PDA

View Full Version : Segmented Wood comparison critque

Harvey Crouch
09-09-2009, 10:24 AM
On 01-28-09, I posted the picture on the left. My concern was that the woods that I had used (mesquite & maple) did not have enough contrast. Although comments were kind, I still believed more contrast would look better. I just finished the similar bowl on the right which is made of holly, bloodwood and shedua. Was it an improvement?

David Christopher
09-09-2009, 10:31 AM
Harvey, I dont know about improvement. I think both are beautiful....I would say its just what mood youre in that day to which one you like best......BTW, outstanding work

Bill Wyko
09-09-2009, 12:12 PM
I would have to say they both have their place in a rooms decor. The one on the left has a softer tone and would go well with a room that has warm tones. The one onthe right would work well in a room where darker decor would need something to draw you into it. Both are fantastic turnings. Very well done.

Greg Ketell
09-09-2009, 3:24 PM
Both are pretty but I like the left one better. The right one is just too "bright" and too contrasty for my tastes. I think if you found woods that "split the difference" you would find my personal sweet spot.

Steve Schlumpf
09-09-2009, 4:35 PM
Harvey - I have to agree with the general consensus that both are equally nice turnings! I believe preference in this case is just a matter of personal taste. Very nice work on both but really impressive that you were able to duplicate the design!

Bernie Weishapl
09-09-2009, 11:36 PM
Harvey both are beautiful pieces. One has a softer glow to it and the other just stands out. Well done one both.

Tom Giacomo
09-10-2009, 2:07 AM
I agree both are great, but I tend to like the left one, it just seems warmer but it's a case of taste. PS. where do you get holly, I never can find it.

Gary Max
09-10-2009, 2:17 AM
Personally---I like the one on the left best----heck I would even be willing to pay the postage to get it here.

Bruce McElhaney
09-10-2009, 8:02 AM
Harvey, it might be a Goldilocks and the three bears kind of thing. The first is a bit muted the second a bit contrasty. I do like them both, but might prefer a third version with lighter maple instead of the more contrasty holly against the shedua. I also prefer the rim on the newer version. BTW, love that roadrunner, it's great.

Dan Ewalt
09-10-2009, 8:26 AM
I think it depends on the taste of the person looking.

For me the first is more pleasing to my eye because I like the more subtle contrast, but as said before both are stunning pieces of work.

Mark Patoka
09-10-2009, 9:31 AM
I like both also and each has their own look but I prefer the constrast of the 2nd one more. As mentioned, I think swapping the holly and maple with each other might give a little more contrast to the mesquite but not quite as stark a constast to the 2nd one.

Harvey Crouch
09-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Thank you all for your comments. Frankly, I am surprised that the preference was for the muted colors. I will definitely keep that it mind in the future. Holly is available on ebay. Search for holly lumber, NOT hollywood.

George Guadiane
09-10-2009, 1:50 PM
Both well done, but the latest one demands more attention.
Don't necessarily think that makes it any "better," just likely to be for a slightly different clientele.

Richard Madison
09-10-2009, 2:01 PM
Agree that each is good in an appropriate setting. Might be good to compare both shot against a white or graduated background.

Thom Sturgill
09-10-2009, 4:09 PM
Setting aside the overall color tone issue, I think the design band on the second is better, but I don't like the base wood as well. One thing that bothers me about many seg pieces, is the variance in tone on the main body of the piece, which seems more pronounced on the second piece.

Both pieces seem to be well executed, and I would be proud to have made either!

Bill Bolen
09-10-2009, 4:14 PM
Both are superb! I'm impressed that you could get them so close in form and design. I've got to go with the lighter one (odd for me). The colors compliment each other in a more subtle manner. Odd.... I'm ususally drawn to the darker pieces with more contrast!?

Malcolm Tibbetts
09-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Harvey, not to be forgotten is the unavoidable darkening that all woods experience as they age. I think you will find, that in the long run, your second vessel (on the right) will maintain the needed contrast. In five years, the features on your first vessel will be even more muted and those segmenting efforts will no longer have any impact. Just something to think about as we design segmented work. Nice work!

Harvey Crouch
09-11-2009, 7:52 AM
Thanks, Malcolm. That is a good point that had not occured to me.