PDA

View Full Version : Just a friendly Heads up Scammer

Trevor Watson
09-07-2009, 7:46 PM
LOL Never gets old does it !

Dear Owner,
My Name is Clinton Sample and i am contacting you because i want to make an order of Walnut Plaques from your company and below is the details of the Walnut Plaques i am in need of.

Size 8" x 10" I need the Artwork of the Plaques to be (God Is The Answer)
Quantities: 100 Pieces

Am looking for Walnut Plaque Board and am looking for a metal plate on the plaque board engraved with the words (God Is The Answer) and the metal plate should be solid black with gold letters. I will like you to workout the estimate price on this order plus sales tax excluding shipping.If you don't do this size or type of walnut plaques kindly email me with the sizes you have available.Advice the method of credit card payment you accept.So i will like you to Email me back with the estimate price on what i requested at your earliest Convenience.Counting on your prompt response.
Best Regard,
Thank You.
Clinton Sample
Administrator.
Continental Catholic Church Of God
Email : Clinton.sample@gmail.com (Clinton.sample@gmail.com)

Garrett Nors
09-07-2009, 11:00 PM
I wonder what kind of gains they could possibly get out of this type of scam? I can see doing the work and their card not going through or something, but then they just have 100 walnut plaques...what's the point?

Darren Null
09-08-2009, 12:46 AM
Get a bit on ebay, I suppose

sean m. titmas
09-08-2009, 12:52 AM
Get a deposit up front before you start work and make sure the funds post for at least 2 weeks before you start work. No deposit = no plaques. A scammer wont want to pay up front.

George Brown
09-08-2009, 2:06 AM
Get a deposit up front before you start work and make sure the funds post for at least 2 weeks before you start work. No deposit = no plaques. A scammer wont want to pay up front.

If you bite, it gets more complicated. DO NOT TRY. 2 weeks is NOT ENOUGH for a bogus check to come back, it can take many weeks, and the bank will collect on it from YOU.

They will offer to send you money up front, but the check they send will be for more than the value of goods you are going to supply. They will ask for you to send them the difference back from your account after their check clears. You will think that your're home free. By the time the banks realize the check is bogus (even if it is a certified check from another bank), you have already sent them your money. So the bank will want their money back from you and you're out the amount you sent them.

Like I said, DO NOT TRY, you will lose.

Dan Hintz
09-08-2009, 6:44 AM
Well, if you really want to see what happens, try it, there's no harm in it. Deposit their check, but don't send any money back or order any plaques.... just wait. In about a month you'll know. You may get the occasional email checking on the order, but always give them an excuse like the check hasn't arrived, your bank is slow, etc. After several weeks of this, tell them the check was finally received and you're ordering the plaques, but they take 6 weeks to come in. Amusingly, that will be okay with them, but they really need you to send the money back ASAP. I just love to waste their time, means they're not scamming someone else.

Brian Robison
09-08-2009, 10:40 AM
They didn't say they wanted to pay with a check. They want to use a credit card.

Dave Johnson29
09-08-2009, 10:48 AM
They didn't say they wanted to pay with a check. They want to use a credit card.

Exactly.

I do not see where the scam is coming in yet.

Figure out your best price and tell them to fax the order with their credit card details then run the card. If it comes back OK, you have the job. The card company is then carrying the can (all but 40 or 50 bucks) if it goes belly up.

So far it looks good to my simple mind.

Scott Shepherd
09-08-2009, 11:04 AM
then run the card. If it comes back OK, you have the job. The card company is then carrying the can (all but 40 or 50 bucks) if it goes belly up.

Not sure who you use to process credit cards, but my processor puts me on the hook for 6 months. I recently had to process a very large amount for a job that we spent 6 months working on. We ran the card, the phone rang later, telling us they would not approve the transaction because it was too large. It was more in one transaction than we used them for in the last 2 years total.

Went back to the customer and they refused to pay with anything other than a credit card, said it was in the contract and they were required by law to follow it, which meant no check if we said credit card on the contract.

Went back to the CC company and they said they refused to process it because at any time within 6 months of the transaction, they could receive a charge back. If so, they passed it directly to us and they doubted our ability to pay that much money back on a charge back.

So it was us on the hook, not the credit card company. Only way we get off the hook for that is by going under.

