PDA

View Full Version : Miter Calculator

Jim Finn
09-08-2009, 9:45 PM
Any one know how to make this calculator work? I have tried and cannot make it work for me. I cut the wood and the pieices do not fit each other properly, Not even close. I know I am doing something wrong but cannot figure out what: Woodworkers Guild of Georgia, Miter Calculator (http://www.woodworkersguildofga.org/ShopHelpers/MiterCalculator.htm)

Joe Scharle
09-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Doesn't seem to function. However, google compound cutting calculators; you'll find a few.

Matt Wolboldt
09-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Jim, What are you trying to calculate? I did an test with 4 sides and square sides and it was correct.

Tom Veatch
09-08-2009, 10:49 PM
Jim, I ran some numbers on configurations which I already know the correct answers and the only thing I noticed was a difference in the way the miter gauge angle is reported. The legend says "right or left off 90", but it actually returns the complement of the index angle on my gauge. My gauge reads "0" for a square (90° cut) so when that calculator says 60, I have to set my gauge at 30. It's fairly obvious in most cases, but if the miter cut is within a few degrees one way or the other of 45° it could lead to cutting at the wrong angle. The tilt angle seems to be right, 0 is a square cut 90° to the surface.

David Dockstader
09-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Tom is right. If you compare the results of the calculator to the PDF file that they send you to at the top of the page, you'll find that the calculator gives you the right blade tilt angle, but the complement of the angle you should set your miter gauge to. Just subtract the miter angle from 90 and you'll be correct.

Jim Finn
09-09-2009, 9:56 AM
Thanks for your input guys. I need to try it again.

Jim Finn
09-09-2009, 10:22 AM
It dawned on me what I was doing wrong. .....I was cutting the miter angle on only one side of the tapered piece! The angle is supposed to be from a "square" base of the triangle and I was not measuring the second cut from that. I just now doubbled the mitre angle complement and it came out right. Thanks again for your help guys.