PDA

View Full Version : EM 6000 in Black?

Todd Hoppe
09-09-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm getting ready to finish a crib project. I have a couple of questions about the finish:

(1) I'm going to paint this crib black. Does anyone know if you can get the Target USL or EM6000 tinted black? I have seen discussions of adding Mixol or other pigments. Is there anyplace I can just order it ready mixed?

(2) Are those coatings "child safe"

(3) What product should I use to prime / seal before spraying the final finish?

(4) The crib is modular. The sides will bolt to the headboard and the footboard, but need to come apart later, so that the crib can become a toddler bed, and then a full size bed. Do the Target finishes stick to itself like ordinary latex wall paint?

I have used General Finishes Enduro in white and clear before, with very good results. However, I would really like to try the General Finishes to compare.

Leigh Betsch
09-09-2009, 1:34 PM
I bought a gallon of Target USL tinted black online from Jeff Jewit at homestead finishing last year. I beleive it has been repalced bu the EM6000. You can google his web site.
I used a Taget Sanding Sealer first to level the surface before top coating with the black USL. I beleive the one I used has been replaced by a new one. You can e-mail Jeff, he usually gets back to you the same day, or call him.

Jamie Buxton
09-09-2009, 1:55 PM
The Target finishes don't stick to themselves like latex. However, they're a little odd. I can sand EM8000 within a hour of spraying it. It is cured enough then to tolerate sanding. However, it really does want several days to get fully cured. That is, you can do your construction quickly, but do give the final product those extra days before you bolt it tightly together.

Jim Tobias
09-09-2009, 9:37 PM
I am doing a project right now using the EM6000 tinted black with mixol. It is BLACK and goes on well. I am spraying with Fuji Q4. I sprayed a seal coat of Target's Emtech EM8800 Water Based Universal Sealer, then 2 coats of the mixol tinted EM6000. It is totally black.

Jim

Roger Jensen
09-09-2009, 9:41 PM
Hi Jim,

How much Mixol do you add per gallon (or quart) of topcoat?

Thanks,

Roger

Jim Tobias
09-10-2009, 7:19 AM
To get the black that I wanted, Jeff(at Target) suggested 1 bottle(MIXOL Black Universal WB Pigment Dispersion. 500ml) of the black mixol in a gallon of EM6000. It worked and gave a very black finish. I used a semi gloss EM6000. You could use whatever sheen you preferred.

Jim

Todd Hoppe
09-10-2009, 7:25 AM
Thanks for all the responses. I think I have my plan of attack!

Todd Hoppe
10-14-2009, 8:48 AM
I just wanted to follow up on this, as I just finished spraying a couple of days ago. I'll post pictures as soon as I complete assembling all the pieces in the house.

I balked at the price of Mixol (about $54 for a 500ml bottle), so I purchased lamp black universal colorant at Menards. I just asked at the paint desk, and they sold me a 1 quart (950 ml) container for $7.50.

The universal colorant worked great using about 500ml per gallon of EM6000. The finish is black as night.

This was my first experience with Target finishes. I think I actually prefer the General Enduro acrylics. However, I presume I would have better results in warmer conditions than we had in Michigan last weekend.

Byron Trantham
10-14-2009, 12:43 PM
I tried to find a water based pigment and have had little luck. We do not have a Menard's in our area so I called Sherwin Williams -no luck. $54 for 500ml of Mixol is very steep! Add that to about $50 for the lacquer and we're talking ~$100/gal!:mad: There has got to be a source for a cheaper pigment.:confused:

Jamie Buxton
10-14-2009, 3:59 PM
I tried to find a water based pigment and have had little luck. We do not have a Menard's in our area so I called Sherwin Williams -no luck. $54 for 500ml of Mixol is very steep! Add that to about $50 for the lacquer and we're talking ~$100/gal!:mad: There has got to be a source for a cheaper pigment.:confused:

Google with "universal colorant". Universal colorant is what they squirt into latex paint to custom-color it. It is pigment in a methyl ethyl glycol solvent, so it is compatable with waterbornes, latex (a specific kind of waterborne), and solvent-based paints. Hence the name. Mixol is a (pricey) brand of universal colorant.

$10 or so for a quart.

Todd Hoppe
10-16-2009, 7:50 AM
I would just ask at the Home Depot or Lowes paint desk then. If they use it for normal water base wall paint, it should work fine.

Rob Cunningham
10-16-2009, 8:23 AM
You could also try an art supply store.