PDA

View Full Version : Plywood source??

Randy Digby
09-08-2009, 9:12 AM
Looking for sources for 1/4" craft plywood that laser cuts well. I've completed my proto-type work with plywood from Michaels, but will be ordering more than they normally stock and looking for a better price. would prefer someone that carries 12" x 24" pieces. I will need the light finish..Baltic..I think..guess..maybe.

I really don't want to purchase a batch and discover it has the wrong glue for laser cutting.

Thanks

Gary and Jessica Houghton
09-08-2009, 9:48 AM
We love 1/4" MDF. But if you want plywood, then I recommend 1/4" Baltic Birch. You have to find a wood supplier near you. The wood suppliers sell in big sheets though, 4' X 8' for the MDF and about the same for birch, so unless you have a truck and a saw at home, this may be difficult. I would also suggest some wood from Woodcraft. This will be more expensive because it is mostly solid wood, but worth the money. There are some on the creek who also sell the wood. Go to the "Lumberyard" in the creek and you might find the supplier name. Good luck, and happy hunting.

James Rambo
09-08-2009, 10:32 AM
fellow SMCreeker Michael Kowalcyk has it I think.

David Fairfield
09-08-2009, 10:58 AM
I get it from Home Depot. They have a saw in the store that cuts a 4x8' sheet into 12"x24" sheets I can fit in my laser at a surcharge of 25 cents a cut.

I don't know where HD gets it, or if there is more than one variety, but so far I've not had any problems. Its cheap enough to risk buying a sheet. Call ahead to make sure the saw is working and the saw dude is there. Its often out of order at my local HD (typical).

Dave

Dan Hintz
09-08-2009, 11:25 AM
Wow, they charge you per cut? Our HD cuts for free... as long as you're buying the wood, they'll chop it. They'll add a surcharge if you're buying less than a full piece (of whatever), but it's not often I buy less than a full 2x4. The scrap pile often holds some decent plywood chunks, too, usually quarter sheet size (though it's nothing I would put on the laser).

Gary and Jessica Houghton
09-08-2009, 11:54 AM
I get it from Home Depot. They have a saw in the store that cuts a 4x8' sheet into 12"x24" sheets I can fit in my laser at a surcharge of 25 cents a cut.

So, my husband sent me to HD to get 1/8" p-lywood. "Any type,as long as it's 1/8," he said. I found some, had it cut (for free I might add) and was so proud. I get it back to the store and he tells me that's worthless wood. We can't make anything out of veneered hardboard. I made a 12" Aztec calendar from it. Turned out beautiful!!!! - Be specific as to what you want or you'll get something that you don't!

Peter Meacham
09-08-2009, 12:04 PM
I have purchased some from creeker Michael Kowalcyk on more than one occasion and have been very satisfied with service and product. Three mm 12" x 24" sheets.

George Brown
09-08-2009, 2:32 PM

I don't know where HD gets it, or if there is more than one variety, but so far I've not had any problems. Its cheap enough to risk buying a sheet. Call ahead to make sure the saw is working and the saw dude is there. Its often out of order at my local HD (typical).

Dave

My HD knows nothing about it. Do you have a stock # by any chance so they can look it up? Needless to say HD is not on my list of favorites.

Dave Russell Smith
09-08-2009, 2:45 PM
I get mine from Lowes, but beware its metric :eek: size so its not exactly 1/4

Randy Digby
09-09-2009, 1:29 PM
Thanks for all the good replies. I'm in HD and Lowes often but never thought about looking to see if they carry 1/4" ply. I guess I was assuming that their's would not laser cut very well but it looks like I am wrong, yet once again!

Gary Shoemake
09-09-2009, 9:06 PM
I use Memphis Hardwood Lumber Paul SHoemaker is a member. I found his 1/8 and 1/4 very good with little or no footballs. He will cut to size. His standard is 12x30 for 2.50 Check out memphishardwoodlumber.com

Randy Digby
09-09-2009, 9:41 PM
Thanks Gary...Very good prices there.

Jerry Hewett
09-09-2009, 11:11 PM
Randy,

Atlanta Wood Products Center (http://www.hardwoodweb.com/)
5400 Riverview Rd SE
Mableton, GA 30126-2997
(404) 214-4745
You can get Baltic Birch plywood in 5 ft x 5 ft sheets. They are located just outside I-285 off of So Cobb Drive in Smyrna/Mableton.
They are great folks to work with and have a fantastic inventory.

Randy Digby
09-10-2009, 9:49 AM
Thanks Jerry. They are a little under an hour from us...not a bad drive.

Michael Kowalczyk
09-10-2009, 3:46 PM
fellow SMCreeker Michael Kowalcyk has it I think.
Thanks James, Pete and all the other Creeker's that use our 3mm. I have sent Randy a PM.
James did you spell my name by memory? If yes not bad. Only missing a "z" and spell check won't catch it unless you add it.:D

If anyone else needs some just PM me.

Thanks and ...