PDA

View Full Version : Saw blade used as an anvil?

Jeff Skory
09-08-2009, 8:22 PM
I've cleaned up two saws out of the batch that I bought. A Disston D-23 (1940's) and a backsaw that only has "Warranted Superior" on the medallion but no other markings, so it's hard to tell how old it is.

I really like the handle on the backsaw. Seems like a nice hard wood and the grip portion is still very smooth.

Here's the puzzle that I thought maybe some of you could help me figure out. The blade on the backsaw has a whole lot of vertical dents in it as if someone had been hitting it with a wide screwdriver or chisel. All of the marks are vertical and the majority of them are on the left side of the blade.

Here are some pics:

dan grant
09-08-2009, 8:45 PM
that ones pooched

Wayne Sparkman
09-08-2009, 8:48 PM
Those marks might have been put there long ago by some daddy's "little helper".

Mitch Barker
09-08-2009, 8:55 PM
Maybe they were trying to put a smooth bend in the metal so they could use it to cut curves?

Richard Dooling
09-08-2009, 9:01 PM
I am NO saw expert but that looks like the handle may be the best of that deal!

Martin Peek
09-08-2009, 9:52 PM
Looks like marks from straightening nails. They used to be expensive.

Jeff Skory
09-08-2009, 9:53 PM
Maybe they were trying to put a smooth bend in the metal so they could use it to cut curves?

the blade is actually quite straight. Quite heavy as well.

george wilson
09-08-2009, 10:35 PM
Maybe some artless idiot trying to straighten the blade?

jon hamer
09-08-2009, 10:40 PM
I also think they look like the grooves from straightening nails. But it's hard for me to imagine a time when nails were expensive - and saws were not...

george wilson
09-09-2009, 11:45 AM
I doubt that nails would make those sharp dents. Sawblades aren't that soft. I still think a cross pein hammer might have been used to straighten it. I also think the blade would have been resting on a hard surface like an anvil to have had those marks put in it like that. Wonder what the OTHER side of the blade looks like? That would give the answer.

Jeff Skory
09-09-2009, 12:12 PM
Wonder what the OTHER side of the blade looks like? That would give the answer.

I'll take a picture of it tonight and post it.

Joel Goodman
09-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Those marks might have been put there long ago by some daddy's "little helper".

This sounds like something I might have done as a tot!

phil harold
09-09-2009, 2:59 PM
the blade is actually quite straight.

well thats all that matters
if it is straight and the dings dont interfere with sawing, who cares

Steve Clardy
09-09-2009, 3:10 PM
Possibly it was bent at one time, and hammered back straight like they do with the big sawmill circular saws.

george wilson
09-09-2009, 5:17 PM
That's what I am suggesting,Steve. However,it is NOT necessary to hammer on a backsaw blade unless it is kinked. You can easily straighten it by torquing the back. I have gotten bargains on badly bent back saws because the flea dealers thought they were ruined.

Jeff Skory
09-09-2009, 7:10 PM
Well, here are two more pictures - left side and right side for easy comparison. They definitely did most of the hammering on one side. The marks on the right side are not coming through from the other side - they are indentations. There are also a couple of horizontal cracks (completely closed) that go through to both sides of the saw.

well thats all that matters
if it is straight and the dings dont interfere with sawing, who cares
Phil, you're right. I don't think it will matter, other than the fact that the saw is completely dull at the moment. I was just curious as to why there would be all of these vertical hammer marks.

Sounds like the attempt to straighten theory is the likely candidate.

Jeff Skory
09-09-2009, 7:10 PM
btw - I only paid $3.00 for the saw. :D

george wilson
09-09-2009, 9:51 PM
It looks like the hammering was not done on a real hard surface,or they wouldn't bulge on the backsides. Maybe the guy didn't have anything decent to beat on? Since most of the marks are pretty parallel,I still think they were not a random act of nail straightening. they also tried to beat the back down tighter,but in the worst,most inappropriate way. Overall,I still think it was a very bad,uneducated,unskilled,and careless attempt to straighten the saw,by someone who hain't gotten no book larnin'.:)