View Full Version : Weekend Pen, the first

Jeff Sudmeier
09-13-2004, 10:29 PM
Well I got the lathe about 2 weeks ago and the pen mandrel on Thursday. I turned the first pen this weekend. The pic quality isn't the best because my digital cam is on the fritz.

I have definately caught the turning bug! I have ordered more pen kits and a buck and coyote call.

The wood was from the grab bin at woodcraft, I am unsure of what it is. I like the wood though!
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albut49/FirstPen1.sized.jpg

Dick Parr
09-13-2004, 10:57 PM
Very nice pen Jeff, your hooked now. :D

Jeff Sudmeier
09-13-2004, 11:11 PM
I am hooked for sure... you guys always said that it was a black hole after a lathe!!!...

All I have done all night is look for pen kits at a price lower than woodcraft.

Jim Ketron
09-13-2004, 11:31 PM
Great Job Jeff!
Here is a good place to get Pen Kits http://www.pocwoodworking.com/ I purchased some a while back. I try to help the little guy/gal when I can and there are some great prices, and they take Pay-pal.
Not affiliated with them just a happy coustomer
Jim

Russell Svenningsen
09-14-2004, 8:23 AM
You've come over to the "Dark Side" now! Nice Work! Isnt' it amazing how quickly all of your stock suddenly looks like turning material once you make something like that on the lathe?

It's a sickness........hope I never recover!

Jim Becker
09-14-2004, 8:29 AM
Woo-hoo!! Nice job on the first pen, Jeff. I rmemeber my first...it was turned in a class that Bill Grumbine taught at Woodcraft back in about...1996. Actually, I still have it. I suggest you keep your first, too.

Tyler Howell
09-14-2004, 8:41 AM
You'll always remember your first! Very nice!:cool:

Donnie Raines
09-14-2004, 8:41 AM
It sure looks nice....but does it work?????...... :cool: :D :rolleyes:

Jeff Sudmeier
09-14-2004, 8:59 AM
Donnie, I will try to post a pic of something I wrote with it! LOL I didn't realize that the pic patrol required in use pics :)

Donnie Raines
09-14-2004, 9:30 AM
Donnie, I will try to post a pic of something I wrote with it! LOL I didn't realize that the pic patrol required in use pics :)
Now....we need to see the pen it's self...in action...with ones hand attached to it!.....

Glad you have a sense of humor!!! :D

Jeff Sudmeier
09-14-2004, 1:26 PM
Actually, the funniest part that I did not include was that it didn't work at first!!:eek: . I twisted it and nothing happend no pen tip. I know I adjusted it right. So I look down the point... hmm... Take it apart... AHHHHH ha!! I didn't put in the refill... LOL

Chris Padilla
09-14-2004, 1:27 PM
Uh-oh...I *knew* I shouldn't have ordered that free pen-making DVD that Jackie posted a link to...grrrrrr..... I have no room for a lathe 'cause I know pens will turn into goblets...and then plates...and then vases...and then bats....it is like a disease. :)

Ken Fitzgerald
09-14-2004, 10:44 PM
You've got the knack! Nice work! But don't forget............"The world is flat......the world is flat!" :rolleyes: