PDA

View Full Version : tool gloat-

Nathan Hawkes
09-09-2009, 11:09 PM
Just got a new to me used arc welder off craigslist. Lincoln AC225. Seems to be a good machine. Now to get some welding lessons......new shopmade tools my way

Steve Schlumpf
09-09-2009, 11:48 PM
Nate - congrats on your new welder! Looking forward to seeing what kind of turning tools you end up making!

Jerome Hanby
09-10-2009, 8:55 AM
Think that's approximately the model my Dad had back in the day. I never took any lessons, but I did make some really ugly joints!

Mike Spanbauer
09-10-2009, 1:25 PM
I've got one, it's the same model I learned on many years ago in shop class. Reliable and consistent.

One thing though is that it's not great for detail work... I MUCH prefer a wire feed or a TIG, but the cost is much higher for quality units in either of those.

Are you familiar with rods and the number schema? You'll want to do some research and learn the differnences and which is appropriate for which material and at what amperage. It's not hard, just needed.

Grats! It'll last a long time if the cables are cared for :)
mike

Richard Madison
09-10-2009, 2:07 PM
Happy new (used) welder Nathan. You should never lack for custom made tool rests now. My welding isn't pretty but the stuff stays stuck together.