PDA

View Full Version : Question about posting pics in a thread

Stephen Edwards
09-07-2009, 5:58 PM
How many photos can we have in one post? Seems like I read somewhere that there's a limit of 5 pics per post, but can't seem to find that info now?

I want to do a new thread with more than 5 pics. The thread will be in the General Woodworking and Power Tools forum. It will be about my new shop built DP table. I'd like to show the construction details.

Do I need to do separate posts to get more than 5 pics? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Steve Schlumpf
09-07-2009, 6:11 PM
Stephen,

The limit is 5 photos per post - not thread. What you do is get your first post completed - photos and all - and then post it. Immediately hit the Quick reply button so that you can answer your own post. This establishes the sequence. Add text, photos and then post. Repeat as needed until you have all your photos and text completed.

PM me or any mod if you require any assistance.

Stephen Edwards
09-07-2009, 6:38 PM
Stephen,

The limit is 5 photos per post - not thread. What you do is get your first post completed - photos and all - and then post it. Immediately hit the Quick reply button so that you can answer your own post. This establishes the sequence. Add text, photos and then post. Repeat as needed until you have all your photos and text completed.

PM me or any mod if you require any assistance.

Thanks Steve!!! The Quick Reply button is the trick I needed to know. I've never used that function so it's good to know about. I've seen similar threads and wondered how they got all of their posts in sequence without other people's replies in between their posts.

Thanks again, Steve.

Steve Schlumpf
09-07-2009, 6:42 PM
If by chance someone jumps in and knocks things out of sequence - any mod can rearrange things for you. Good luck with it! Looking forward to seeing your post!

Stephen Edwards
09-07-2009, 6:55 PM
testing quick reply feature......please ignore.

Dave Johnson29
09-08-2009, 11:01 AM
The Quick Reply button is the trick

Er I'm confused. Why not put them all on something like photobucket, flicker etc? No rush to get them in sequence then just post a link to the album. Also those sites have a much larger allowable pic size so you are not having to shrink everything within the 'creek allowances.

Or am I missing something?

Stephen Edwards
09-08-2009, 11:15 AM
Er I'm confused. Why not put them all on something like photobucket, flicker etc? No rush to get them in sequence then just post a link to the album. Also those sites have a much larger allowable pic size so you are not having to shrink everything within the 'creek allowances.

Hey Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion. However, with Steve Schlumpf's help I was able to figure it out.

In the past when I've done a thread with lots of pics I've been asked to post the pics on the SMC server so that the pics will actually be "on file" in the archives of SMC. At least, that's how I understood it.

Thanks again for your suggestion.

Jerome Hanby
09-08-2009, 11:17 AM

One big reason is that sites like that are often blocked by employers. I know I hit many SMC posts that obviously have pictures that I'm not seeing. A quick look at the page source usually indicates that they are on photobucket. If it's something I'm pretty sure i want to see, I cut and paste the url into an email to myself at home.

Another reason is those sites are not eternal. I've hit many resources on the WWW where the pictures that go along with the page are no longer available.

Steve Schlumpf
09-08-2009, 11:33 AM
One of the big reasons we want folks to upload their photos to Sawmill is to make sure the photos always stay part of the thread. Many times folks who store their photos at other sites either change hosting sites or that site closes leaving us with a lot of text and no photos to clarify things.

Lately we are noticing a real problem starting to surface with some of these free photo hosting sites and that is with embedded ads - many of which are of a mature nature and highly undesirable! Once a member clicks a link that takes them outside of the Creek - we have no control over the material they may be exposed to. Obviously, this could be extremely upsetting to the person expecting to view woodworking photos.

Keith Outten
09-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Dave,

Have you seen a thread here that caught your eye, possibly it had information you really needed and when you clicked on the link to the thread all the picture attachments were little red X's.

Thats what you get, sooner or later almost every photo hosting service goes out of business, starts charging for their services or they implement some kind of time frame for pictures being deleted.

Pictures that people took the time to upload here in 2003 are still here for you to enjoy. Our archives are a Library of sorts with reference material, information and over 95,000 pictures/file attachments.

Please do everyone a favor and upload your pictures here at The Creek so the time you spend sharing information with your friends will be worthwhile and woodworkers ten years from now will enjoy your effort.
Many of the photo hosting sites assume ownership of your pictures when you upload them, we don't.

Stephen Edwards
09-08-2009, 1:04 PM
.....Please do everyone a favor and upload your pictures here at The Creek so the time you spend sharing information with your friends will be worthwhile and woodworkers ten years from now will enjoy your effort......

Amen! I spent several hours taking the photos, resizing them, organizing them into separate folders for each successive post, writing the text, etc. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed doing it. But, I'd hate for all that work to go down the drain. So, I understand the reason for posting our pics here on the Creek, not on an external site. As Keith said, the threads and pics will be here as long as there's a SMC! I hope that's for a lonnnnng time!

Keith Outten
09-08-2009, 2:27 PM
I expect The Creek will be around for a long time to come. Aaron is still young and he can take my place in a microsecond should anything happen to me. Not that I'm planning on anything....I still have a few good miles in me yet :)

Jim Becker
09-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Er I'm confused. Why not put them all on something like photobucket, flicker etc?

Because they don't stay with the text of the post into the future when someone deletes them "out there" (or the service goes away) and...because we may discontinue allowing links to outside hosting at some point because of a variety of issues we experience from that practice. SMC participants are highly recommended to upload their pictures "here". And they are automatically resized now if you don't want to take the time to tweak them yourself.

Jim
SMC Moderator