PDA

View Full Version : Birdhouse Question

Billy Tallant
09-08-2009, 2:18 AM
Been looking at the different birdhouse designs for ornaments. Never turned one, but thinking about giving it a try soon. Are the birdhouses hollow form or solid? Some of the pictures I've seen they look to be hollow. Other pictures they look solid. Maybe a dumb question....but got to ask...:)

Chris Rae
09-08-2009, 2:27 AM
I hollow mine. I use a forstner bit to do most of it, then touch it up. It makes them a lot lighter in weight so they don't pull the branches down. I hollow the tops a little too.

Skip Spaulding
09-08-2009, 7:53 AM
Same as Chris, I find it easier to drill stock while still square and mount the piece on my small extended jaws using the hole drilled in the stock.

Burt Alcantara
09-08-2009, 8:26 AM
I find the perch opening to be a bit too thick so after drilling and shaping, I hollow it further with a 1/2" scraper. I do this for cosmetic reasons only.

BTW, it is better to drill the perch opening before the body hollowing so you avoid tear out.

If none of this is clear, it will become apparent when you make your first birdhouse.

Steve Schlumpf
09-08-2009, 8:58 AM
Guess I do things just a little different - I hollow mine out on the lathe - no drilling except for the perch hole and that is after everything is completed.

Steve Mawson
09-08-2009, 9:28 AM
I do mine like Skip then mount on the chuck with the drilled hole. Sometime I laminate some thinner pieces for the top. Rarely do any hollowing on the top. Find that weight is not a problem.

Mark Hix
09-08-2009, 9:34 AM
I drill all the perch hole and door hole first then drill the cavity. I like having the flat surface when I drill. I don't hollow the tops.

Bernie Weishapl
09-08-2009, 1:50 PM
Billy I have did it both ways with a forstner bit but now hollow them on the lathe. I can hollow it faster than I can get a drill bit set up. I drill the perch hole and opening after it is hollowed and the outside is completed.

Jim Underwood
09-08-2009, 2:03 PM
I hollow mine with a forstner bit too. Might be faster with a good spindle gouge as a drill though. The reason for being hollow is so that the ornament is light and doesn't drag your tree limbs down.... And I also drill the perch and entry hole before I finish turning to help prevent drilling tearout from showing.

If you like I'll post a link to my tutorial with copious pictures and words on how I make mini birdhouses.

John Terefenko
09-08-2009, 2:09 PM
I also hollow mine both bottom and top. I drill with forstner bit and then use a scraper to further take the weight out. I drill both entry hole and perch hole before hollowing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/CopyofIMGP0139.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/JTTHECLOCKMAN/IMGP0486.jpg

Jeff Nicol
09-08-2009, 8:35 PM
Billy, Mine are all different shapes, sizes, textures, with and without bark that drilling is not what I do either. Like Steve and Bernie I turn them all on the lathe hollowed to about 3/16 to 1/8 thick. I don't do anything to the inside of the top as you can't see it anyway. So no method is wrong just one will work better for you so try everything!

Jeff

Billy Tallant
09-09-2009, 7:51 PM
Thanks everyone for the words of advice. I started turning pens last November & have not tried anything else yet. Birdhouses look like a neat project to attempt.

Jim I would definately like to see your tutorial link.

Thanks again...

Leo Van Der Loo
09-10-2009, 4:47 AM
Been looking at the different birdhouse designs for ornaments. Never turned one, but thinking about giving it a try soon. Are the birdhouses hollow form or solid? Some of the pictures I've seen they look to be hollow. Other pictures they look solid. Maybe a dumb question....but got to ask...:)

Billy I always make them hollow and try to get them as light as I can.
I do turn them on the lathe, but use a drill to open the center of the wood up, makes it much easier to hollow it more after that.
I also remove some of the wood from the roof part, and drill a small hole before glueing the pieces together, I have a bundle of stainless steel wire that I use to make the eyelets from, stick the wire with the eyelet in the hole, cut it and bend the end, the eyelet can turn this way, and so the birdhouse can face anyway you like.

Jim Underwood
09-10-2009, 4:20 PM
Billy, here's the linky:

http://www.classiccitywoodturners.com/Birdhouse%20and%20Eyelets.pdf

John Daugherty
09-10-2009, 5:19 PM
Not to hijack, but where do you get your mini birds to go on the house?

Jim Underwood
09-10-2009, 5:24 PM
I've found the birds at the following places:
Craft Supplies USA
Michael's Craft Store
Hobby Lobby
Walmart (sometimes)

Tim Boger
09-10-2009, 8:06 PM
Billy, here's the linky:

http://www.classiccitywoodturners.com/Birdhouse%20and%20Eyelets.pdf

Hey Jim,

I just read through you "How To" pdf and really enjoyed it, I'm looking forward to trying out my new inspiration.

Thanks for sharing this,

Tim

John Daugherty
09-10-2009, 10:48 PM
I've found the birds at the following places:
Craft Supplies USA
Michael's Craft Store
Hobby Lobby
Walmart (sometimes)

thanks jim

Mac Carlton
09-10-2009, 11:36 PM
If you are truly making it to hang on a chrismas tree ,hollow it out the more you take off ( even the top and bottom) the better for hanging on a little limb of a christmas tree .It also amazes people that it is so light, I think that .that in itself is a good selling point.

Billy Tallant
09-13-2009, 4:01 AM
Thanks to all for the wonderful advice.

Jim, thanks for the tutorial link.