine - especially since they are so small.</font>

Bob Reilly
02-16-2003, 12:26 PM
Dennis is this the kind of box your talking about?

Bob Reilly
02-16-2003, 12:30 PM
OOPS, forgot to resize that pic before posting and can't post anymore today, but you get the idea.

Dennis McDonaugh
02-16-2003, 1:56 PM
I guess I'm not talking about a bandsaw box, its just a square box that I used a bandsaw to cut the lid off of.

Chris DiCiaccio
02-16-2003, 3:13 PM
Dennis, Great looking piece!