PDA

View Full Version : Built up roof removal tip?

Stephen Tashiro
09-07-2009, 10:33 PM
Another thread confirms that many forum members can remove wallpaper. So, how many know how to remove a built up roof. I'm removing a flat roof that previous worker made by applying layers of tar paper with tar between then. It was topped off with gravel.

I'm removing it by scraping it off with a roofers shovel and an adhesive scraper, like one uses for floor tile. It is hard to remove because the first layer of tar paper was attached to the plywood sheathing with tar or "roofing cement" instead of merely being nailed. This is a roof on a small storage building, so I think I can get it scraped. But I'm curious how a professional roofing crew would remove such a roof? Torches? (Too dangerous for my taste.) Or would they insist of removing the sheathing along with the roof?

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-08-2009, 9:14 AM
I did flat roofs in New Mexico. It was a beastly hard job in the heat and sun.

I'd help scrape the gravel off the roof and shovel that into a truck.
Then if the whole thing was coming off we'd use a whole range of mismatched tools including ( but not limited to) axes, hatchets, machetes, saws, shovels, long handled scraper thingies, concrete mixing hoes and plain old fashioned brute strength to pull up all the old stuff and toss that into a waiting truck.

It's a hell of a hard job.

Stephen Tashiro
09-08-2009, 2:39 PM
I'm glad to hear that since I just happen to have a whole collection of mismatched tools! (many of which I don't mind leaving on the roof). I've never been able to do a darned thing with a machete, however. Can't even cut weeds with one.

David G Baker
09-08-2009, 3:39 PM
There are things in life that I have found may be best if left to the professionals. Roofing and concrete work are two of the highest on my list. The labor can be intense and the consequences for someone not in good physical shape and health may be severe.

curtis rosche
09-08-2009, 3:40 PM
we had to do that to my cabin. 50 yrs worth of patch work. in places about 4 inches thick. what i had was nailed down, so we pulled the nial up a little either with a hammer or got under it with a shovel. then grab a corner and pull.