PDA

View Full Version : Source for plastic laminate

Dick Sylvan
09-09-2009, 1:18 PM
I am building a router table and am trying to find two pieces of 20" x 30" plastic laminate for the table top. I am in the fourth largest city in the country and so far nobody I've talked to sells less than 3' x 8' sheets. Even HD and Lowe's don't cut it down like they do with plywood and MDF. Any ideas? Thanks.

Donald Brunswick
09-09-2009, 1:23 PM
The HD and Lowes in Pasadena usually have broken pieces for sale, don't know if you've tried others locally.

donald

Stan Johnsey
09-09-2009, 1:39 PM
Most places sell 4x8 sheets.

john bateman
09-09-2009, 1:42 PM
A whole sheet at HD or Lowes is only about $45. Buy one and use the remainder for a drill press table, outfeed table for the tablesaw, and any number of jigs.

Walter Plummer
09-09-2009, 5:26 PM
Check the phone book for a local cabinet shop. There is usually so much "Scrap" that it gets tossed. May not get to pick a color but it may be free.

Rick Dennington
09-09-2009, 6:43 PM
I would check the cabinet shops like Walter said where they make kitchen countertops. Most of the time they will give you the cutout for the sink, which is already laminated, or have some extra scrap to get rid of. I made 2 r.t. tops from the cutouts. If they are big enough, you're in business. You might not get the color you want, but hey--- it's free, and free is my favorite word in the dictionary!! Rick D.