PDA

View Full Version : Jack Plane

Gregg Feldstone
09-09-2009, 6:50 AM
I'm interested in a Lie Nielson #62 low angle jack plane.
Would this plane be easier for me to use as a beginner than a traditional bench plane like the #4? I mean, would it be easier to get the "feel" of using a plane than the #4?

Mike Cutler
09-09-2009, 8:06 AM
Gregg

I don't know that "easier" is a good descriptive term.
I have the #62 from LN as well as an LN #4 1/2 and 5. The feel of the different planes is just "different" is all.
Comparing a #4 to a #5, or the #62 may not be a good comparison, as the planes have different purposes.

None the less. The LN #62 is a great plane.

Prashun Patel
09-09-2009, 9:09 AM
As a newbie myself (1 year into the world of planes), let me offer my 2cents:

I bought a Stanley Bailey #4 on ebay for about $30. It was in good condition, which just means the blade required sharpening and the sole some flattening. It took a long time to understand what sharp was and to get the right feel to take proper shavings.

I recently bought a Veritas Bevel up smoother (which would be analagous to your LN LA jack - except smaller) and it is a dream out of the box - and i bought mine USED. If I had started with this tool, I would have had a good standard against which to judge a plane's fitness.

So, I think yr idea to get a good plane first is a smart one.

One suggestion though:
I settled on the Veritas trio of planes: Bevel up smoother, low angle jack, low angle jointer. The reason is that the blades are all interchangeable. So you can get a 25, 38, and 50 deg bevelled blades and then use each for end grain, general work, and high figure smoothing. Not sure the LN's can do that.

Zach Dillinger
09-09-2009, 9:43 AM
As a newbie myself (1 year into the world of planes), let me offer my 2cents:

I bought a Stanley Bailey #4 on ebay for about $30. It was in good condition, which just means the blade required sharpening and the sole some flattening. It took a long time to understand what sharp was and to get the right feel to take proper shavings.

I recently bought a Veritas Bevel up smoother (which would be analagous to your LN LA jack - except smaller) and it is a dream out of the box - and i bought mine USED. If I had started with this tool, I would have had a good standard against which to judge a plane's fitness.

So, I think yr idea to get a good plane first is a smart one.

One suggestion though:
I settled on the Veritas trio of planes: Bevel up smoother, low angle jack, low angle jointer. The reason is that the blades are all interchangeable. So you can get a 25, 38, and 50 deg bevelled blades and then use each for end grain, general work, and high figure smoothing. Not sure the LN's can do that.

They can, you just have to buy an extra blade or two and grind them to the proper angle.

Joel Goodman
09-09-2009, 10:16 AM
I think you have a good idea. The LN 62 is basically a large block plane so there is no chip breaker which is one less thing to fiddle with. One note though -- for general planing (long grain) be sure and sharpen the iron to 35 or 38 degrees (with a microbevel) otherwise you may get a lot of tearout. (I have 2 irons for my 62)
But you'll still need to master sharpening. I would try to attend one of the free LN events and try out both types of planes.

Doug Shepard
09-09-2009, 11:17 AM
That LN LA Jack was the first really good plane I ever bought and is still one of my favorites. After finding out how a plane was supposed to work, I was hooked. I used it a few days ago on some wide poplar drawer fronts that had to be glued from narrower stuff. If you keep it sharp and get the mouth adjusted up tight, plus put a little camber on the corners, you can usually avoid tearout or plane tracks though a 2nd blade with a steeper angle would certainly help too.

Richard Magbanua
09-09-2009, 1:03 PM
I have the LN62 and love it. HOWEVER, whether it is a good choice for you depends on how you plan on using it. I bought mine with an extra blade. I use the 62 with a 25deg blade ground straight for use on a shooting board with end grain. I use another blade ground to 38 deg with a slight camber for most everything else.
It is a versatile plane up to a point. I use mine for jointing, flattening and a bit of smoothing. I find it very easy to adjust and it keeps its setting well. There are times though that I'm better off using my Stanley no 4 with a Hock blade for smoothing. The 62 is too long to follow the very slight curves of the board to consistently smooth the entire surface. Some areas will need to be addressed more due to tearout or reversing grain. If I'm feeling crazy and want to plane a board from the rough I use my Stanley no 5 with a blade that has a much more pronounced camber on it to hog-off the wood faster. Then I'll either go to the 62 or hit it with another no 5. I suppose I've no need to wear out the 62 if I don't have to.
So, you could use it for multiple jobs and it would work well but not as good as planes made for that purpose. I'm glad I got it though. I finally got something in my shop that I'm confident is straight and flat.

Ken Werner
09-09-2009, 1:23 PM
I'll toss my $.02 in also. The LN 62 LA jack is a great plane, but it isn't a do all plane for all purposes. If you're a beginner, you might do well with a Stanley 4, and 5. Learn what a finely tuned plane can do. Perhaps even a LN LA block plane. Or ultimately the LV trio. But I don't think the 62 is a great starter plane. Just one man's opinion.

Pam Niedermayer
09-09-2009, 1:46 PM
The LN LA Jack (or the LV) is my recommendation for beginning woodworkers, has been for years. It works right out of the box (although some say the blade could be spiffed up a bit, not my experience) and does so many tasks very well, from jack to smoother to shooter to try plane to..... As you gain experience and refine your practice and needs, you can purchase a special plane for each task. Eventually you may wonder why you still have it, you've specialized each task it does; but then you remember how great it was and decide to keep it just to have it around.

Pam

jim hedgpeth
09-09-2009, 2:14 PM
I got the LV jack and smoother a month ago, and highly recommend both. I am working on getting a good miter saw now, but plan to get the jointer to finish the trio soon. I have never handled the LN but I'm sure they are just as good, but a bit more money with a bit more polish. If you can afford a good plane go for it you will not be disapointed, adicted however...........:D probably.

Jim

Sean Hughto
09-09-2009, 2:25 PM
They're all easy. Pick one that looks good to you as a start. You can't go wrong.

Dean Karavite
09-09-2009, 5:50 PM
Gregg, as a newbie myself, I find I use my Lee Valley Low Angle Jack more than my Lie Nielsen #4. I find it more appropriate for the types of things I am doing. The LV is similar to the LN and from what I understand about LN, they think this is one of their best planes. You can't go wrong. Of course you will want a #4 and more soon. However, how about the LN Low Angle Adjustable Mouth Block plane? Now, that is a plane you will use all the time.