PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot

Matt Walton
09-07-2009, 5:31 PM
now this is just sad, I was at Home Depot the other day, and saw this board of "Select Red Oak"
Disclaimer:
the picture of the tag on the last one did come from a different one, which I think is legit, but I am 99.99% sure that the other one said that as well.

Tony Bilello
09-07-2009, 7:29 PM
HD is the K-Mart of lumber stores.
I rarely ever buy anything there and even then it might only be a 2X4 or two. If I need 3 I will go to a lumber yard further down the road.
The thought of buying hardwood or hardwood plywood at HD would never even occur to me. I will drive 3 hours round trip to buy quality plywood or have them deliver rather than buy it from HD.
As a matter of fact, HD is the only place you will find warped sheets of MDF.

Peter Quinn
09-07-2009, 8:05 PM
Those picks look pretty good compared to what my local HD carries. Once in a while you can find a piece of hard maple that has some figure to it and actually represents a value, but mostly the stuff is mishandled bottom of the barrel junk best avoided. You can do it.....but they ain't much help.

Jacob Griffith
09-07-2009, 9:58 PM
HD is the only place you will find warped sheets of MDF.

LOL...how true

John Coloccia
09-08-2009, 2:45 AM
HD is the K-Mart of lumber stores.
I rarely ever buy anything there and even then it might only be a 2X4 or two. If I need 3 I will go to a lumber yard further down the road.
The thought of buying hardwood or hardwood plywood at HD would never even occur to me. I will drive 3 hours round trip to buy quality plywood or have them deliver rather than buy it from HD.

Personally, I've given up on even buying 2X4 there. It's far quicker and less frustrating to drive an extra 10 minutes to my local lumber yard than it is to pick through their pile of 2X4s looking for one or two that are reasonably straight without big chunks missing or sap dripping from every pore.

Mike Lipke
09-08-2009, 8:57 AM
You are doing well, actually. At my Menard's store, the 2 bys stlll have branches growing out of them.

Matt Walton
09-08-2009, 9:31 AM
Personally, I've given up on even buying 2X4 there. It's far quicker and less frustrating to drive an extra 10 minutes to my local lumber yard than it is to pick through their pile of 2X4s looking for one or two that are reasonably straight without big chunks missing or sap dripping from every pore.
Unfortunately, I'm not so lucky. When I look on WoodFinder, the closest thing to my zip code is Ceder Depot, which is wholesale only, and 27 miles away. After that, it's Rockler in Arlington (31), Hardwood Lumber Company of Dallas (34), Woodcraft in Addison (35), Brazos Forest Products in Grand Prairie (35), and Wood World in Dallas (36). And since I'm only 14, my dad has to take me everywhere, and he's not too crazy about driving to anywhere except the local Ace Hardware which is about 3 miles away.

Peter Stahl
09-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Unfortunately, I'm not so lucky. When I look on WoodFinder, the closest thing to my zip code is Ceder Depot, which is wholesale only, and 27 miles away. After that, it's Rockler in Arlington (31), Hardwood Lumber Company of Dallas (34), Woodcraft in Addison (35), Brazos Forest Products in Grand Prairie (35), and Wood World in Dallas (36). And since I'm only 14, my dad has to take me everywhere, and he's not too crazy about driving to anywhere except the local Ace Hardware which is about 3 miles away.

Matt, Lots of good online suppliers. Maybe your parents would charge it for you. The only woodworking I ever did at your age was in school. The teacher did get us hardwoods to use though.

Howard Acheson
09-08-2009, 12:23 PM
I'm not sure what your issue is. All the pictures show lumber that qualifies for the designation of "select". However, "select", by itself, is not a proper lumber grade. "Select" boards are those suitable for clear coating or painting. Select grade "A" & "B" are suitablle for clear coating while Select grades "C" & "D" are suitable for painting. Of course if you want a board that you plan to stain and/or clear coat you want to buy "Select A" or "Select B".

In general, the big boxes do not sell Select A or Select B lumber. They sell Select C or Select D.

