PDA

View Full Version : Splitting names in Corel x3

Stanley Waldrup
09-08-2009, 7:03 PM
Hello All, What is the best way to take a name and split it in half so the top will Vector and the bottom Half will Raster. I have seen Picture Frame inserts like this. I can not find the thread on it. Thanks Stanley

Dee Gallo
09-08-2009, 8:06 PM
I made this sample using your name. What I did was type the name, then clicked on Effects, Create Boundary. Draw a rectangle to show where the picture frame hole will be, overlapping the name.

Using the shape tool, double-click on the lines where the name intersects with the rectangle to create new nodes. Then double-click on each of the nodes you don't want below the line. They should go away and leave you with only the top of the name. Your original name should still be there.

Then select both the rectangle and the name you cut up. Go to Arrange, Shaping, Front minus back. You should now have the frame you want. Make the hairlines red to make sure it is doing what you want.

In the case of your name, I had to manually add an extra cut line in the center of the "A".

Alternately, you could just trace the top of the name and extend the outside edges to create the rectangle.

cheers, dee

Margaret Turco
09-08-2009, 9:00 PM
I was wondering about this, too. Thanks Dee, you give excellent instructions!

Tom Bull
09-09-2009, 8:52 AM
You can change a font color from black (with the hairline size turned on) and it will put a hairline all around the letters inside and out so you can cut them out. That way you don't have to add the middle parts manually.

Gary Hair
09-09-2009, 12:44 PM
Dee gave some great instructions but I have a much shorter process that gives the same result. Type the name, draw the rectangle - just like Dee - now use smart fill to fill in the area in the box and the portions of the letter inside the box. Smart fill will only fill in the areas that are contiguous, just a couple of clicks and you are done.

Gary

Dee Gallo
09-09-2009, 1:05 PM
Good one, Gary! As with all programs, there are many ways to do the same thing. We all need to experiment with all of the tools... I for one never think to use smartfill, but I'll play with it now, for sure! Old dogs learning new tricks, great!

cheers, dee

Dave Johnson29
09-09-2009, 2:19 PM
I made this sample using your name.

Alright Dee, I am getting sick of this. Is there anything you cannot do? Geeze, Corel, freehand artwork, Mahjong, ivory the list just goes on and on.

I may have to slash my wrists as an inferior human object.

I tried to recreate your little bird artwork and almost two days later I had what looked like a curled snake with lots of holes. <sigh>

You ARE awesome lady! :D

Dee Gallo
09-09-2009, 2:54 PM
Alright Dee, I am getting sick of this. Is there anything you cannot do? Geeze, Corel, freehand artwork, Mahjong, ivory the list just goes on and on.

I may have to slash my wrists as an inferior human object.

I tried to recreate your little bird artwork and almost two days later I had what looked like a curled snake with lots of holes. <sigh>

You ARE awesome lady! :D

>blushing< aw gee thanks, Dave! I can't play football, if that helps.:D

Stanley Waldrup
09-13-2009, 3:42 PM
Thanks for the tips. Thats the reason I love this place!!!