PDA

View Full Version : Koa and my MM-16

Ken Fitzgerald
09-09-2009, 8:36 AM
I have a co-worker who lives some 135 miles away. We seldom see each other except at our semi-annual business social gatherings. He builds guitars as a hobby.

He had some Koa he'd bought and wanted resawn some to 1/8" thickness and some to 3/16" thickness. We have 2 installations going simultaneously locally and Mark volunteered to help.

Last night he showed up with his Koa for his next couple guitars. He wanted the wood bookmatched.

I'd played with resawing but really hadn't done any. So we broke out a new Olsen 3/4" bi-metal blade. I took some apricot which I thought was pretty hard and used it to set the thickness. In 2 hours we resawed all the Koa and my apricot. He was impressed with the quality of the cut and he decided the apricot would look good in a guitar and took it with him too.

That Koa is some hard wood!

Larry Fox
09-09-2009, 11:24 AM
IMHO the MM-16 is a wonderful resaw bandsaw. I know nothing of that blade you mention but throw a Tri-Master on it and feed it as much wood as you have and it will not miss a beat. I resawed a bunch of 8/4 walnut into 3/32" thick leaves of fantastic veneer over the weekend and the saw didn't skip a beat.

Rod Sheridan
09-09-2009, 12:45 PM
Ken, your post title intrigued me, I thought "Ken took his bandsaw to a KOA?"

That's pretty clever Ken, next time I go camping I'll bring my bandsaw, there must some nice trees in a campground right?:D

regards, Rod.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-09-2009, 12:48 PM

That's pretty clever Ken, next time I go camping I'll bring my bandsaw, there must some nice trees in a campground right?:D

regards, Rod.

This is Ken in Idaho....looking down.....shaking his head......:rolleyes:

James Carmichael
09-09-2009, 5:51 PM

Wow, so the MM-16 is a bandsaw and an RV:confused: What kinda mileage does it get?

Jim Becker
09-09-2009, 10:34 PM
SO....you got to resaw his koa and you also paid him to do it with your apricot?? LOL

Ken Fitzgerald
09-09-2009, 11:33 PM

regards, Rod.

Wow, so the MM-16 is a bandsaw and an RV:confused: What kinda mileage does it get?[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Jim Becker;1211148]SO....you got to resaw his koa and you also paid him to do it with your apricot?? LOL

I'm going to have my wife check my back for a Cyber bullseye!:eek::rolleyes: