PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat (maybe)

Jim Glock
09-09-2009, 8:04 PM
I have access to these long Greenheart wood timbers located in the Galveston Bay area. They were pulled up after being submerged for over 90 years from a wharf in Texas City about 10 years ago. I cut a couple of two foot sections to see what they look like and how they will turn. Extremely HARD and HEAVY! If anyone has info on the wood...please share. jg

Ray Binnicker
09-09-2009, 9:17 PM
Hey Jim,
Greenheart is also known as IPE. It is indeed very hard. It is used a lot for decking. I have turned a little of it. It is not on my short list of favorite woods. I have made several small bench tops out of it; one I use as my sharpening bench. I don't have to worry about getting it wet, or anything. As my grandpa would say about it; "its as hard as woodpecker lips."

Ray Binnicker

curtis rosche
09-09-2009, 9:27 PM
one word of warning that i read in a 1970s issue of a woodworking magazine. greenheart can be explosive. they said that at the mill they would have to wrap a chain around the log as it was cut, because the wood has a tendancy to explosively split when the saw kerf came incontact with enough air. they showed a picture where one log had actually put a hole in the wall of the mill. thats all i remember about greenheart

Richard Madison
09-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Jim,
Can't help about the wood, but you will have an interesting historical note or story to go along with whatever you turn from it. Should help it sell.