PDA

View Full Version : Graphic Modification Help

Kevin Baker
09-09-2009, 4:55 AM
Hi Everyone.

I'm slowly been converting the attached graphic into something I want to engrave and then cut out. I'm trying to remove the shadow the 2nd tablet is throwing onto the first and reducing the shadow on the 2nd tablet (on the right). My plan is to engrave this on acrylic and then cut it out (adding a cutout line would be helpful if possible).

If anyone can make any other sugguestions that may make this graphic better, would be glad to hear them.

Thanks,
Kevin

Dan Hintz
09-09-2009, 6:05 AM
The tablet's shadow can be removed in 2 minutes with some zoom work and a paintbrush. The cracks should be replaced with a solid color (say 80-90%), starting wide near the edge of the tablet and shrinking down to a point. The right tablet's edge shoul be more of a medium gray (say 50-60%). Pleace a hairline around the combined outline of the two tablets. If you can find an appropriate font, I would also rebuild the text.

Essentially, I would rebuild the thing from scratch using the original as a template only.

Darren Null
09-09-2009, 8:07 AM
-removed the shadow between the stones
-redid cracks

-didn't reduce thickness of the right-hand one...it would be difficult to do it properly and it wouldn't help the image, I think.

There's a thumbnail so you can see quickly, but the proper image is in the zip file saved as a .PNG with no background; so you should be able to add an outline automatically in Corel

Oh yeah- aren't you breaking #2 if you engrave it?

Frank Corker
09-09-2009, 8:19 AM
I've heard of these tablets, they are the ones that Charlton Heston brought down from the stormy mountain! A very simple search on Google images will reveal a multitude of free art pictures and give you a better choice of ideas for you.

Tom Bull
09-09-2009, 8:38 AM
I have been so guilty of trying to fix something that was easier done from scratch, like these stones, on Corel. Sometimes just getting pencil and paper and doing a sketch to scan and import to trace is the fastest way.

Dan Hintz
09-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Oh yeah- aren't you breaking #2 if you engrave it?
Not unless he starts worshiping the image of the tablets...

Darren Null
09-09-2009, 10:13 AM
"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven images"
...doesn't say anything about worshipping there. I recommend a good defence lawyer and an industrial-quality lightning conductor before burning. Also, a sturdy hat.

Dan Hintz
09-09-2009, 11:08 AM
"Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven images"

Main Entry: graven image
Function: noun
Etymology: graven, past participle of 1grave
Date: 14th century

: an object of worship carved usually from wood or stone

Darren Null
09-09-2009, 11:21 AM
Adj. 1. graven - cut into a desired shape; "graven images"; "sculptured representations"
sculpted, sculptured
carved, carven - made for or formed by carving (`carven' is archaic or literary); "the carved fretwork"; "an intricately carved door"; "stood as if carven from stone"
2. graven - cut or impressed into a surface; "an incised design"; "engraved invitations"
engraved, etched, inscribed, incised
carved, carven - made for or formed by carving (`carven' is archaic or literary); "the carved fretwork"; "an intricately carved door"; "stood as if carven from stone"

Seems to me, the commandment as written above commands you not to make a graven image. "Make unto thee" if you want to be accurate. So you're not allowed to make them for yourself, I think that means. So you're allowed to make graven images for others and also get someone else to make one if you fancy a personal one. But not to make one for yourself. What you do with it afterwards isn't mentioned: worshipping, paperweight, doorstop...dealer's choice.

EDIT: I think I've been reading too many complicated legal documents of late. Rule #2 has got holes you can drive a bus through. Mind you, if your refutation is smiting the evildoer and vaporising the surrounding half mile, I suppose you can afford to be a little slack with the wording.

Dave Johnson29
09-09-2009, 12:36 PM
Also, a sturdy hat.

Darren,

Would a aluminum foil beanie be OK? :D

Darren Null
09-09-2009, 1:01 PM
Would a aluminum foil beanie be OK?
I'm not sure if an AFB would be enough (http://zapatopi.net/afdb/). We are, after all, trying to ward off omnipotence. I'd suggest something like this as a safe minimum:

Dan Hintz
09-09-2009, 1:26 PM
Seems to me, the commandment as written above commands you not to make a graven image. "Make unto thee" if you want to be accurate. So you're not allowed to make them for yourself, I think that means. So you're allowed to make graven images for others and also get someone else to make one if you fancy a personal one. But not to make one for yourself. What you do with it afterwards isn't mentioned: worshipping, paperweight, doorstop...dealer's choice.
I think the issue here is the word "graven" itself given the context (though I'm certainly not a religious scholar). While your given definitions are certainly correct, I do not believe they are the appropriate definitions for this context. In this case, "graven" pertains to idolatry, as in "do not create an item that you intend to worship unless it is specifically worshipping Me".

Woh, major sidetrack, eh? :D Reminds me of the religious "discussions" I would have with a former girlfriend... brings back some memories :p anyway, back to our scheduled program...

John Schulz
09-09-2009, 1:35 PM
Darren,

Would a aluminum foil beanie be OK? :D

Only if you don't want the aliens reading your thoughts...:cool:

Darren Null
09-09-2009, 2:01 PM
The text has been badly paraphrased for the OP's image, I think:

4 You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

5 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me,

6 but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.
Exodus 20:2–17

8 You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

9 You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and fourth generation of those who reject me,
Deuteronomy 5:6–21

17 You shall not make cast idols.
Exodus 34:11–27

The originals are specific in that they are against making an idol. Taking the above as literal, a lawyer would say that you can't make idols for yourself and you can't make a cast idol under any circumstances. Dunno where all this graven image biz came from. Graven was just the process of creating the artwork: those processes including (depending upon who you listen to) engraving; etching; pressing; chiseling; carving etc. "Do not make graven images" isn't what the original was about and in fact it -without a citation to a higher authority- bans making any images at all, regardless of purpose. Probably the same sort of humourless ****stick that today gives us Disney and the DMCA.

Dan Hintz
09-09-2009, 3:05 PM
I acquiesce to your scholarly research... :o

And this is why I gave up religion :D

Kevin Baker
09-09-2009, 5:26 PM
Darren -

Thanks for your help... it still amazes me how quickly and completely folks on here can get things done... Can't wait til I have more time to mess around with Corel and give back all I have been given.. Rule #2.. just to be on the safe side, I'll let the wife press the start button..

:)

Darren Null
09-09-2009, 6:24 PM
Scholarly research = 10 mins in google. I was obviously feeling contentious today. Apologies.

Kevin. You're welcome.

Frank Corker
09-09-2009, 6:31 PM
Do you have the website for Charlton Heston fans?

Darren Null
09-09-2009, 6:47 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0049833/maindetails
http://charltonhestonworld.homestead.com/TenCommandments1.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXyEcMG5bDs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYK3it70uCE

Bill Cunningham
09-10-2009, 8:41 PM
Ahhh from the old saying: "Take two tablets, and call me in the morning" ?