Dan Hintz
09-08-2009, 11:28 AM
Figure out your best price and tell them to fax the order with their credit card details then run the card. If it comes back OK, you have the job. The card company is then carrying the can (all but 40 or 50 bucks) if it goes belly up.
It's the (original) card holder that is only liable for up to $50 in the case of fraud. The vendor (you) is SOL.

Bob Savage
09-08-2009, 11:34 AM
I wouldn't waste my time on it.

Garrett Nors
09-08-2009, 11:41 AM
I just searched "Continental Catholic Church Of God" .....I'm sure it's a scam, the only thing that came up was a site that instantly tried infecting my computer with spyware/adware.....luckily I know how to combat those types of things :D

I'd email them back and ask them what their number is, where they're located, and where the church is located. I'm sure you won't get a response....but just in case it's coincidental you don't want to lose out on a large job like that.

Bob Savage
09-08-2009, 11:45 AM
This is almost certainly a Nigerian scam variant. Search google for "anatomy of nigerian scam" and you'll find a lot of information. I'd post the link, but, you know... :)

Bill Cunningham
09-08-2009, 8:00 PM
Its a Scam..It's a SCAM..It's a SCAM.. I have a collection of these things for everything from the wooden plaques above, name badges, metal plates, keytags, 80,000 copies of a 72 dpi .jpg saying "save the Children" , to emails just saying I want to buy a large quantity of your products, can you email me a list of what you sell (?????)
The common denominator is it's always a charity/church/reverend/whatever, and a freebee email address.. If you trace them back through spamcop, or some other backtracking site, you will see the usually come out of Ghana.. If your bored, play along with them.. It could get very entertaining :D But NEVER ever treat them as legitimate customers

Bob Savage
09-08-2009, 8:10 PM
to emails just saying I want to buy a large quantity of your products, can you email me a list of what you sell (?????)

LOL!!! Now that's rich (no pun intended).

Dave Johnson29
09-09-2009, 12:33 PM
It's the (original) card holder that is only liable for up to $50 in the case of fraud. The vendor (you) is SOL.

Sorry Dan, if you take credit cards and I have been doing it for 15 years, you need to re-read the contract. My liability for fraud is $40.00 once the card has been approved. Visa and MC carry the fraud risk on credit cards. Debit cards are an entirely different system and the vendor may in fact eat it unless they negotiated a deal with the card merchant. That's what smart people do. :)

Now a charge-back is something entirely different. That's where the customer is not happy with the goods and wants a refund. That must first be negotiated between the customer and vendor. If the customer still feels he is in the right and the vendor is wrong, then they write to MC or Visa and get them involved to mediate. If MC or Visa think the vendor is in the wrong, they pay the guy back and charge the vendor the amount and a fee.

Up until about 4 or so years back, MC and Visa would almost always side with the customer and the vendor would in fact "eat it." Due to the rising level of fraud, both MC and Visa rewrote their rules and now mediation on a chargeback is much more reasonable. To the point that the charge back fee goes to the customer in a large percentage of the cases. Well over 60% and about time I say. :) Although, I have never had a chargeback. :cool:

In Scott's case his card merchant is concerned there may be a chargeback for a refund on faulty work. The merchant has full withdraw and deposit control over Scott's bank account and will also know the average monthly balance. They are concerned that if a charge back was sucessful, there might not be enough in the account to withdraw. As Scott says, this is a pretty unusuall situation because of the big dollar number.

Scott Shepherd
09-09-2009, 12:57 PM
Dave, I'm still not sure I agree with that. You might have negotiated those terms, but on my processor, here's a blip from their website :

"According to the results of the 10th annual CyberSource Online Fraud Report, U.S. merchants lost an estimated $4 billion to fraud in 2008."

To me, if the merchant gets paid, then how are merchants losing $4B in fraud? If it were the banks, then it would have said "The banks lost $4B in fraud". This makes be believe it's my responsibility.

I don't know, but I'm going to put a call in as well and find out how my processor handles it.

Dan Hintz
09-09-2009, 1:09 PM
Dave,

Contrary to what the contract says (and I've been accepting for over 7 years now), the vendor is almost always the one who gets the shaft. When a card turns out to be stolen, do you honestly believe the credit card companies allow the vendor to keep the money from a stolen-card purchase? No, the CC companies yank the money back out of your account. Most of the time weeks or even months down the road, which means the vendor just sent out a bunch of product with nothing to show for it in return. You can explain your loss (at no fault of your own, since they approved the purchase) until you're blue in the face, but in the end they'll side with themselves and keep the money. I'm a member of an online forum/group that provides help/info to businesses that accept credit cards (thy keep a running list of scammer shipping addresses, breached credit card #s, breached credit card processors, etc.), and the only time I have ever read of a vendor getting money back is when a charge reversal could be shown (through emails, calls, etc.) to be false... and even that isn't always easy.

