PDA

View Full Version : Beadboard panel

Ken Cohen
09-08-2009, 4:37 PM
I need help again for what was supposed to be a simple project -- making 4-6 MDF shaker doors with beadboard inset to match current kitchen cabinets.

Turns out the hard part is the MDF beadboard panel -- stock panels don't come close to matching my current doors (bead radius: 1/16 vs. 1/8 stock, spacing: 1 1/2 inch vs. 1 5/8 stock, etc. -- I'm suddenly a bead expert).

The only technique I can think of to mill solid MDF beadboard (2x3' for doors) is to buy a molding head cutter for the table saw. Of course, my required bead cutter pattern is not even close to stock, thus I would need to add a custom cutter set.

Two things:

1. It feels like I'm missing some obvious technique to make the beadboard panel -- I hope someone will point out my lack of insight.

2. I can buy a Magic Molder with a custom knife (expensive) -- but am concerned about safe technique without a power feeder on a 2'x3' panel.

BTW, I checked with a large beadboard manufacturer that is HQ'd here in NE -- and they will cut custom panels with 1 1/2" spacing for a modest upcharge -- but only with stock bead patterns -- and their smallest bead is 1/8". Ugh.

As always, thanks to all for the help.

Ken

Jamie Buxton
09-08-2009, 4:54 PM
Beadboard used to be made from individual boards, each machined with that bead detail. Beadboard panels came along later. You could go back to the early way of doing things. You'd only need the right beading bit for your router -- or a beader cutter for a handplane if you're of the Neader persuasion.

David DeCristoforo
09-08-2009, 4:59 PM
You can use "point cutting" bits in a router with a giude to form beads of various sives in flat panels. Examples:

http://www.woodzone.com/hardware/Point-Cutting-Bits.htm

http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/vp13-2307/pc_-_roundover

J.R. Rutter
09-08-2009, 5:34 PM
2. I can buy a Magic Molder with a custom knife (expensive) -- but am concerned about safe technique without a power feeder on a 2'x3' panel.

Expensive, yes, but no worries on safety - we run beadboard using MM and TS with no feeder all the time. Make a zero clearance insert, park part of the fence over it (where the cutter isn't!) and raise the cutter into it.

Peter Quinn
09-08-2009, 8:29 PM
We make some beaded panels by ripping strips, beading an edge, forming a tongue and groove that is snug enough to be a glue joint, and gluing it back up. Might be easier and cheaper for a short run than a molding head, probably not on a larger run.