If the lumber is labeled only "Select" assume it's the lowest grade. "Selec", by itself, tells you nothing.

For a more complete discussion of lumber grading, go to: http://www.tpub.com/engbas/6-2.htm

BTW, the big boxes don't sell top grade sheet goods either--nor do they claim they do.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-08-2009, 12:48 PM
Agree, if you're looking for "fine furniture" quality lumber, you should not look in your local HARDWARE store. You should go to a lumber yard. The hardware stores sell lumber for the weekend projects and construction lumber.

Chris Tsutsui
09-08-2009, 12:50 PM
There's 3 home depots in my area, and one of them has really slow business.

I went to look at their lumber and they've got very low quantities of sheet goods. However, every sheet looked severly twisted bowed and warped. Their stock literally looked like nobody would ever buy a sheet there.

On the other hand, I went to a different HD that has the most contractor sales, and you will see fresh looking plywood... only sometimes that plywood will warp after cutting. It's like a guessing game. Maybe if they had a good batch I would buy more.

Home depot is good for other things though of course.

BTW, did anyone notice the cost of MDF went down along with the ENR cost index?

Several years ago it was $21 a sheet, then it quickly went up to $32 a year ago, now its $29.

Peter Stahl
09-08-2009, 2:04 PM
I'm not sure what your issue is. All the pictures show lumber that qualifies for the designation of "select". However, "select", by itself, is not a proper lumber grade. "Select" boards are those suitable for clear coating or painting. Select grade "A" & "B" are suitablle for clear coating while Select grades "C" & "D" are suitable for painting. Of course if you want a board that you plan to stain and/or clear coat you want to buy "Select A" or "Select B".

In general, the big boxes do not sell Select A or Select B lumber. They sell Select C or Select D.

If the lumber is labeled only "Select" assume it's the lowest grade. "Selec", by itself, tells you nothing.

For a more complete discussion of lumber grading, go to: http://www.tpub.com/engbas/6-2.htm

BTW, the big boxes don't sell top grade sheet goods either--nor do they claim they do.

Give the kid a break he's only 14, he's still learning.

Matt Walton
09-08-2009, 7:49 PM
I'm trying to get wood to make my mom the knife block from Popular Woodworking #177 (August).
My parents aren't mean, but I have to pay for all my magazine subscriptions.

Matt Walton
09-08-2009, 7:50 PM
And from those three magazine subscriptions, I have heard time and again about seeing the wood before you buy. But I guess if one buys from a reputable source, they don't have to worry about knots.

Ed Hazel
09-08-2009, 8:23 PM
Matt
What size pieces do you need are you looking for Red Oak? I would be happy to look thru my cut offs ect. I am assuming you will need small pieces.

Matt Walton
09-08-2009, 9:08 PM
Matt
What size pieces do you need are you looking for Red Oak? I would be happy to look thru my cut offs ect. I am assuming you will need small pieces.
Thanks, but no thanks. I just need to scout some more, I know someone who is in possession of a planer, so I will find a real 1x12, plane it down, I'll be good to go.
He's actually pretty willing, he would just rather not, I can get him to drive me if I really need something.
Thanks again, but the pieces are all fairly big.

James Baker SD
09-08-2009, 10:10 PM

Not true. Dixieline in Southern Cal stocks them also. ;)

Dan Friedrichs
09-08-2009, 10:37 PM
You are doing well, actually. At my Menard's store, the 2 bys stlll have branches growing out of them.

Ha!
At least at Menards, I feel like they're being honest with you. It's like, "Yeah, this is cheap junk. But it's cheap!". At HD/Lowes, I always feel like they're trying to cheat me by putting "lipstick on the pig".

Matt Walton
10-26-2009, 9:56 PM

But it's three 1x4's edge jointed together! that's my problem! :p

Wayne Sparkman
10-26-2009, 10:18 PM
Away from woodworking for too long, I bought some 3/4 oak ply at HD. Last time ever. Stuff was accurately a full 11/16 thick. The other guys, the ones with the LOWESt prices, sell ply that is 1/32 undersize, and I can manage with that (even have one of those undersized router bits now), but the HD stuff twisted badly after ripping to size. Unworkable and a waste of money.

