PDA

View Full Version : Shopmade screw chuck problem

Mike Minto
09-09-2009, 10:20 AM
I have a screw chuck I made for turning small items - the problem I'm having is that the screw hole often strips out on the piece of wood I'm working on. Do you guys have the same prob? How might I keep this from happening, any ideas? Thanks, Mike

Rob Cunningham
09-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Have you tried drilling a smaller pilot hole in the wood?

Wally Dickerman
09-09-2009, 12:48 PM
,Mike, way back when the modern day screwchuck wasn't around I made screwchucks using a piece of wood and a lag bolt which was screwed to a faceplate. After shortening the bolt to the proper length I deepened the grooves and sharpened it with a rattail file.

A couple of things that might help....perhaps your bored hole is too large in dia. After seating the piece on the chuck, remove it and pour a little thin CA glue in the hole. After the glue is dry reseat the piece. The hardened threads will hold a lot better.

Wally

Antonio Martinez
09-09-2009, 1:13 PM
CA Glue - why didn't I think of that! I have the same problem - last night darn near thew that darn chuck into the neighbor's lawn so his mower could chew it up. I'm going home today and try that trick - may just save my day!

Bernie Weishapl
09-09-2009, 11:41 PM
I do like Wally. Drill a smaller hole and pour CA glue in. Holds fine.

Steve Schlumpf
09-09-2009, 11:46 PM
Mike - curious as to what you are using for a screw? I know they have some specialty screws at Menards, SPAX or something, that are supposed to have deeper threads for better holding.

Mark Burge
09-10-2009, 12:08 AM
Coincidentally, I just had that problem a few minutes ago. I have given up for the night, but I think I'll try the CA trick tomorrow. Thanks Wally and thanks Mike for asking the question.

Gordon Seto
09-10-2009, 12:58 AM
The type of the threads of the screw is important. Regular 60 degree threads won't leave enough wood for strength. The threads are compressing the wood fiber rather than cutting the wood.
The picture is the threads of the Glaser screw chuck screw. It has wide and thin steel threads. The non threaded portion of the shaft is straight. It is made out of hardened stainless steel. IMO, it is the best for this purpose. Usually 4 full threads in side grain would hold.
http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o83/gbseto/GlaserScrew009-1-1.jpg

One common mistake turners make when using this type of screw is the pre-drill hole is too shallow. The screw bottoms out and strip the threads in wood

Mike Minto
09-10-2009, 9:45 AM
Mike - curious as to what you are using for a screw? I know they have some specialty screws at Menards, SPAX or something, that are supposed to have deeper threads for better holding.

Steve, I'm using just a 'regular' screw I had in one of my bins, it's about a #8, I'd guess - it's not a one-use type of thing - would one with SPAX be reusable, you think? I'll try to use a smaller drill and insure I drill a deep enough hole - will report back. Mike :)

Steve Schlumpf
09-10-2009, 9:51 AM
Mike - next time you are in a hardware or borg type store - checkout what they have for deep threaded screws. Not advocating SPAX in particular - just that there are deep threaded screws available that may work better in your application.

Here is the SPAX site - check out their lags. http://www.spax.com/usa/

Don Orr
09-10-2009, 10:14 AM
Mike,

It also makes a difference which grain direction the screw is going into. End grain will not hold any where near as well as edge or face grain.

Mike Minto
09-10-2009, 11:44 AM
thanks, guys - i will make another screw chuck with some kind of deeper threaded screws (i do have some SPAX on hand) and may try the CA way, as well. I am screwing in to edge grain for the body of the birdhouses; will report back. mike

Wally Dickerman
09-11-2009, 6:48 PM
thanks, guys - i will make another screw chuck with some kind of deeper threaded screws (i do have some SPAX on hand) and may try the CA way, as well. I am screwing in to edge grain for the body of the birdhouses; will report back. mike

Using a screwchuck for end grain turning is not a good choice. It just won't hold well. If you do use it I suggest very light cuts and NO catches. Use your tailstock if you can.

Wally

neil mackay
09-12-2009, 8:10 AM
A couple of things that might help....perhaps your bored hole is too large in dia. After seating the piece on the chuck, remove it and pour a little thin CA glue in the hole. After the glue is dry reseat the piece. The hardened threads will hold a lot better.

I agree, CA is very handy if you have any doubts about the screw chuck holding