The short of it? Regardless of what the contract says, the CC companies will side with whomever allows them to keep their money, and that rarely includes the vendor.

According to your contract, merchants are not allowed to keep any form of your credit card info on hand once the sale has gone through. Ever wonder how Yahoo!, Amazon, et. al. manage to keep your credit card info "on file" for your next purchase? Yeah, they're breaching their contracts, but the CC companies are okay with it because those big sale houses are their bread and butter.

Scott Shepherd
09-09-2009, 1:26 PM
Just put a call into my processor. Without missing a beat, the answer for our account was "The Merchant is responsible". I explained it about every way I could, and the answer was always the same, "The Merchant is responsible".

Dave Johnson29
09-09-2009, 2:11 PM
the answer was always the same, "The Merchant is responsible".

Was that for a stolen card or a charge back?

I must confess I have experienced neither, so I am basing this all on the rules of my contract which have not been tested by me. :) Hopefully I will remain in the dark that issue.

I must say my merchant is very vigilant on what they approve. I have had orders two days apart on the same card and they will hold the second one's approval until I assure them by fax that I will accept the risk. I have not been burnt yet, but probably only a matter of time.

Based on their need for me to accept the risk in writing, I get the impression they are willing to live by the terms of our contract. I did sign with them may years back and they have not asked to modify the conditions so I may have been in the right place at the right time. :D

Scott Shepherd
09-09-2009, 2:40 PM
Dave, that was for a stolen card. If it makes it through their system, mainly confirmed by the AVS (address verification system), which it would, if it were stolen and they know the address, then it's my responsibility when the person that's card was stolen calls their credit card company and says "I didn't buy 50 banners that say 'Don't worry, be Happy' ".

Their bank is coming after me to find out how I verified it, I'll say through the AVS system and they'll say "We'll need you to refund that money, it was for a fraudulent charge".

I see it much like counterfeit money. If someone pays me with a $20 bill that's fake and I don't catch it, when I deposit it and they find it, I'm out $20.

I don't know how it all works, and like you, I hope I don't have to find out.

Dan Hintz
09-09-2009, 3:13 PM
It's a truly sad state of affairs, really... the CC companies don't want the rules to change because they're in their favor, and the lowly merchant is a grain of sand compared to the well paid interest groups supporting them. I cringe when I read of a fellow merchant screwed out of $40k because they were scammed with a stolen CC (not as uncommon as you would think... or hope). Some manage to trudge on, taking years to recover, others fold under the debt (a debt, I might add, you are completely responsible for... for those sole proprietorships out there, that could cost you your house!).

You better believe any time a petition comes up to change the rules, I add my name to it. why should the merchant be held responsible for stolen card charges if the CC companies claim their AVS system is so good? It's a scam from the top down.

Bill Cunningham
09-10-2009, 8:30 PM
Large purchases should always be done through a bank to bank transfer..or Interac debit transaction. I don't know how the banking system works in the U.S. (and apparently many of the U.S. banks don't either:rolleyes:) but in Canada Bank transfers or Interac email money transfers are the same as cash, and all the risk is with the 'purchaser'. If a unscrupulous vendor shafts them, or they have a beef, they have to get a refund directly from the merchant they paid. The banks or Interac do not get involved. Unfortunately, Interac email transfers are only available between the Major Canadian banks. Right now, when a scammer tells me he's in Canada, I direct him to pay by email interac. That way I'm safe.. Funny, the scammers never seem to continue with the order.. My customers love it, because a lot of folks don't want their card information going out into the eithernet, and feel safer with a bank interac transfer (and it cost 'them' 4 bucks, and me nothing!)..

Dave Johnson29
09-14-2009, 2:01 PM
Just put a call into my processor. Without missing a beat, the answer for our account was "The Merchant is responsible". I explained it about every way I could, and the answer was always the same, "The Merchant is responsible".

:D Scott, you must be sharing the love. Got a big order this morning and with your words ringing in my ears, I called my credit card merchant.