Dale Lesak
10-26-2009, 10:32 PM
My HD carries two grades of red oak. the "Good" stuff thats wrapped in plastic and is priced like gold. and the stuff you have to go look for is what they call "Random" oak it's not with the regular oak and it's not wrapped. it is sanded 2 sides and one good edge. (Most of the time) I get this for 1/2 the good stuff goes for. I have always had better luck with this stuff then their "Good" grade. Dale

Jim Foster
10-27-2009, 7:40 AM
Around here, the Oak at HD is ususally 100% knot free and very straight grained. It costs a fortune, but it's very clean and for the most part machined pretty well. I'm sure their are some boards that look ugly, but overall the quality and price are both high. I won't comment on plywood or construction lumber though.

James Carmichael
10-27-2009, 8:01 AM
I have to agree with Howard, those are Select boards. In fact, the Red Oak and Poplar I see at HD is quite good, but it's dimensional S4S and too dang expensive for me.

You're pretty close to Austin Hardwoods in Irving, IIRC it's on Matthis right off of Royal Lane. Also try Brazos Forrest Products in Grand Prarie, they're just off of 360, Post & Paddock exit.

Michael Schwartz
10-27-2009, 8:47 AM

I started out with hardwoods from home depot when I was 14.

Check and see if there are any local cabinet shops or furniture makers. Email them and explain your starting out and ask if they have any free time. You might be able to buy some boards off them, and they probably have more scraps then they know what to do with. Just be honest with the fact your a student and that your new.

Phil Thien
10-27-2009, 9:07 AM

One thing that site misses is that select has to be (I think) at least 60" long. If it isn't 60", it can't be select.

I've often run into beautiful lumber that is 4' long and sold at common prices. Only at lumber yards, of course. But for projects where I don't need long stuff, it can save a bundle.

Phil Thien
10-27-2009, 9:14 AM
My local HD has decent oak, maple, and poplar. But they may as well all be glued together because the price is so high nobody can afford them.

Their construction lumber isn't very hot. But it is usable in a pinch.

My Menards has some pretty nice stuff. I recently needed a cedar 1x8. Local lumber yard wanted $6 or $7 a linear food for clear, straight-grained cedar. Menards had one beautiful clear/straight board in their bin (less than $2/foot), and others that were passable for about the same price.

Marty Gulseth
10-27-2009, 9:22 AM
I've been reading this thread, and I just want to say congrats to Matt! A 14 y/o who is savvy enough to think through a project, do his (or her) homework, find this site and ask for insight - nicely done! NO WAY was I that organized at your age. Best wishes with your project and your hobby, Matt.

Regards,
Marty

Matt Walton
10-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Thanks, Marty.
My uncle (Bill Walton, who is on this site) is a real woodworker, so I am always asking his opinion on stuff.
Update: I got that wood planed down, now all I need is a day that isn't wet, and that I'm actually free. Maybe thanksgiving weekend...

Jim Riseborough
10-27-2009, 12:43 PM

Look on craigslist...bound to be people giving/selling good lumber

Stephen Edwards
10-27-2009, 12:59 PM
Depending on where you live, CL is often a great source for good lumber as someone else already pointed out. I've found some really great deals on there.

Furthermore, some of the CL sellers will sell you just a board or two if that's all you want.

Matt Walton
10-27-2009, 1:36 PM
Wow, I never really thought of that.

Homer Faucett
10-27-2009, 1:56 PM
Thank you for saving my sanity, Chris! I was sure that I bought 3 sheets of MDF for $18 each about 6 years ago. CDX hasn't gone up that much since then, so I couldn't understand why MDF was $30 per sheet. I thought I was simply misremembering.

BTW, did anyone notice the cost of MDF went down along with the ENR cost index?

