PDA

View Full Version : Need Source for Shims for PM 66 Table Saw Alignment

Herb Berger
09-07-2009, 8:28 PM
I am restoring an old PM 66 Table Saw. After much work I am in the process of re-assembly. I am now mounting the cast iorn table extensions. It is very evident I will need shims to level the tables. (The extensions sag or drop away from the main table when bolted fast to the main table.) I do not know where to purchase shims and frankly I am not sure what to ask for. Any direction anyone could give me would be deeply appreciated.
Thanks
Treadcutter

Cary Falk
09-07-2009, 8:41 PM
I cut up a Aluminum pob/beer can. Quick and cheep.

Steve Clardy
09-07-2009, 9:00 PM
I cut up a Aluminum pob/beer can. Quick and cheep.

Yep. Works well.

Auto parts store's carry shim stock.

Richard Wolf
09-07-2009, 9:20 PM
I think Powermatic used wheel alignment shims.

Richard

mickey cassiba
09-07-2009, 9:28 PM
Feeler gauge sets are very inexpensive and easily cut...with the added advantage of knowing just how much you added. I've used them on industrials as well as home workshop tools.

Herb Berger
09-07-2009, 9:55 PM
Thanks for the help. Beer cans I have!!!!

Brent Smith
09-08-2009, 7:06 AM
Hi Herb,

Just in case you need something other than a beer can thickness, Lee Valley sells a selection of shim stock.

Jason White
09-08-2009, 1:06 PM
Aluminum foil works great. Nice and thin. Need it thicker? Just fold it over.

Jason

I am restoring an old PM 66 Table Saw. After much work I am in the process of re-assembly. I am now mounting the cast iorn table extensions. It is very evident I will need shims to level the tables. (The extensions sag or drop away from the main table when bolted fast to the main table.) I do not know where to purchase shims and frankly I am not sure what to ask for. Any direction anyone could give me would be deeply appreciated.
Thanks
Treadcutter

glenn bradley
09-08-2009, 1:29 PM
I use foil HVAC tape. A little thinner than a beer can, a little thicker than foil. Best of all it stays put while you wrestle with the wing ;-)