PDA

View Full Version : Walnut cabinet

Dave Anthony
09-08-2009, 5:11 PM
We recently decided to give the patio an upgrade. It had an aluminum patio cover that didn't leak, a concrete foundation, and not much else. We began by insulating the existing cover and added bamboo sheeting. A little walnut trim picked up the motif from the room leading out to the patio, and speaker shelves were added. Some slate improved the look of the concrete, but one eyesore remained, which was resolved with this cabinet. Dimensions are 91" x 41" x 14", design was determined mostly by the odd configuration needed to accomodate the electrical box and the fibre cable box. Finish is waterlox satin. I think I may have gone a bit overboard for something that sits outside, but have justified it in my mind because:
1. It's not going to get wet, & N. CA weather is pretty mild.
2. It was a lot cheaper than moving the electrical box.
3. Making it was fun.
Thanks for looking.
Dave

Rick Mellin
09-08-2009, 7:44 PM
Beautiful job, where did you pick-up that nice looking walnut?

John Thompson
09-09-2009, 9:57 AM
Very nice and who would have known what was behind the walnut door. You should hang a sign in there that says "Surprise" if anyone opens it out of curiousity. :)

Well done and I personally think justified.

Todd Young
09-09-2009, 8:27 PM
Hey Dave, that sure is some nice looking walnut like Rick said.

I think you're justified and I like your reasoning. You're right, it probably was cheaper than moving the elec box, but most of all, it was fun to build.

I agree with John, surprise sounds fitting. Didn't expect to see the electrical box inside that sweet looking cabinet.

Nice looking cabinet. Nice work.

T

John Keeton
09-10-2009, 5:59 AM
Exceptional!! Only problem I see is that when the guy comes to read the meter, he is going to be totally confused:D

I think that was some great use of the walnut, and it really adds to the appearance of that space. Guests will certainly appreciate it, and the added bonus of speakers is nice.