Several years ago it was $21 a sheet, then it quickly went up to $32 a year ago, now its $29.

Danny Hamsley
10-27-2009, 8:33 PM
I sell lumber on craigslist and have people coming from over 200 miles to get it. Red & white oak, yellow poplar, black walnut, sycamore, sweetgum, maple, red cedar, chinaberry. However, it is all air-dried 4/4, and rough saw to a full 1". I also sell 8/4 (full 2") in red oak, white oak, and yellow poplar.

Anyway....I have a portable sawmill that I purchased to saw lumber for my own furniture projects but I can't seem to quit sawing logs and I have my sheds full of lumber! I guess that is a good problem to have and it is why I sell some to other woodworkers. Sometimes when someone buys a nice FAS red oak board for $2.00/bd-ft I tell them that if they bought it at HD it would be three times more.

Selling to others who love woodworking is fun and I try to sell at more than a fair price. It is very hard to get good hardwood around here in central Georgia.

Barry Nelson
10-28-2009, 12:07 AM
Home Depot is about to amalgamate with Australias' leading super market chain to start a new hardware chain over here.They have already(subject to govt approval)bought out one of the bigger wholesalers who supply all the opposition shops.
Bunnings over here holds the biggest market share, so dont know if there will be room for another chain although given the predatory behaviour of the supermarket chain who knows? :rolleyes:

Matt Walton
10-29-2009, 3:08 PM
What would you suggest as searching terms?

Rick Fisher
10-29-2009, 5:13 PM
I am a lumberyard owner.. We stock 4/4 red oak in S2S1E.. We have been stocking FAS shorts lately.. nice enough stock, cheap because of the short lengths..

I also just ordered in 100bf of 8/4 Rough, Quartersawn Red oak for myself.. I ordered it on Monday, it should have arrived today..

My point is this.. if you have a local lumberyard.. you can ask them to order it for you..

This stuff, I guess I would sell, in Canada for $7.25 a board foot.. Not cheap.. I ordered it for myself.. its all "Wides" .. should be 2x8 - 2x12.. all Quartersawn and the supplier I get it from is never the cheapest.. His stock is all 2 1/8" thick.. which is important to me.

If you see a yard stocking cheaper oak .. (not the borg).. ask for the buyer and then inquire as to who the supplier is..

Get the phone number of the wholesaler.. they wont sell you, but they will tell you what they stock.. (grades, etc).

Then ask the buyer at the store to get you a price.

Danny Hamsley
10-29-2009, 8:52 PM
Matt,

Go to this Craigslist Search site and move the little red ball to set the search area. I think that is is set now for 150 miles. Put in your zipcode and "black walnut lumber" as an example and it will show all the craigslist offerings for black walnut within 150 miles from you (or whatever you set the search distance to). This is a neat search site to use for finding things on Craigslist. If you were closer to me, I would sell you some!

http://www.searchtempest.com/

Randall Clark
10-29-2009, 11:44 PM
I stopped by a local, good quality cabinet shop and talked with the owner. He assured me that he gets quality lumber from a place down in Detroit (60 miles away). He also said that he would get anything I wanted at his price. It's good stuff. It's a little more expensive, but the quality is well worth it. The only downside is that I have to wait for his timing on making a supply run. I would never have thought that they would do that, but they were great.

Anthony Whitesell
10-30-2009, 7:55 AM
It's funny, when I was in HD to buy something the other day I realised that when you need someone, you can find anyone. When you don't, they're worse than flies on honey.

Prashun Patel
10-30-2009, 8:03 AM
Man, I can never understand why people get so flamey about HD.

It's a 'superstore'! You get cheap stuff there. There are good deals to be had, but for the most part it's buyer-beware. The typical HD buyer, though either knows enough to spot the dif between good/bad quality - or he doesn't care. They're serving a need. Be thankful they exist when you want that bargain.

Far more sinister is are Walmarts of the world, where you can't tell the difference between good/bad quality until after you use it.