PDA

View Full Version : RAS question

Matt Wolboldt
09-07-2009, 1:12 PM
My craftsman RAS just bit the dust. I'm feeling like it's not really worth my time to fix it. What would you do with it?

Fred Hargis
09-07-2009, 3:15 PM
If it qualifies for a rebate on the recall, I'd send the motor in. Otherwise, some of the parts might be sold on e-bay (especially if you're more reasonable on pricing than almost everybody else over there). And lastly, I wouldn't do this, but some guys are making overarm routers out of the arm/carriage assembly.

Alex Leslie
09-07-2009, 6:04 PM
If it's just the motor, you may be able to have it rewound at a repair shop, usually $200-400 depending on the HP. If there are bearings out on the guide, you may be able to replace them, which is only a few hours if you really want to keep it.

All that being said, my RAS languishes under a coat of dust in a forgotten corner of my shop. I have since replaced its tasks with a Jet tablesaw, Bosch SCMS and Festool routers with guide rails.

John McClanahan
09-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Around here, Craigslist always has a selection to choose from in the $100-$150 range. Usually Craftsman.

John

Matt Wolboldt
09-07-2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys.

Bruce Wrenn
09-08-2009, 10:20 PM
Matt, you said it died. Did you let the magic smoke out of the wires,or does it just hum. If it's the second one, you probably have a start switch / start capacitor problem, both of which are easily fixed. That is unless the halves of your motor were put together with epoxy. How old is your saw?

Matt Wolboldt
09-08-2009, 10:23 PM
I'm not sure the age, I'm guessing the 70's. There's no noise. It's just dead. I was crosscutting some maple and then the motor wouldn't start.

Rick Alexander
09-10-2009, 11:04 AM
and a lot of folks have gotten away from RAS's but I still love having mine. The atlanta craig's list has had several old Dewalt's lately for pretty reasonable prices. I stepped up last year from a Craftsman to a Dewalt 14 inch 3 HP beast and I gotta say it still brings a little smile to my face every time I use it. It was made in 1970 and was obviously made for commercial use but it sure is a dream to use. My back fence is set for 2 inch cut and still that gives me right at 19 inch crosscut capacity and a motor that doesn't even think about slowing down or climbing the board. Tuning the cut is an absolute breeze for this saw too. I paid $600 for mine and I see them pretty often in that price range. It's a little big and very heavy and a little loud but man what a beast.

phil harold
09-10-2009, 1:29 PM
http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/ get money to buy a used dewalt...

If it qualifies for a rebate on the recall, I'd send the motor in. Otherwise, some of the parts might be sold on e-bay (especially if you're more reasonable on pricing than almost everybody else over there). And lastly, I wouldn't do this, but some guys are making overarm routers out of the arm/carriage assembly.