<sigh> As of October 1st, the "new " rules are they have abandoned the $40 and we now must accept full responsibility. They sent notices out last week, but mine has not yet arrived.

Seems the scammers were often in cahoots with a vendor. Come the charge back, the vendor was dipped the max 40-buck liability and the merchant carried the rest.

The way of the world. I am thinking of going back to taking checks only and shipping after they clear. :):)

Ed Hazel
09-14-2009, 3:35 PM
When I get a large order I require a check 50% down and the rest due at delivery. I am not a bank.

1. I don't have to pay the CC fees, CC fees on a 10k order could be in the $200 range.

In the beginning I let the buyer dictate the terms I have learned over the years it is better if I dictate the terms I have never lost a sale over this. I can not go to walmart and dictate how/when I am going to pay.

As a merchant taking CC you are extremely vulnerable. Basically if you do not have a customer signature on the CC slip you most prove that you shipped it to the customers address that is the same as on their CC.
If a customer calls and places an order over the phone or Internet and has you ship the item to their work address and you do it. They can call up their CC company and dispute the charges and you will be left with nothing.

Phil Garcia
09-14-2009, 3:56 PM
I have been getting the emails you mentioned for over a year now. I researched how the scam works and here it is.
The scammers use a stolen card, the charge goes through before the cardholder even know that his card information has been stolen. The merchant runs the card and everything seems ok for the moment.
The reason the volume of the order is so high is because they(the scammers) want the shipping weight to be high, this is where the scam gets interesting.
The scammers are in with a fictitious shipping company. When the order is ready to be shipped they will tell you that the shipping will require cash, money order or cashiers check for shipping since they do not take credit cards, they will ask you to pay the shipper and run the charge on the card or bill them for the shipping. You pay the funds to the shipper who never shows up for the merchantdise and they get the cash. Most of the engravers that have fallen to this scam lose between $750 to $2000. So, beware, it's not worth even trying. I spent a lot of time figuring this one out.:mad:

Dave Johnson29
09-14-2009, 8:45 PM
you most prove that you shipped it to the customers address that is the same as on their CC.

Thanks Ed, I got the card merchant Risk section on to it and they said they spent almost half an hour on the phone checking with the issuing bank and other databases and they felt the risk is minimal. Albeit my risk. :D

I also did an Intellius search and there was about 12 listings for the name and address and the details all checked out there, so I am going to take the risk.

We deliver with Delivery Confirmation and our card processing uses AVS so at this stage I am confident it is all OK.

Hell, it is only money. ;)

Dave Johnson29
09-14-2009, 8:46 PM
I have been getting the emails you mentioned for over a year now. I researched how the scam works and here it is.

Thanks Phil, I was wondering how it worked when using a credit card. The cash request comes later.

Phil Garcia
09-14-2009, 9:41 PM
Dave, please take a look at this link. I would hate to see a fellow SMC'er get scammed. The link explains it just as I had mentioned.:(

http://800notes.com/Phone.aspx/1-215-469-6965

Rodne Gold
09-14-2009, 11:27 PM
The sad part about my business is that the biggest scam artists and non payers come from religious orgs...especially non mainstream ones - we do no work for new "religious" clients unless it is paid for in cash up front..a few ruin it for many.
I would be very suspicious of hotmail or gmail accounts .. In fact my mail client is programmed to just delete em regardless ..as spam

Dave Johnson29
09-15-2009, 10:42 AM
Dave, please take a look at this link. I would hate to see a fellow SMC'er get scammed.

Phil,

Thanks for the link, but I should have explained this is not one of "those" orders. It is an order for another of my businesses and it was not sent as an email, but a shopping cart order.

It was for a large dollar value and all the items are the top of the line versions of the products. Having been diligent with questions and searches, I have decided the risk is acceptable.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Phil Garcia
09-15-2009, 2:48 PM
Ok, I am so sorry.... I completely misunderstood. Anyway, now you know if one comes in via email.

Bill Cunningham
09-15-2009, 9:53 PM
I have a lot of legitimate customers that use hotmail, gmail, and yahoo accounts, so filtering them all out would cost me a lot of business. The scammers seem to stand out like a sore thumb. Individuals use the free accounts, but if your a legitimate business, you probably have a 'real' email account, or at least you should have. ABCInternationalCorporation@gmail.com or something else equally ridiculous, always raises a red flag for me! :D