PDA

View Full Version : Which Band Saw Blades?

Greg Johnson
09-08-2009, 11:07 AM
I just picked up a Grizzly G0513X2 a couple weeks ago (15% MS Cashback and Free Shipping.... mini gloat :) ) and finally got the time to get it set up. I got the HTC2000 mobile base and it is fantastic. I have the Shop Fox on my Grizzly 1023SL and it is horrible. It's like there are no wheels on it and ya just drag the 400+lb saw around the shop...:( What a difference this mobile base makes!

Anyway, I am getting ready to place an order with Suffolk Machinery for some Timberwolf blades. They have the buy 3 get one free deal right now. This is my first band saw and it has actually been years since I really used one. There are a lot of choices. I am planning on doing some fine detail work, a lot of general purpose work and some resawing. What combination of 4 blades would you recommend?

Thanks,
Greg

Stephen Edwards
09-08-2009, 11:20 AM
I just picked up a Grizzly G0513X2 a couple weeks ago (15% MS Cashback and Free Shipping.... mini gloat :) ) and finally got the time to get it set up. I got the HTC2000 mobile base and it is fantastic. I have the Shop Fox on my Grizzly 1023SL and it is horrible. What a difference!

Anyway, I am getting ready to place an order with Suffolk Machinery for some Timberwolf blades. They have the buy 3 get one free deal right now. This is my first band saw and it has actually been years since I really used one. There are a lot of choices. I am planning on doing some fine detail work, a lot of general purpose work and some resawing. What combination of 4 blades would you recommend?

Thanks,
Greg

I'd suggest that you call Suffolk Machinery and tell them exactly what you've posted here in regards to your intended uses for your new BS. In my experience, they are very knowledgeable and won't try to sell you something that you don't need.

Congrats on your new saw!

Rod Sheridan
09-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Hi, I agree with Stephen, although I haven't used Suffolk Machinery they have a good reputation.

I also purchase bandsaw blades from a supplier that cuts and welds them to the length I require.

Like Suffolk they have a wide selection of width/pitch/tooth configurations that aren't available with "off the shelf" blades.

You get better blades for less money than buying them from a retail store, and you get blades that are optimized for your use.

Regards, Rod.

Greg Johnson
09-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks Stepen and Rod. I just called them and placed an order. They were "reasonably" helpful. She kept wanting me to be very specific as to my needs and the reality is I have a current project I am working on, but when that is done, they are all unknown future projects. I just kept asking for help in selecting a good variety of blades. She talked me into:

1/8 x 14
3/8 x 8
1/2 x 4
1 x 2

This seems like a good variety. Unfortunately, they won't ship for 2 days and then they will be going by ground across the country. I guess I'll just have to be patient..... Dang I hate having to be patient.....:o

Thanks,
Greg

glenn bradley
09-08-2009, 1:37 PM
The reason they ask specific questions is that 'general purpose' blades do OK on everything but not well on anything. Sounds like you have a wide selection on the way that should take care of you. I run their 3/4" x 2-3 for resaw, 1/4" x 6 and a 1/4" x 10 (the 10TPI doesn't get used much). I've been through a couple of the 3/4" blades but the 1/4" are still going strong as I have a smaller BS for curvy stuff and use the resaw blade at least 20 to 1 compared to the 1/4" on the G0513X. The 2HP and 1/4" x 6 come in handy for thick curvy stuff, that's for sure.