PDA

View Full Version : Banksia pod duck call

Aaron Wingert
09-08-2009, 12:53 AM
I made this duck call this weekend. When I started I honestly didn't think it would hold together long enough to get finished up but I pulled it off. Lots and lots of thin CA glue to run all the cracks and voids, then varying consistencies of CA mixed in with folgers coffee grounds to fill the seed holes. Quite a bit of work!!!

The thing is so full of CA I opted to just buff it on the Beall and wax it. The band needs a bit of work. It is laquered, and I had a bit of a run that got worse when I tried to wipe it off. So I need to sand it down and shoot it again.

I surely can't say for certain, but I might be the first person to do this. I've never seen a duck call made from a banksia pod before. It is so stupid I'm probably the only person dumb enough to try it. :rolleyes:

Billy Tallant
09-08-2009, 2:01 AM
Duck call looks good. It does look like a lot of hard luck. I've been wanting to try a pen out of this, but haven't got around to it yet.

Chris Rae
09-08-2009, 2:06 AM
It looks really neat, but also looks like a lot of work. Good job on it!

Greg Just
09-08-2009, 6:45 AM
Looks good Aaron - where did you get your duck call kit?

Steve Schlumpf
09-08-2009, 9:06 AM
Yup - this is a first for me! When read the title I envisioned someone holding the Banksia pod with their fingers in all sorts of holes just to get it to work! LOL Glad to see you filled the holes! Sure makes for a pretty cool call!

Aaron Wingert
09-08-2009, 9:35 AM
Looks good Aaron - where did you get your duck call kit?

Hut products has good ones for just starting out. So does THO game calls. I use Echo inserts and tweak and tune them.

You cannot make a duck call without a mandrel of some sort...Preferrably a blind mandrel with a pin-lock or expanding feature. Some guys use pen mandrels and bushings but I've found that to be less than ideal due to the small diameter.

Mark Hix
09-08-2009, 9:37 AM
I like the way it looks. Send it to me, I will try it out for you.

Aaron Wingert
09-08-2009, 9:38 AM
I've been wanting to try a pen out of this, but haven't got around to it yet.

You could do a pen from it but the center portion lacks the feature of the outer portion. I drilled my call with a 5/8" bit down the middle and it is pretty solid on the inside with no holes. The grain structure of the "wood" is cool even if you don't have the seed holes though.

Bernie Weishapl
09-08-2009, 1:46 PM
Looks good Aaron. Really well done.

Curt Fuller
09-08-2009, 6:18 PM
That's gotta be one of the coolest duck calls I've seen.